You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
comtedumas

Here is how I would change the game, starting small.

27 comments in this topic

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,194 posts
4,125 battles

It would be a big boost to WGs income, but here is what I would do.  

Put all flags for sale in bundles like Economic or ship mod, whatever.  Then I would make it so you press a button, say “n”, and a window pops up and you can switch flags mid game.  Need secondaries, press n and change to the secondary flag.  Need AAA?  Press in, remove secondaries and put up the AAA flag.  

It would look like this.  Press N.  A windows appears showing all flags, greyed out means you don’t got any of that flag.  Checkmark beside the flags means they are mounted.  Remove a check mark from one you don’t want mounted and put a check mark on one you want mounted.   Press n or ok to leave.  At the end of the game you lose one of all flags who had a check mark at any point during the game.  

And its immersive and historically accurate, which might doom the idea from the start.  

• Cool 2

[T-RIP]
[T-RIP]
Members
1,043 posts
8,052 battles

Yeah, and then next up we ca change ship mid game, you might of seen a Wakatake go into a cloud of smoke, but watch out, might be a Yamato coming out! lol

=)

• Cool 1

[WGA]
Developers, Administrator, Moderator, F&F, Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
1,089 posts
3,721 battles
3 hours ago, comtedumas said:

It would be a big boost to WGs income, but here is what I would do.  

Put all flags for sale in bundles like Economic or ship mod, whatever.  (snip)

This would require a LOT of re-balancing the game to account for mid-battle switching. Also this technically seems to only reward people with the free capital to constantly have switching modifications and signals mid-battle. There is a lot more gravitas placed into preparing for battle and going in with the battle settings you planned for as opposed to just being able to switch at anytime. 

• Cool 2

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,475 posts
6,653 battles
1 minute ago, Pigeon_of_War said:

This would require a LOT of re-balancing the game to account for mid-battle switching. Also this technical seems to only reward people with the free capital to constantly have switching modifications and signals mid battle. There is a lot more gravitas placed into preparing for battle and going in with the battle settings you planned for as opposed to just being able to switch at anytime. 

What's the point of preparing for a random battle with AA flags, when no CV spawns? The preparation for battle argument works best when you know beforehand, what opposition to expect, but how does this account for random MM?

In understand the issue with rebalancing, it would be a headache. But the idea of hoisting a flag appropiate to the context makes perfect sense, is in keeping with the game setting, develops a sense of immersion, and rewards reactive rather than passive gameplay.

[WGA]
Developers, Administrator, Moderator, F&F, Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
1,089 posts
3,721 battles

The point is you DON'T know. That's the excitement of it. Should you stock up on Anti-Air flags for a potential CV battle or go full secondary build for some close engagements? Maybe you only went to built an AA CL or a concealment build BB. Only people with a lot of free capital can make these decisions, not the everyday player. Adding mid-game alterations rewards the former. 

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,194 posts
4,125 battles
1 hour ago, Pigeon_of_War said:

This would require a LOT of re-balancing the game to account for mid-battle switching. Also this technically seems to only reward people with the free capital to constantly have switching modifications and signals mid-battle. There is a lot more gravitas placed into preparing for battle and going in with the battle settings you planned for as opposed to just being able to switch at anytime. 

And yet we still run into people being spec'd for AA and having no carriers in matches over and over again until you change it and then you are eat up with carriers.  Its not switching modifications, just signal flags, just as they can do in real life.  Nelson didn't leave port with "England expects that every man will do his duty" from his yardarm.  This is not about modules, just signal flags, and as I said would boost WGs income intake. 

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,194 posts
4,125 battles

The point is you DON"T know. That's the excitement of it. Should you stock up on Anti-Air flags for a potential CV battle or go full secondary build for some close engagements. Maybe you only went to built an AA CL or a concealment build BB. Only people with a lot of free capital can make these decisions, not the everyday player. Adding mid-game alterations rewards the former. 

Yes, you don't know, but that's why they have a signal LT, to change inappropriate signals during battle.  and I would bet you haven't even tested this to see if it impact balancing or not.  But hey, if WG doesn't want more money in their pocket, that's fine with me. 

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,194 posts
4,125 battles

The point is you DON"T know. That's the excitement of it. Should you stock up on Anti-Air flags for a potential CV battle or go full secondary build for some close engagements. Maybe you only went to built an AA CL or a concealment build BB. Only people with a lot of free capital can make these decisions, not the everyday player. Adding mid-game alterations rewards the former. 

BTW. that's not exciting, its disappointing, especially when it seems that MM deliberately keeps you out of carrier battles if you are AA spec'd. 

[WAG]
Members
372 posts
7,268 battles
37 minutes ago, comtedumas said:

And yet we still run into people being spec'd for AA and having no carriers in matches over and over again until you change it and then you are eat up with carriers.  Its not switching modifications, just signal flags, just as they can do in real life.  Nelson didn't leave port with "England expects that every man will do his duty" from his yardarm.  This is not about modules, just signal flags, and as I said would boost WGs income intake. 

Because in real life putting up a signal flag makes your secondary guns fire further, or your main guns more likely to start fires, or your magazine not get detonated...

• Cool 3

[TBW]
Members
6,319 posts
11,876 battles

The point is you DON"T know. That's the excitement of it. Should you stock up on Anti-Air flags for a potential CV battle

One thing you do know, is that there aren't always CV's in Battles. I can go ten battles without seeing one. For me it's not excitement as much as it is a disappointment because I know already that the team is not set up for AA. The only time I even consider an AA build is when I div up with someone playing a CV and that's not too often. At least you know there will be a CV then though.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,711 posts
9,406 battles

:cap_popcorn:

The idea is there, implementing it, NO.

Flags/singals/camo is set prior to battle start, even though if you have aa singal then in game there is no CV so what? It the excited feeling of UNKNOWN entering the battle. However, not all aa signal are wasted. For example let take aa signal for argument point, you can still provide aa support to allies like shooting down the scout plane, limited their view/detection or provide scouting mechanism for your allies. Check the summary before the battle start and plan your game. Knowing ships advantage (smoke/radar/range/torps if CV there) and 20 sec, BAM enjoyed the game.

NOT ALL THING GO TO PLAN, but that also the excitement about too

PS

STOP changing game to suit your individual 

[CVA16]
Members
2,172 posts
9,620 battles

Buying the economic flags would be OK. Buying the performance flags starts making WOWS more of a pay-to-win game and I hope WG stays away from that. WOT had the gold rounds for pay-to-win and that is one of the reasons I stopped playing that game (wasn't very good either so ...).

It might be nice if you could change your flags while looking at the team screen but not after the battle starts.

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,194 posts
4,125 battles
9 hours ago, DustRhino said:

Because in real life putting up a signal flag makes your secondary guns fire further, or your main guns more likely to start fires, or your magazine not get detonated...

It's as historical as the current game meta.  

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,194 posts
4,125 battles
7 hours ago, ObiwankzKenobi said:

:cap_popcorn:

The idea is there, implementing it, NO.

Flags/singals/camo is set prior to battle start, even though if you have aa singal then in game there is no CV so what? It the excited feeling of UNKNOWN entering the battle. However, not all aa signal are wasted. For example let take aa signal for argument point, you can still provide aa support to allies like shooting down the scout plane, limited their view/detection or provide scouting mechanism for your allies. Check the summary before the battle start and plan your game. Knowing ships advantage (smoke/radar/range/torps if CV there) and 20 sec, BAM enjoyed the game.

NOT ALL THING GO TO PLAN, but that also the excitement about too

PS

STOP changing game to suit your individual 

Yes, they are wasted.  You don't need AA spec flag to shoot down scouts, but If you don't put them on your swarmed by 2 carriers from the other team.  Let's face it, AA gunners don't forget how to shoot down plane when a certain flag isn't up.  It's not a game breaking change.  Are you so afraid of any change to the game you can't support anything?  

• Cool 1

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,711 posts
9,406 battles
24 minutes ago, comtedumas said:

Yes, they are wasted.  You don't need AA spec flag to shoot down scouts, but If you don't put them on your swarmed by 2 carriers from the other team.  Let's face it, AA gunners don't forget how to shoot down plane when a certain flag isn't up.  It's not a game breaking change.  Are you so afraid of any change to the game you can't support anything?  

Pigeon of War had already answer your question. I am just a player who enjoyed the game to the max

WoWS Wiki Editor
7,205 posts
6,433 battles

So that whenever I think that my game is going to end very good I can just immediately equip all the economy flags while saving them in the games where I didn't do well? Yeah... no...

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,150 posts
8,766 battles
23 hours ago, SpudZero said:

Yeah, and then next up we ca change ship mid game, you might of seen a Wakatake go into a cloud of smoke, but watch out, might be a Yamato coming out! lol

=)

I couldn't find a battleship so this will have to do.

[LOU1]
Members
2,857 posts
7,992 battles

In actual combat, even in this day and age of technology,  you still have to make your best guess about equipping yourself.  We never knew the exact capabilities of the opposing force and could never carry enough stuff to handle any contingency.  In this game, we have unlimited ammunition, for example - not so in real life.  In this game you can decide to take additional damage control crew, fire fighting crew or AA gunners/loaders when you ship out - that was the case in real life.  Swapping flags mid battle would make it so that you no longer had to make that decision.

In effect, you would be equipped with ALL flags when you left port.  On fire, swap in the reduced fire time signal.  Oops, fire out and planes inbound, swap in the AA flag.  The DD is getting too close, time for the secondary flag.  Gotta heal, swap that in.  One. Good side effect is that my target might be so preoccupied with signal swapping that they lose track of the battle. Or miss firing a salvo at me.

For many players, I think, deciding on loadout of equipment, consumables, and signals is part of the challenge of WOWS.  I, for one, play WOWS because it is challenging and their are many difficult decisions to make.  I load up Alien Shooter 2 when I want to run around and just worry about shooting stuff up.  It would be nice to have every signal available during battle, but I like the challenge :cap_yes: 

Edited by ExploratorOne
  • Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
2,172 posts
9,620 battles
4 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

In this game, we have unlimited ammunition, for example - not so in real life.

Most ships had more than enough ammo for 20 minutes of combat. Torpedoes were generally single shot weapons as even IJN DDs would have trouble reloading in 2 minutes in heavy combat maneuvers while under fire. The bigger departure from reality is that your ship often remains fully functional, cruising at full speed and maneuverability while citadeled multiple times and flooding  from multiple torp hits. But this is a game...

• Cool 1

[-TAB-]
Members
1,597 posts
5,126 battles
21 hours ago, DustRhino said:

this magical effect ONLY happens when the ENEMY can see your signals. this is why signals, and signalmen have been treasured over the years, and radio was never invented nor utilized.

as an example, during the battle of juttingland, near china, greens couldn't even see their own signals,, much less reds, because of the smoke dropped by the enemy CAs, such as Belfast. and of course islands.

you have to radar to see thru islands in order to see the enemy signals, and therefor activate their magical powers.

I am always happy to help explain mystic and magical effects, in and out of the game. 

join POPCORN. give us all your oil. we won't be sorry. thank you.

• Cool 5

[NGA-S]
[NGA-S]
Beta Testers
1,088 posts
4,142 battles
On 9/20/2017 at 2:33 PM, Pigeon_of_War said:

You're just killing us with logic here. :)  It sounds like a great idea but I can see the drawbacks of it.

[CVA16]
Members
2,172 posts
9,620 battles
On 9/20/2017 at 1:27 PM, DustRhino said:

Because in real life putting up a signal flag makes your secondary guns fire further, or your main guns more likely to start fires, or your magazine not get detonated..

The magazine thing is hard to explain but the secondary gun thing is not. Captain runs up the flag and the crew knows they get extra booze rations if they can hit that ship way out there. The secondary gunners are already drunk so...

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,194 posts
4,125 battles
On 9/21/2017 at 3:56 AM, SireneRacker said:

So that whenever I think that my game is going to end very good I can just immediately equip all the economy flags while saving them in the games where I didn't do well? Yeah... no...

Minor issue, economic flags can be locked down and kept from being changed at match start.  Easy peasy.

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,194 posts
4,125 battles
17 hours ago, ExploratorOne said:

In actual combat, even in this day and age of technology,  you still have to make your best guess about equipping yourself.  We never knew the exact capabilities of the opposing force and could never carry enough stuff to handle any contingency.  In this game, we have unlimited ammunition, for example - not so in real life.  In this game you can decide to take additional damage control crew, fire fighting crew or AA gunners/loaders when you ship out - that was the case in real life.  Swapping flags mid battle would make it so that you no longer had to make that decision.

In effect, you would be equipped with ALL flags when you left port.  On fire, swap in the reduced fire time signal.  Oops, fire out and planes inbound, swap in the AA flag.  The DD is getting too close, time for the secondary flag.  Gotta heal, swap that in.  One. Good side effect is that my target might be so preoccupied with signal swapping that they lose track of the battle. Or miss firing a salvo at me.

For many players, I think, deciding on loadout of equipment, consumables, and signals is part of the challenge of WOWS.  I, for one, play WOWS because it is challenging and their are many difficult decisions to make.  I load up Alien Shooter 2 when I want to run around and just worry about shooting stuff up.  It would be nice to have every signal available during battle, but I like the challenge :cap_yes: 

All crewmen on a ship are crosstrained in several jobs, even if one is their main job.  They know damage control even if their main job ismgunnery.  So I don’t really think your criticism is valid here.  And yes, like any signal officer at your disposal you would have all flags available, but any time you use one you lose one at the end of,the match, so you would have to consider the consequences of doing so.  

[ARGSY]
Members
5,743 posts
3,925 battles

Here's a compromise; see what you think.

Take a selection of flags with you at the start, to cover most if not all eventualities, and be able to change them mid-battle.

There is a time to change flags - say, fifteen seconds - and a cooldown between changes (say, five minutes).

If your ship is destroyed, you lose all the flags you had with you.