Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Sinton

Which Tier 8?

9 comments in this topic

[LOS]
Members
556 posts
7,576 battles

So lets say next Ranked season is tier 8.  I've pushed all my DD lines to T5-6 .  Looking at the Free premium Camo I obtained during the WG 2nd Anniversary bash I'm inclined to look hard at the Soviet and KM line to play a lot and improve my skills ( I am so stuck at T5 IJN and T6 Soviet with short range Torps).  Any experienced DD Captains care to share ideas on strength and weakness of those lines at tier level 8? TIA! 

Members
6,619 posts
25,230 battles

Kiev and Z-23 are very good.

The premium one, Lo Yang (a Benson with sonar) is also good.

Ognevoi is ok, but I do not particularly like it, as it only has two turrets (2x2). It was not great when it was at a lower tier and IMHO it is still not that good.

Akizuki, the other one at T8 is a strange beast, and not for everyone.

Edited by alexf24

[-K-]
Members
5,040 posts
8,925 battles

Depends on your playstyle preference.  Lo Yang, Benson, and Z23 are great for knife fighting and cap contesting.  Z23 especially with the smoke and hydro combination.

Ognevoi was transformed from a gunboat at T6 to a hybrid torpedo boat at T8.  I worked through her at T6, so I can't give any first hand experience at T8.

Kiev is more long-range gun play, if you like that kind of thing.  She isn't great for caps (which is a Ranked staple) due to a lower ROF than the others, but can kill other ships from long range and evade with her high speed.  She's like death by a thousand needles.

[SF-A]
Members
2,843 posts
5,547 battles

Don't bother with DDs if you can. T8 sees Chapayev and New Orleans, and if you're unused to radar, they're brutal. Ranked is not the place to learn that.

Edited by pewpewpew42

[SPTR]
Members
3,457 posts
5,653 battles

I believe that Lo Yang and Benson would be the strongest tier 8 dds in clan competitive environments, where CV's will be focusing a lot more attention toward spotting and engaging destroyers. You will need good aerial concealment and ideally defensive AA to do well in dds.

Z23 would be strong also, because even if you died to that Shokaku cross drop you are almost guaranteed to capture a point or even spot an enemy dd long enough for it to be focused to oblivion...

2 minutes ago, pewpewpew42 said:

Don't bother with DDs if you can. T8 sees Chapayev and New Orleans, and if you're unused to radar, they're brutal.

Honestly I wouldn't expect New Orleans, but yes, Chapayev would be a problem, but because of it's fragility at close range and poor aerial concealment I wouldn't expect it to be too much of a threat if CV is doing proper spotting.

[LOS]
Members
556 posts
7,576 battles

I have radar/ hydro in my Atlanta that I've been working with.  Great combo.

[TBOW]
[TBOW]
Members
1,128 posts
10,000 battles

Benson is a very versatile beast. I do not know what Kidd will bring to the table outside of some very sketchy second hand info, but prob bettter AA, Fletch guns and Benson torps. 

Edited by LancerUlysses

[SPTR]
Members
3,457 posts
5,653 battles
2 minutes ago, Sinton said:

I have radar/ hydro in my Atlanta that I've been working with.  Great combo.

Yup. I loved that dd eradicating combo as well. I thought to myself dd hunting wouldn't be more enjoyable than this.

Spoiler

Before WG released Belfast

n0lOWtL.png&key=0f10b33f710f30a14f708876

[FAE]
Members
2,115 posts
2,498 battles

I have bunch of T8 DDs. The old Lo Yang though, before she got buffed though, was a big player in team games and competitive.  The new buffed Lo yang? I expect it to be top and most useful pick #1. 

Lo Yang - top #1

Akizuki - with IFHE and CE and good practice, this is a nasty boat. 

Benson - probably less used with Lo Yang now. Still good boat. 

Kagero - Lol. Garbage boat. 

Harekaze - Dunno, idon'thave it, but I hear its just meh. 

Ognevoi - I've heard good things about this as a torp boat.  I'd reckon this might be popular

Kiev - Gotta be good in her to do well.  

The German - dunno 

I think its gonna be Loyang, Ognevoi, Benson, and maybe some Akizuki.  

Sign in to follow this