You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Freddie_Creamer

Canadian weapon laws

87 comments in this topic

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Doesn't everyone want spiked flails? :cap_yes:

[TF16B]
Members
8,062 posts
16,992 battles

At original, wood-stock SKS is perfectly fine; but if you convert it to use an aftermarket stock (any of a number of various 'plastic' stocks,) it became an 'assault' weapon in some parts of the US, and thus illegal to own...

Same action, same magazine capacity depending on the options you choose, but suddenly it is a scarier, more dangerous weapon, and is thus illegal.

[SYN]
Members
14,370 posts
10,239 battles

In Canada, if you are not a LEO, you can carry bear spray, but you can't use it on humans or even have pepper spray, because it is intended to be used against humans.

Yeah, it's weird, but I haven't noticed a need to carry pepper spray or a handgun in Canada (except in certain neighborhoods where everyone stays away from anyways)

• Cool 1

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,319 posts

I just carry one of these for self defense~   ...and everything else.

[SOUP]
7,319 posts
43 minutes ago, Edselman said:

I'm glad I live in America. 

I'm glad you live in a paranoid society that thinks it needs to open-carry a Bofors for "protection" too, nice and safe up here~<3

• Cool 1

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,524 posts
3,515 battles
49 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

I'm glad you live in a paranoid society that thinks it needs to open-carry a Bofors for "protection" too, nice and safe up here~<3

Better to have it and never need it then not have it when you really need it. I come from a family of cops and I went to the academy myself, yes the chances of a person needing a gun is incredibly small, but there's a reason they always carry.

Hey I won that lottery when a thug put a gun against my forehead 2 years ago and called me a little [edited] and I'm lucky to be here now. I wasn't carrying that day because I just didn't really feel the need to, I was in a nice area in the middle of the day with plenty of people around. I ended up being the only person to call the cops, took them 6 or 7 minutes to arrive which felt like years. I'm pretty serious about carrying now and train regularly and I pray the day never comes that I have to use that training. So ya call me paranoid, but till you have been there then you don't have a clue

[SOUP]
7,319 posts
Just now, Psycodiver said:

but till you have been there then you don't have a clue

Yeah, it must suck living in a country where everyone is worried that the person next to them is about to whip out an AR-15 and mow everyone down or set off a pipe bomb or fly a plane into your house.
Up here, the biggest threat to a Canadian is a moose on a rampage, and a gun won't help against that. Meanwhile, the leading cause of death in America is other Americans. So you guys go ahead and think you're Shiva and can wield all 28 of your guns at once, meanwhile the rest of the world is going to go have adult conversations.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,674 posts
7,503 battles
12 hours ago, MrDeaf said:

In Canada, if you are not a LEO, you can carry bear spray, but you can't use it on humans or even have pepper spray, because it is intended to be used against humans.

Yeah, it's weird, but I haven't noticed a need to carry pepper spray or a handgun in Canada (except in certain neighborhoods where everyone stays away from anyways)

Unless yer in Bear county and then pepper spray and a good set a running shoes works wonders... just make sure you spray some in the direction of the bear before running... those succers are fast

Members
689 posts
1,107 battles
1 hour ago, Chobittsu said:

the biggest threat to a Canadian is a moose on a rampage, and a gun won't help against that. 

I'm not so sure about that...

Edited by Freddie_Creamer

[SOUP]
7,319 posts
50 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

Unless yer in Bear county and then pepper spray and a good set a running shoes works wonders... just make sure you spray some in the direction of the bear before running... those succers are fast

Was face-to-face with a cougar once in the middle of the night. Wasn't a gun that saved me, was quick thinking and a tractor that did it~

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,524 posts
3,515 battles
54 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

Yeah, it must suck living in a country where everyone is worried that the person next to them is about to whip out an AR-15 and mow everyone down or set off a pipe bomb or fly a plane into your house.
Up here, the biggest threat to a Canadian is a moose on a rampage, and a gun won't help against that. Meanwhile, the leading cause of death in America is other Americans. So you guys go ahead and think you're Shiva and can wield all 28 of your guns at once, meanwhile the rest of the world is going to go have adult conversations.

I have a better chance at winning the lottery like 20 times than seeing a mass shooting, but regular crimes involving weapons is much more common, they don't happen up in Canada because it's too damn cold. Funny though about the moose, a co-worker of mine grew up in Alaska, him and everyone he knew carried big pistols and high powered rifles all the time mainly for defense from wid animals, a .454 casull will stop a bear and put down a moose, but hey like I said, I've lived it first hand, you haven't and until you have you have no clue. So go ahead and continue to make light of someone nearly murdering me when I had a wife and son at home and the fact I made a decision to do everything in my power to make sure that never happens again

BTW the leading cause if death here is still our fat selves eating ourselves to death and being waaaaaay to easy to get a license (motor vehicles accidents is what I'm referring to). Being murdered is pretty far down the list

Members
689 posts
1,107 battles
2 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

Was face-to-face with a cougar once in the middle of the night. Wasn't a gun that saved me, was quick thinking and a tractor that did it~

Not a very good cougar...

Members
689 posts
1,107 battles
2 minutes ago, Psycodiver said:

I have a better chance at winning the lottery like 20 times than seeing a mass shooting, but regular crimes involving weapons is much more common, they don't happen up in Canada because it's too damn cold. Funny though about the moose, a co-worker of mine grew up in Alaska, him and everyone he knew carried big pistols and high powered rifles all the time mainly for defense from wid animals, a .454 casull will stop a bear and put down a moose, but hey like I said, I've lived it first hand, you haven't and until you have you have no clue. So go ahead and continue to make light of someone nearly murdering me when I had a wife and son at home and the fact I made a decision to do everything in my power to make sure that never happens again

BTW the leading cause if death here is still our fat selves eating ourselves to death and being waaaaaay to easy to get a license (motor vehicles accidents is what I'm referring to). Being murdered is pretty far down the list

A Glock 10mm will drop a moose pretty good too.

Members
689 posts
1,107 battles
2 minutes ago, Cuesta_Rey said:

When good, law abiding citizens cannot own firearms, only criminals own firearms. Simple as that.

Criminals just get there hands on them anyway regardless have how much they are banned. The laws just make it harder for law-abiding, responsible people to collect them. It also has to do with the melee weapons mentioned in the video too. 

• Cool 1

Members
689 posts
1,107 battles

It just seems silly to me that a hand crossbow is illegal but a full crossbow is fine, like he says in the video it's completely arbitrary. 

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,805 posts
4,224 battles
9 hours ago, Chobittsu said:

Meanwhile, the leading cause of death in America is other Americans.

Technically, it's Drunk Driving

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,805 posts
4,224 battles
9 hours ago, Cuesta_Rey said:

When good, law abiding citizens cannot own firearms, only criminals own firearms. Simple as that.

This argument has no sense of scale. Here, let me give you an example.

"If nuclear weapons are illegal, only criminals will have nuclear weapons."

Nuclear weapons ARE illegal, and less than 0.1% of all criminals have nuclear weapons.

But more and more criminals get their hands on guns because pro-"safety" (translation: pro-increased-sales) gun dealers keep lobbying the government to remove criminal/psychological background checks and increase the size of the market for the gun industry. Then, gun crime increases, and then gun dealers cite the increased crime rates as even to relax the laws even further, and the problem escalates.

Studies have actually shown the opposite of what you claim: more guns do not make people safer. In fact, in a well-supported Stanford study as recent as 2 months ago has shown absolutely that there is absolutely no basis to the claim that guns make people safer, and, furthermore, it was shown that in "Shall Issue" states (where laws require that anyone who meets certain basic criteria is automatically issued a Concealed Carry Permit when they apply), violent crime rose 13-15% over what was expected after "Shall-Issue" laws were enacted (read the source to know how this was determined, it's actually pretty neat). This study took over a decade of crime data from official records published by the various states. This is significant because no previous study had had enough data to determine whether increased gun ownership had any affect on crime rates, where as the Stanford study was able to conclude within a small margin of error that violent crime actually increased with increased gun ownership.

http://news.stanford.edu/2017/06/21/violent-crime-increases-right-carry-states/

The study also showed that incarceration rates for violent crime increased in "Shall-Issue" states moreso than in "May-Issue" (where the state is allowed to perform background checks upon individuals applying for Concealed Carry) states.

Edited by Carrier_Lexington

[ARRGG]
Members
4,674 posts
7,503 battles
7 hours ago, Cuesta_Rey said:

The reality of it is that many Canadians own guns especially in the rual country areas

were I live on many Sundays you can hear skeet shooting at the local outdoor gun range with shotguns

Honestly Ive never had a conversation in Canada were someone said I want a gun for protection from ...people,that thought or mindset  , " does not exist here" thank heavens for that

we do not need assault rifles nor would I want one although I had a great time shooting them in the Army 

good luck with yours

[ARRGG]
Members
4,674 posts
7,503 battles
9 hours ago, Chobittsu said:

Your talking about the 4 legged furry type .... right?

• Cool 1

Members
1,063 posts
6,148 battles
2 hours ago, Carrier_Lexington said:

This argument has no sense of scale. Here, let me give you an example.

"If nuclear weapons are illegal, only criminals will have nuclear weapons."

Nuclear weapons ARE illegal, and less than 0.1% of all criminals have nuclear weapons.

But more and more criminals get their hands on guns because pro-"safety" (translation: pro-increased-sales) gun dealers keep lobbying the government to remove criminal/psychological background checks and increase the size of the market for the gun industry. Then, gun crime increases, and then gun dealers cite the increased crime rates as even to relax the laws even further, and the problem escalates.

Your analogy is absurd.

2 hours ago, Carrier_Lexington said:

Studies have actually shown the opposite of what you claim: more guns do not make people safer. 

I made no such claim. Quote me where I did. Why do people like you love to make up things as they go along? I guess it goes along with the "here, let me steal your constitutional rights before you hurt yourself with them" mentality.

Oh, that's right. Excuse me. Canadians have no such rights. 

[SOUP]
7,319 posts
3 hours ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

Your talking about the 4 legged furry type .... right?

Yeah, thought a calf got loose in the cornfield so I plod out there with a flashlight, spot a couple of eyes and was like "Oh theres the lil s***". Get to the edge of the cornfield, bout 5m from it and I hear that gurgling purr thing you get from big cats. So I nope'd the f*** outta there and climbed into a tractor that was close by. Kitty did follow by I think he was a bit confused when I hawked the flashlight at him