You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SteelClaw

Deep water torps for the graf Zep in patch notes for testing.

27 comments in this topic

Members
797 posts

Deep-water Torpedoes

Deep-water torpedoes were added for the Pan-Asian ships and carrier Graf Zeppelin for testing. These torpedoes can travel at greater depths than standard torpedoes, and can pass beneath a ship without hitting her, depending on the draft. 

Torpedoes that will pass beneath a player's ship will be displayed as circle icons for that player. In this case, the sound notification and indicator of approaching torpedoes will not detonate.

Members
9,863 posts
6 minutes ago, SteelClaw said:

Deep-water Torpedoes

Deep-water torpedoes were added for the Pan-Asian ships and carrier Graf Zeppelin for testing. These torpedoes can travel at greater depths than standard torpedoes, and can pass beneath a ship without hitting her, depending on the draft. 

Torpedoes that will pass beneath a player's ship will be displayed as circle icons for that player. In this case, the sound notification and indicator of approaching torpedoes will not detonate.

Still not getting the point of this..other than introducing new silliness. Aren't these deep water torps low detect range? Is seeing circles at the last second really meaningful?

Also, isn't this going to alert the potential target?

Edited by awiggin
  • Cool 1

[_AFW_]
Members
975 posts
7,021 battles
6 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Still not getting the point of this..other than introducing new silliness. Aren't these deep water torps low detect range? Is seeing circles at the last second really meaningful?

Also, isn't this going to alert the potential target?

If i was told right the detect range on deep water torps is much shorter making harder for BB to avoid them. Once players use them enough they will learn what ships they will hit and which ones they won't. The circle will only be seen by the player whose ship it goes under i believe and only once it is under your ship. Bit to late for those they will hit. 

Edited by Shadow_NA

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,711 posts
11,331 battles
28 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Is seeing circles at the last second really meaningful?

I read that part as relating more for allies. 

Members
478 posts
2,009 battles
8 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

I read that part as relating more for allies. 

If they keep to the "it effects some cruisers but not all" design the teething period for these torps is gonna be fun...not.

• Cool 2

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,602 posts
14,017 battles

Deep Water Torps on torpedo bombers is silly.  The point of the torps is stealth, you see the d@mn torpedo bombers coming for you as well as knowing when they drop.

• Cool 3

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

If that means the enemy will be warned that the torps won't hit, that's pretty s***ty. 

No one should be warned. The torps should make them go crazy trying to not get hit. That'll open them up to a friendly broadside shot.

• Cool 1

[-VT-]
Members
329 posts
6,457 battles
22 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Deep Water Torps on torpedo bombers is silly.  The point of the torps is stealth, you see the d@mn torpedo bombers coming for you as well as knowing when they drop.

They are going to use them on the Graf Zep to make sure she can't kill DDs as easily as she was with the normal torpedoes.

[LEGIO]
Members
2,956 posts
5,370 battles
3 minutes ago, DemonGod3 said:

They are going to use them on the Graf Zep to make sure she can't kill DDs as easily as she was with the normal torpedoes.

Why tho?

[-VT-]
Members
329 posts
6,457 battles
18 hours ago, Lampshade_M1A2 said:

Why tho?

They want it to specifically target BBs camping in the back, so using dw torps and ap bombs kinda lends to that idea.

[KMS2]
Members
189 posts
5,028 battles
7 minutes ago, DemonGod3 said:

They want it to specifically target BBs camping in the back, so using dw torps and ap bombs kinda lends to that idea.

The AA power creep definitely isn't helping with camping BBs

• Cool 1

Members
149 posts
4,805 battles

DD  mafia lost it when Graf Zep. Hit one of them with a triple drop. She had to be made to be helpless against them while being OP'd against everything else in the game of rock, paper, untouchable invisible torpedo assassin  That they claim is the foundation of this game.?

Edited by Cirdane

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles
26 minutes ago, Cirdane said:

DD  mafia lost it when Graf Zep. Hit one of them with a triple drop. She had to be made to be helpless against them while being OP'd against everything else in the game of rock, paper, untouchable invisible torpedo assassin  That they claim is the foundation of this game.?

:Smile_facepalm:

[POP]
Members
1,153 posts
14,743 battles

Deep water torpedos on any CV to me seems a waste of time the player has 50 % chance of knowing what is coming because he can see the damn planes, and that's all he needs to know to avoid them like any other torpedo strike.

If a experienced BB or CA player knows how dodge regular strikes he's going to make doubly certain once he sees carrier borne planes coming from a known CV that can be armed with Deep Water torpedos its given. 

ILL bet even lesser player will be even more cautious once they see what CV it is there up against.  

To me this sounds like another hail Mary act by WG to try to find some balance to the ship, by all means give the ship Torpedo Bombers but leave them as regular models.

regards 

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

Well, I won't run these on a DD at least. I could at least let them swim to an enemy to try and scare him and he'll back off buying time for my team.

If he knows they won't hurt him, he's gonna push in without fear.

Edited by Wulfgarn

[GREPT]
[GREPT]
Beta Testers
6,739 posts
7,090 battles
1 hour ago, Wulfgarn said:

Well, I won't run these on a DD at least. I could at least let them swim to an enemy to try and scare him and he'll back off buying time for my team.

If he knows they won't hurt him, he's gonna push in without fear.

To be fair i get the feeling that you won't have a choice with the pan asian torps. 

[SIM]
Members
2,435 posts
4,068 battles

It's unfortunate that WG gave up on the Dive Bombers as quickly as they did. They could have given the GZ a comfortable auto-drop circle and a very precise manual-drop circle, and given her simultaneous AP and HE bomb loadouts. That would have kept the ship competitive, satisfied the Stuka crowd, and saved them from this debacle entirely.

[RAWDY]
Beta Testers
138 posts
6,611 battles
On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 4:08 PM, PolarWolf32 said:

The AA power creep definitely isn't helping with camping BBs

Thank god someone else said it. I love how the general feel of Premium BB's at this point is "don't like planes? buy your way out!" Even the Sharnhorst will nuke over 1/2 the plane attacking it despite it supposedly having mediocre AA.
Seriously pretty much every premium BB T7 and beyond are just a middle finger to carriers. I've seen the Tirpitz with less than 1/2 health after being lit up by 4 other ships nuke squads before they can even launch.

[RAWDY]
Beta Testers
138 posts
6,611 battles

Honestly they need to give up on this bullsh!t of having to decide loadouts before the game begins. It creates too many white/black scenarios where you are in 1 of too positions

Situation A: I have the perfect load out for the other carrier/ ships on the field!
Situation B: I literally have the worst set up possible for the opposing carrier/ ships on the field and there is NOTHING I can do about it.

The entire point of these ships is versatility, so why are we limiting them to pregame decision making? Particularly when its the only ship class that you can literally get in situations where you legit cannot earn points. (looks at attack setup vs. sky cancer setup). I don't understand how wargaming's competitive games figured this out over a decade ago and WG'ing can't figure it out almost 3 years into their game.

[KOZ]
Beta Testers
1,485 posts
1,186 battles

The GZ has a very... interesting...torp drop pattern when manual dropping- it form +s, which make it very hard for DDs and CL/A [which aren't supposed to be taking Torps] to avoid at all*

DWT is being implemented on GZ so it can't use that to kill every DD ever [note: I saw original GZ a few times, the above is complete [edited]] but it retains effectiveness against BB.

DWT are stealthy (.8km detect on average [should be lower, TBQH, try around .3, and then make them defeat some of Hydro's range and NOT air spottable])-- the circles and alternate alert beep are for Teammates [honestly, there shouldn't be a beep or "TORPEDOES SIGHTED!" for anyone if they can't be hit, sure they get lit, but no notification], and if you do detect these torps in a ship that can't be pegged.

It's so when a PA DD is half a click away, and there's a BB in torping range, but you're in your CL, you don't panic when he torps from the second line and give away the fact that there's torps out, they pass harmlessly by you,