Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
VGLance

Average Scoreboard Finish stat would be a nice additional metric

14 comments in this topic

VGLance    1,023

Would be nice if the game provided a new stat:  Average scoreboard finish

Then once that stat is provided, a new hybrid metric combining win rate with average scoreboard finish can be used as a "type" of performance metric.   WG can easily provide this data since populating the scoreboard is simply applying the use of an array, so you know the number of where everyone finished.

Notice I did not say "to replace existing metrics" or that it would act as the "end all be all stat to show skill" or compare one's skill to another or one's prior skill to their current skill, but no doubt, a 60% win rate player with an average scoreboard finish of 3.1 is FAR more skilled than a 45% win rate player with an average scoreboard finish of 8.7

The main benefits to these additional metrics are:

#1.  Personal growth and goal setting since a steady rise in the score can't happen without improving

#2.  People can no longer make the excuse that the reason their win rate is low is because of being unfairly and disproportionately placed on bad teams

The hybrid score formula might be something like:

(1000 + Win Rate * 10,000) - (Avg Place * 300) <--- purely hypothetical formula

This produces rankings roughly from around 0 - 8,000 assuming the statistical improbability of anyone going below 0 which would require around a 30% win rate and around 11th place avg finish, which unless you're griefing, I don't see it happening. Besides, you can just round all negative numbers to 0.  On the high end, you can get close to 10,000 but that would require a near perfect record both in 95+ percent win rate and a 1st place average finish.  Which is also a virtual improbability given thousands of games played.

You can also set a validation requirement such that the score does not become visible until after a certain number of games are played (500 or 1000 for example) as too few of a sample size would make the metric fairly meaningless.

It's late and I'm busy so I haven't put that much thought into creating what is likely a more intuitive hypothetical formula.  You can tweak it to put more weight on scoreboard finish or more weight on win percentage, and you can also make it non-linear like a bell curve or some other curve to widen or tighten the numbers as you get closer to or further away from, say, average.  In other words, you can make it so the score doesn't change much for players close to 50% but the further you move below or above, the score widens to make very poor players and very good players stand out... or create the inverse effect, etc.

Anyway, food for thought.

Crucis    2,655

Personally, I wish that they'd track average BASE XP, since that would probably be the best metric possible.

Crucis    2,655
41 minutes ago, aAkula said:

Suits me, obviously.

You'll have plenty of snowflakes reject the idea of another metric for unicums to criticize them on although.

Wow.  Going straight for the divisive insult from the get go.

Wouldn't this be distorted for people who primarily play CV?

Isn't their XP generally lower than their game performance/impact?

I have been in games with fairly good friendly CV players yet they usually wind up middle of the scoreboard even though I believe they were very instrumental in the win. <- Opinion

The other possibility for distortion is people who are team oriented DD players frequently focused on spotting, smoking allies and interdicting enemy DDs making torp runs, but not direct damage.

Edit: I don't see any harm in this idea, nor am I opposed, just some possible weaknesses.

Edited by Meatshield_No13

gloom13    90
51 minutes ago, aAkula said:

You'll have plenty of snowflakes reject the idea of another metric for unicums to criticize them on although.

This is poison. I realy hope mods showing stats in game do not take off like they did in wot. They turned ingame chat so toxic most people shut it off. 

Also, beeing a good player in a game about ships does not have to lead to becoming a poor human beeing.

• Cool 1

More_Witches    438

I wouldn't object to it completely but there are cases where spot on the scoreboard doesn't necessarily indicate how much a player actually contributed to a win (or loss, for that matter)

AVR_Project    709

Recommendation is a more fair metric to allow self-improvement.

How about we make that metric so only the OP can see it, and not hanging out like a bragging sign for experienced operators or in shame to force new players out in frustration.

The existing 'public' system already stinks, since it forces players into certain ships, certain play styles, and playing certain times of the day/week to stay purple.  There are rewards for playing well, but the score system should not be the reward in itself.

Basically, you are looking for a Golf Handicap.

Edit:

After thinking the numbers through..  It seems a bit better as it compensates good operators for playing on the weekends.

Might also want to add another variable to weigh in tier placement.  So if you are the only tier 5 in a tier 7 battle, half way up is doing good.

Edited by AVR_Project

Pata1985    202

The actual WTR is kinda whacked for me, someone who performs good in a poorly average damage ship like Atlanta (29k avg dmg per game), can stat pad very easily and unless you look into their ships played, anyone can see if he/she is a super unicum. Same thing with many many other ships.

Crucis    2,655
9 hours ago, m373x said:

It will be an inherently inaccurate metric as matches vary from 12v12 to 1v1.

Well, arguably, such a stat shouldn't be collected UNLESS the random battle was a normal 12v12 one.

Sign in to follow this