Battlecruiser_Yavuz

Need Help Identifying Strange Artifact: English-made Staff for Battleship Andrea Doria?

6 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,308 posts
3,883 battles

Hello!  This artifact is apparently a commemorative staff made by Briggs London in the 1920s for the battleship Andrea Doria (she was launched in 1913).  

Can anybody identify this in a more comprehensive manner?  I'm kinda curious whether this actually was used on the actual ship or just a novelty item made by the English.  

Any help can be appreciated since this is an odd artifact.

Thanks!

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,393 posts

You'll likely need to see someone who specializes in naval antiquities for accurate information regarding a random staff/walking stick that may or may not be attached to a specific vessel. 

5,308 posts
3,883 battles
Just now, Macabe said:

You'll likely need to see someone who specializes in naval antiquities for accurate information regarding a random staff/walking stick that may or may not be attached to a specific vessel. 

I guess.  The seller is a person who specializes in antique walking sticks and staves. 

From the seller's words:

Antique cane
Beautifully pigmented wood
Short in length with unusual shape
Hallmarked fitted silver top by Brigg
Dated for London 1920
Engraved "DORIA" in reference to the Italian battleship Andrea Doria launched in 1913.

Brass shaped end with piercing also engraved "DORIA"
Thought to be a tool used aboard the ship to open/close windows and draw curtains although we cannot be certain.
An intriguing research subject for a personal project

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,393 posts
19 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Yavuz said:

I guess.  The seller is a person who specializes in antique walking sticks and staves. 

From the seller's words:

Antique cane
Beautifully pigmented wood
Short in length with unusual shape
Hallmarked fitted silver top by Brigg
Dated for London 1920
Engraved "DORIA" in reference to the Italian battleship Andrea Doria launched in 1913.

Brass shaped end with piercing also engraved "DORIA"
Thought to be a tool used aboard the ship to open/close windows and draw curtains although we cannot be certain.
An intriguing research subject for a personal project

But no documentation of authenticity or something to prove its age? If i had to guess it's just some kind of novelty item.

5,308 posts
3,883 battles
Just now, Macabe said:

But no documentation of authenticity or something to prove its age? If i had to guess it's just some kind of novelty item.

Yeah.  I'm getting the feeling that this is a novelty item too.  It's hard finding Regia Marina stuff relating to a specific ship...

[SYN]
Members
14,379 posts
10,239 battles

likely a flag mast, but unsure of authenticity

similar to this one

v0_master.jpg