You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
OldFrog75

Graf Spee Sale...

16 comments in this topic

Members
163 posts
411 battles

WG is really pushing the HSF Graf Spee with "Available for You" discounts in my Premium Shop.  I am nowhere near ready to play in Tier VI but is this a ship sale I should take advantage of for the future?

The Wiki reviews aren't that great.  Slow, inaccurate, easily punished and not for beginners.

Edited by OldFrog75

Members
1,056 posts
3,689 battles
4 minutes ago, OldFrog75 said:

WG is really pushing the Graf Spee with "Available for You" discounts in my Premium Shop.  I am nowhere near ready to play in Tier VI but is this a ship sale I should take advantage of for the future?

Hsf im not sure if this is a limited edition cartoon ship best check first on utube.

Members
163 posts
411 battles
Just now, abyssofthetriffid said:

Hsf im not sure if this is a limited edition cartoon ship best check first on utube.

Hsf?

Members
163 posts
411 battles
8 minutes ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

The one for sale is not the graf spee its a limited edition i think.

Thanks....

Edited by OldFrog75

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,725 posts
11,347 battles

The Graf Spee is very capable in the right hands. But probably not for beginners like you mentioned. The HSF variant currently for sale will remain on sale for quite some time and is a anime version (but the anime aspects can be turned off mostly).

[ARMDA]
Members
8,993 posts
3,470 battles

It is still a Graf Spee reskinned, the only thing are her  anime Commanders. Other than that, she can train German Commanders likr any other.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
19 minutes ago, OldFrog75 said:

WG is really pushing the HSF Graf Spee with "Available for You" discounts in my Premium Shop.  I am nowhere near ready to play in Tier VI but is this a ship sale I should take advantage of for the future?

The Wiki reviews aren't that great.  Slow, inaccurate, easily punished and not for beginners.

I own the HSF Graf Spee, she is a good ship it just takes time to get used too. LittleWhiteMouse wrote a review of her, and the Graf is my one of my favorite ships. Even with the "cartoon" commander.

The Graf in the right hands, is a very good cruiser hunter. Think of a ambush predator - use the terrain, hit them with your guns, and fire your torps at them then back into cover. 

Beta Testers
1,287 posts
6,459 battles
28 minutes ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

Keep in mind, the non-historical appearances can be disabled in the port menu.  If you don't want to see it it'll function and look just like a normal Graf Spee.

Members
1,056 posts
3,689 battles
10 minutes ago, Kenjister said:

Keep in mind, the non-historical appearances can be disabled in the port menu.  If you don't want to see it it'll function and look just like a normal Graf Spee.

Thats handy to know so it can also be a normal graf thats cool.

45 minutes ago, OldFrog75 said:

Better buy it then for sure.

[WOLFB]
Members
209 posts
4,682 battles

The Spee is my favorite ship of all time. It plays like a mix of a Cruiser and Battleship.

It does take a while to get used to it but she's so far the most rewarding ship i've played to date.

I have amassed already over 400 games in it and i don't regret getting it all...even though i got it for free.

It's a great credit maker and an excellent captain trainer for german ships.

Don't let the bad reviews sway you, this ship is certainly not for everyone.

Fair seas mates. :Smile_honoring:

I'm powering my modem with a battery...Maria is a [edited]. :Smile-angry:

[PLPTR]
Beta Testers
1,029 posts
5,241 battles

My opinion on the Spee is that if you don't understand why she is a sub optimal ship, then you should not be playing her. That does not mean I think it is a bad ship in the right hands she is devestating....but if you don't understand how having the armor of a cruiser and the guns of a BB is a terrible combination for your average 20% accuracy player that does not understand angling, then you will generally only do well when the stars align for you. 

I would certainly not recommend it as your first premium. Don't get hung up on these people that try to tell you don't get premium ships unless you have "gittin gud" get yourself one of the popular T7-T8 premiums that fit your current play style.

[WOLF2]
Alpha Tester
2,208 posts
7,240 battles

The HsF Graf is better imo than the original we got back in the beginning of the year. It's good for fans and non-fans alike as it comes with 2 camos and can use both HSF captain and regular German captains iirc.

[DRACS]
Members
3,357 posts

Spee is a very good ship. Very durable for a cruiser at her tier, great AP, great torpedoes. Her only real drawback is that she has a very low DPM and specializes in ambushes and surprises where she can utterly wreck broadside cruisers.

Also, played properly, she's surprisingly tanky even against battleships, but you do need to know how to angle properly. The smallest mistake here can get you one shot.

Her low dpm is also problematic against DDs, but she very long range hydro for her tier, as well as a ton of secondaries for a cruiser. I generally have won engagements easily against DDs unless ganged up on.

[MIA-I]
[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,713 posts
4,699 battles
3 hours ago, OldFrog75 said:

You've got time.  since the announcement of the HSF Graf Spee until the sales end is going to be about a year IIRC.  It's a licensing tie in with an anime series.  As far as the ship goes, well personally shes a favorite of mine.  I'm a cruiser main who dabbles with the Battleships so she's right up my alley.  And while she is a bit on the challenging side (Slowest reloading guns of all cruisers except stock Furutaka I think, bad dispersion for the normally accurate cruiser guns, armored but not really against battleships) she is very capable and when played right can be a formidable opponent. 

I'd recommend this review:

When it came out I did a bit of an in depth review on her if that'll help as well

Edited by vonKaiser