You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Reymu

How to KMS DD?

11 comments in this topic

[NG-NL]
Members
4,952 posts
8,094 battles

Far as I can tell from getting pancaked, they're not meant to play except as Russian DDs with decent torps. Had a lot of stinking famine in attempting to get torp hits and being upstaged by better DD players.

1 point away from CE, so I suppose don't contest caps at all unless support pushes cap with me, and given the 7.5km detect no use trying to stealth torp either.

What else am I doing wrong? All 5 replays are attached.

20170920_160914_PGSD107-Leberecht-Maass_23_Shards.wowsreplay

20170920_155307_PGSD107-Leberecht-Maass_50_Gold_harbor.wowsreplay

20170920_112013_PGSD107-Leberecht-Maass_50_Gold_harbor.wowsreplay

20170920_171457_PGSD107-Leberecht-Maass_22_tierra_del_fuego.wowsreplay

20170920_162846_PGSD107-Leberecht-Maass_23_Shards.wowsreplay

[SF-A]
Members
2,847 posts
5,547 battles

Be a torpedoboat until you find a good spot to smoke. Then use your good AP to farm damage off of oblivious BB players who don't expect to take damage. You can also citadel some cruiser if they close with you, which is nice.

^This works well enough for me on Gaede with the 150s.

[NOOOB]
Members
1,437 posts
12,035 battles

Torp boats, with good reload times.  Biggest mistake with this line is being Too aggressive... pick you times to knife fight, especially at higher tiers, torps don't hit that hard, but you can spawn a lot over time.  Smoke with hydro great, but you have to get into position.  

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,796 battles
18 hours ago, Reymu said:

Far as I can tell from getting pancaked, they're not meant to play except as Russian DDs with decent torps.

I play them more like USN DD's with better guns; they're way too fragile to play like Russian DD's.

Members
1,624 posts
9,723 battles

Sub T5 is about learning to torp boat.  T5 is crap.  Free XP it if you can.  T6 is decent, and things get better from there.  T6 and up you get good 128mm and 150mm guns.  Z-46 and Z-52 are some of  the best DDs in the game, especially for solo use.

The most important thing you can learn is to use the AP correctly to get pen damage on enemy DDs.  I highly recommend spending time in the training room learning how to do this.  Even 150mm AP can be used against Russian DDs in particular for crazy volleys.  You just need to know where and when to use it.  Without this skill you will struggle to deal with DDs.  Your AP will provide steady damage as you grind the line. 

I play them like any DD other than Khaba.  I look to eliminate the enemy DDs screening their fleet to get to caps and the juicy targets beyond. 

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai

Members
1,504 posts
7,919 battles

Hey

I have heard many pro's and con's about the German T6 with 128 vs 150's but what's really better.  I have 128's but many it seems to take forever to do any real damage (some of that is me no doubt) and I am usually on the losing end.  One problem is I only have a 8pt captain on board (T6 and T7) so no concealment expert.  I also do ok when all I have to do is elimination but struggle to hold cap points, especially trying to knife fight other DD's (I do need to work on slowing down more often).  It also seems to be an issue getting help from teammates in securing and holding a cap point.  I much prefer the hunter/stalker kind of DD play and being a general pain in the behind to the enemy.

Pete

Members
810 posts
7,102 battles

They are much more torp boats than they are gun fighters of any kind. In t6 and 7 you can kind of swing the whole gunboat/torp boat hybrid thing. t8 though you're just too fat to really do the same stuff you could do in t6 and 7. They are great torp boats but it's a chore to land hits in higher tiers when you got hydro,radar, double spotter planes and faster-stealthier DD spotting your peeds way before they get close. It's a good thing your torp reload is so low because you're going to need it. 

If you were ok at IJN boats before you'll probably have an easier time with it. I guess I'm just too much of a brawling gunfighter myself. 

[WMD]
Members
77 posts
4,788 battles

I find my Gearing much more of a Torp boat than my Z-46. The range more than of sets the reload. Maybe I'm just really bad(no maybe about it) but I find the KMS boats harder to play than the high tier USN boats.

[ADR]
Members
809 posts
5,472 battles

I like the German DD's so far, only up to tier 7. How I play them is like a IJN DD's but with decent guns. I try to find places to torp first but unlike the IJN DD's I am not afraid to use the guns when I can smoke up or find a distracted enemy, or I gang up on the enemy with more friendlies. So my best advice is think of them like torp boats with very good self defense guns, that you use offensively when you get good opportunities. Especially when a distracted cruiser or BB's gives you a flat side to use AP on.