Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
why_u_heff_to_be_mad

IFHE build. Anyone going to run it?

14 comments in this topic

Members
1,936 posts

Allo

With IFHE now being -1% for DD caliber  guns (except DE 150mm) - this seems very viable, especially for VMF boats.

What does this look like though? As currently VMF usually takes both CE and AFT at tier 4.

Or is this  wrong? Looking at ship comrade, many seem to eschew CE and instead go multiple  t3 skills.

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

I already run an IFHE build on my Akizuki and Atlanta. This has just made them better so I am happy.

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
465 posts
5,417 battles
11 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

I already run an IFHE build on my Akizuki and Atlanta. This has just made them better so I am happy.

...those are scary lol. Can ALWAYS tell who has IFHE on an Atlanta.

[-K-]
Members
5,040 posts
8,925 battles
15 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

Same here.  Not changing anything with my IFHE builds.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,257 battles
9 minutes ago, HeathenForay said:

...those are scary lol. Can ALWAYS tell who has IFHE on an Atlanta.

I'm one of those players that almost never uses dedicated captains for my premium ships.  That said, there are some premiums that don't synergize well with their navy's ships and may require either a dedicated captain or a less than optimal captain from one of the regular ships.

The Atlanta can be tricky.  It's so soft that it will lose its steering or engines somewhat easier than USN cruisers, though not as easily as DD's.  And so, Last Stand can be a useful skill for the ATL.  Also, AFT is a useful skill on the ATL (buff to AA range and a buff to gun range, though the latter may be of limited use, given the slow, floaty shell arcs), but it's not really a skill that's all that great to use with USN DD's.  If one was going to play their ATL a lot, it might be arguable that the ATL would benefit from having a dedicated captain do deal with its mildly odd mix of capabilities for a USN CL.

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
15 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I'm one of those players that almost never uses dedicated captains for my premium ships.  That said, there are some premiums that don't synergize well with their navy's ships and may require either a dedicated captain or a less than optimal captain from one of the regular ships.

I used to keep dedicated captains for them. I have since stopped doing that on most. Atlanta is one I will use a dedicated captain on due to her specialized armament.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,257 battles
3 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

I used to keep dedicated captains for them. I have since stopped doing that on most. Atlanta is one I will use a dedicated captain on due to her specialized armament.

I don't have a dedicated ATL CO, but perhaps I should.  I currently just stick one of my well skilled DD captains in one, to get Last Stand.  I also have the Marblehead, which I find is generally more of a "normal" USN cruiser and doesn't require such a perfect captain.  Besides, I tend to only use her in coop, so it's not that big a deal.

Members
13 posts
2,821 battles

Hello

I’m gonna talk about the Khaba as she is the only TX VMF DD I have. I tried IFHE on her before this change and I didn't like it.

The fire chance with IFHE, DE and signals was still ok: 8+1+2-3=8%.  The problem is the following. Usually your main targets are BBs and DDs (against which IFHE is useless) and enemy cruisers rarely bother shooting at you. With IFHE you tend to engage cruisers much more (you have to make use of the skill on which you spent 4 point, right?) and they start to notice you and shoot back. As a result, you tend to lose too much HP.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s extremely satisfying to watch some poor New Orleans melt, but I felt like I was losing too much health in engagements with enemy cruisers. And I felt the urge to engage them because I'd invested 4 points in IFHE. So the problem is psychological. If you can be disciplined enough to stay focused on BBs and DDs this skill might be useful

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,257 battles

Yeah, notcreative, the key point is that choosing not to shoot at CA's for the reasons you describe is psychological.  I prefer sticking to shooting BB's, trying to start at least 1 fire.  Heck, if I get 1 fire on them, I'll often switch to another BB, if possible, because BB players tend not to put out 1 fire but will do so for 2.  Plus, since the fire start chance for the Khab isn't that high, it could take a while to get another fire started after they've put out the first one(s).  Perhaps so long that their DC party is off cooldown, or close to it.  I'd rather just get multiple BB's burning, and then switch to AP, if the situation warrants it.  If I notice that there are torps inbound on a BB that I've started 1 fire on, I might try to get a second ASAP in the hope that the BB player will use his DC party before seeing the inbound torps and perhaps a torp hit will start a flood.

Regardless, as decent as Khabs are as fire starters, their actual fire starting chance is still relatively low, and if RNG is against you, you can go a lot long time without starting a fire.

Members
13 posts
2,821 battles

HE pen goes from 21.(6) (so you can pen at most 21mm armor) to 28.1(6) i.e. you can pen at most 27mm of armor using IFHE. That means that you only gain the ability to penetrate cruisers which are mostly covered with 27mm armor. You can't pass the 32mm threshold that would allow you to pen fore and aft end plating on battleships

[CUTER]
Members
670 posts
18,480 battles
On 9/20/2017 at 1:11 PM, CptJackSparrowed said:

There are only two russian boats you pick CE on, the Ognevoi and the Grozovoi.

I think others fall into this category...but I am just a potato in my Kiev...

[5IN]
Members
1,784 posts
8,103 battles
On 9/20/2017 at 4:06 PM, Crucis said:

Regardless, as decent as Khabs are as fire starters, their actual fire starting chance is still relatively low, and if RNG is against you, you can go a lot long time without starting a fire.

Tell me about it.  Some games, it's as if every HE shell landed results in a fire.  Others, it's a struggle to get any fires at all.  Best bet:  say a prayer to RNGesus and hope they are heard :Smile-_tongue:

B

Sign in to follow this