You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BossmanSlim

Top 5 list of why WG makes me want to quit

27 comments in this topic

Members
1,351 posts
4,319 battles

Top 5 reasons WG makes me want to quit this game

1. Constant bottom tier games
  2. Detonations
  3. Weekend potato fest
  4. Radar through islands
  5. Constant power creep

/goes off to see what games are coming out the rest of this year and early next year

• Cool 6

[HINON]
Supertester
7,522 posts
7,578 battles

Well 4 of those things they could change/fix. But there is nothing they can do about the potato infestation known as the weekend.

[-V-]
Members
803 posts
3,617 battles
1 minute ago, renegadestatuz said:

Well 4 of those things they could change/fix. But there is nothing they can do about the potato infestation known as the weekend.

Somewhat agree / disagree. They can fix Match Maker.

• Cool 1

[LOU1]
Members
2,902 posts
8,006 battles

Oddly, those things don't really bother me that much, but that's just me.  Plus, there are a part of a game that I am currently committed to master.  I do feel for you because none of these seem to be going away.

1.  Lets me farm more XP per shot.

2.  I am OK at 1% or less and run a det flag if I get paranoid.

3.  Lets me farm more XP and credits (plus, I am a potato).

4.  I keep track of radar ships, I have radar ships, radar only lasts so long and then the ship is vulnerable, its payback if they nail me.

5.  The only way I perceive power creep is if someone points it out on the forums.  Ships are what they are and I play them as they are.

Edited by ExploratorOne
Grammar...
  • Cool 3

[O_O]
Members
4,338 posts
9,316 battles
27 minutes ago, BossmanSlim said:

2. Detonations
  3. Weekend potato fest
  4. Radar through islands
  5. Constant power creep
  1. I am bottom tier more than top tier.  Although that isn't always a bad thing, I can feel your pain.
  2. 1% frequency.  Not an issue.
  3. For every weekend potato losing team, there is a weekend potato winning team.
  4. No argument.  This needs to be fixed.
  5. Power creep is real.  I think back to the days with just IJN and USN tech trees and chuckle at how some of those ships stack up today.

2 1/2 valid complaints out of 5.  Really, that isn't bad around here. :Smile_medal:

Members
2,156 posts
4,848 battles

1) most of the time, it's just your perception. you don't remember the good, only the bad. there have been several times when i thought i was getting only bottom tier, only to go back through my games and find that it's right where it should be at about 1/3.

2) you have 37 detonations in over 4k games. if those 37 are enough to ruin the other 4k, it's not the game that has a problem.

3) the other team gets potatoes too.

4) probably the only thing i can agree with on this list. but it's an arcade game. don't expect realism.

5) they've done a pretty decent job of buffing ships that get power creeped, and nerfing ships that come out too strong. it might take them a while, but they do try to keep things even.

from what i can see, the main thing that makes you want to quit this game is your own attitude.

• Cool 3

Alpha Tester
4,774 posts
2,413 battles

1: If you're bottom tier, play a more careful style. Still take opportunities when you see them, but don't play like you can 1v1 anything you see.

2: Juliet Charlie if you're worried about it.

3: Know when to throw in the towel. Don't let it frustrate you.

4: When I'm in a DD, I always watch where the Radar cruisers and Missouris are and if I see them, I call them out for my team and I make sure they're occupied before I attack.

5: Doesn't mean you can't still do well. In fact, it should be more rewarding getting good results in a ship that people say has been power-creeped.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,175 battles
40 minutes ago, BossmanSlim said:

2. Detonations
  3. Weekend potato fest
  4. Radar through islands
  5. Constant power creep

/goes off to see what games are coming out the rest of this year and early next year

wwhIoDu.gif.002e0e8d58fec8a21435bbb0b820

• Cool 1

Members
400 posts
6,311 battles

MM my only concern. Do not play my Bismark anymore because of it. Played about 10 tier 10 games. Strange, my German T10 gets matched with 9-10 DD total in match. My T10 USN 4-6 total. One match had a CV and 5 DDs on each side. Whole game dodging torps. I know I have Hydro but too much. Still slug it out. Hopefully it will be fixed. 

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles
46 minutes ago, BossmanSlim said:

2. Detonations
  3. Weekend potato fest
  4. Radar through islands
  5. Constant power creep

1. Yes, more often than not.

2. I don't want to win that way, but it doesn't really bother me. Around 100xs in all my battles

3. I don't play on weekends because of it, but I'll go along in the spirit of bad teams, no skill based mode.

4. Yeah. The majority of posters from all mains tend to agree.

5. I agree. I even told them that in the recent survey.

I could add to it, but I won't. I'm already playing less than I ever have. The only times I really play are special events. Some here and there when I feel frisky.

• Cool 2

[RKN]
Members
1,424 posts
11,865 battles

I share your frustrations, comrade. My number one tilter is CVs and bad CV players specifically. 

Fixing radar through land would solve SO many of the games problems. Passive high tier DDs? They would contest caps if they could spot what was radaring them. 

Edited by SalvoSanta

Members
1,351 posts
4,319 battles
40 minutes ago, MidnightShamalan said:

1) most of the time, it's just your perception. you don't remember the good, only the bad. there have been several times when i thought i was getting only bottom tier, only to go back through my games and find that it's right where it should be at about 1/3.

I have tracked multiple data points across multiple days, as have others on this forum, and certain tiers are more likely to be bottom tier based on those data sets. T5 and T8 get bottom tier 50% of the time, mid tier about 30% and 20% top tier.  T7 gets top tier quite a lot due to being unable to be pushed into T10 games, which sucks up T9 ships.  T4 and under a protected, which contributes to the T5 problem because T5 can only be bottom or top tier, never mid tier.  Before the MM change, moving the protected tier line from T2 to T4, tier 5,6 and 8 were fairly fun to play because they would get a good distribution of tiers.  Now, T5 and T8 get screwed a fair amount.

45 page thread on the issue

Edited by BossmanSlim
  • Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,356 posts
11,507 battles

Just finished a match, tears of desert epicenter. Tier 9 ivy match.

I was in tier 7 British cl, premium Belfast.

Finished top of losing team over 95k dam.

Members
3,417 posts
6,084 battles
1 hour ago, LoneStormchaser said:

Somewhat agree / disagree. They can fix Match Maker.

No they can't....  MM can't know how anyone much less 2 full teams of people will play any given future minute much less 20 minute game.  Just as many potatoes on the weekday as on the weekend on my experience.

Members
2,092 posts
8,103 battles
53 minutes ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

wwhIoDu.gif.002e0e8d58fec8a21435bbb0b820

zoidberg-you-should-feel-bad.jpg&key=49cSeriously at least find something original. That gif got old about 50-60 threads ago.......

Edited by FireAndHEspam
  • Cool 2

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,721 posts
9,508 battles

:cap_popcorn:

The OP haven't dig deep into the game enough to really enjoyed or best, like he said, go look for another game.

What worse is, for trolling purpose, he will play WoWs again, and any free time he have into the future. Sight :fish_sleep:

[SALVO]
Members
16,745 posts
17,328 battles
59 minutes ago, MidnightShamalan said:

2) you have 37 detonations in over 4k games. if those 37 are enough to ruin the other 4k, it's not the game that has a problem.

3) the other team gets potatoes too.

4) probably the only thing i can agree with on this list. but it's an arcade game. don't expect realism.

5) they've done a pretty decent job of buffing ships that get power creeped, and nerfing ships that come out too strong. it might take them a while, but they do try to keep things even.

from what i can see, the main thing that makes you want to quit this game is your own attitude.

I disagree with the point on realism.  I think that there are many, many places in this game where realism could be implemented along very simple lines that would still retain the "arcade" feel.  Hell, I particularly hate calling this an arcade game.  Arcade games are Mario Brothers or PacMan or some other ultra simplistic kind of game.  To me, this is a simulation game.  A fairly simple simulation, rather than a hardcore sim.  But some people have his false perception that all simulations must be by default hardcore simulations, and are unable to see that it's entirely possible to implement realistic concepts in simple ways without requiring a hardcore simulation.  So much so that some people will lie straight to your face, claiming that you want a hardcore sim when you dare mention realism, when you've said nothing of the sort.

Regardless.....

I don't think that the radar thru islands issue has anything to do with realism vs arcade.  It's about how radar was implemented in the code, and how they don't seem willing to put the time and effort into fixing it.

Members
2,092 posts
8,103 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

I disagree with the point on realism.  I think that there are many, many places in this game where realism could be implemented along very simple lines that would still retain the "arcade" feel.  Hell, I particularly hate calling this an arcade game.  Arcade games are Mario Brothers or PacMan or some other ultra simplistic kind of game.  To me, this is a simulation game.  A fairly simple simulation, rather than a hardcore sim.  But some people have his false perception that all simulations must be by default hardcore simulations, and are unable to see that it's entirely possible to implement realistic concepts in simple ways without requiring a hardcore simulation.  So much so that some people will lie straight to your face, claiming that you want a hardcore sim when you dare mention realism, when you've said nothing of the sort.

Regardless.....

I don't think that the radar thru islands issue has anything to do with realism vs arcade.  It's about how radar was implemented in the code, and how they don't seem willing to put the time and effort into fixing it.

Sometimes you have to sacrifice realism for something else called BALANCE. Although I do agree that Radar seeing thru islands is stupid

[SALVO]
Members
16,745 posts
17,328 battles
28 minutes ago, BossmanSlim said:

I have tracked multiple data points across multiple days, as have others on this forum, and certain tiers are more likely to be bottom tier based on those data sets. T5 and T8 get bottom tier 50% of the time, mid tier about 30% and 20% top tier.  T7 gets top tier quite a lot due to being unable to be pushed into T10 games, which sucks up T9 ships.  T4 and under a protected, which contributes to the T5 problem because T5 can only be bottom or top tier, never mid tier.  Before the MM change, moving the protected tier line from T2 to T4, tier 5,6 and 8 were fairly fun to play because they would get a good distribution of tiers.  Now, T5 and T8 get screwed a fair amount.

I can see how tier 5's get it rough, not having the chance to be mid tier on occasion.  But that's sort of unavoidable if MM is going to have a group of tiers where there's a +/-1 tier spread and others with a +/-2 tier spread.  Whichever tier is the lower tier in the +/-2 tier group is going to get it rough.  If tier 4 happened to be the lowest +/-2 tier, people would complain about that instead.

I don't particularly see how tier 8's get screwed.  They can be top, middle, or bottom tier.  Furthermore, they don't face the problems that I see tier 6's having against tier 8's, particularly the tier 6 BB's which for the most part face a severe mobility difference.  Tier 8 ships are by and large pretty much just as mobile as tier 10's.  But it bites to be in a slow tier 6 BB facing tier 8 BBs which are all quite mobile.  I don't mind the having somewhat less firepower or armor.  I can deal with that, and have had my fair share of success in 6's against 8's.  But when you can only do around 21 kts against tier 8 BB's that are doing around 28-30 or so kts, there's pretty much nothing you can do to make up for that lack of speed.   Now mind you, often it's not even about the raw speed itself.  It's about ending up on larger tier 8 maps in ships that just don't have the speed for them.  Oh well.

[SALVO]
Members
16,745 posts
17,328 battles
10 minutes ago, FireAndHEspam said:

Sometimes you have to sacrifice realism for something else called BALANCE. Although I do agree that Radar seeing thru islands is stupid

Sometimes, perhaps.  But sometimes (more often than not, IMO), I think that it's just an excuse.

There are a number of technically unrealistic things in this game that don't bother me because I look at it through the perspective of time compression, which is necessary to make battles playable in the short 20 minute window.  Things like repairs.  Or even gun accuracy.  What's gun accuracy got to do with time compression?  If they were truly historically accurate, battles would probably have to last a LOT longer to get enough hits and cause enough damage for the battle to reach a point of decision.  So, in effect, increasing accuracy is a time compression related thing in its own way.

The unrealistic things that particularly bother me are things that just cannot be justified away in terms of "time compression" (for the sake of getting everything done in 20 minutes or less).  Things that are just plain grossly wrong, like the Expert Loader skill.  That skill is utter nonsense.  A proper "expert loader" skill should simply decrease gun reload times across the board, pretty much as is seen in BFT.  (And BFT and AFT should really be more about gun accuracy, whether represented as getting more hits vs ships, or increased DPS for AA guns.)

Anyways, I'll leave it at that.

[-V-]
Members
803 posts
3,617 battles
21 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

No they can't....  MM can't know how anyone much less 2 full teams of people will play any given future minute much less 20 minute game.  Just as many potatoes on the weekday as on the weekend on my experience.

Has nothing to do with Potatoes or Unicums. We will forever be present. Match maker could though, go to a skill based system. Too many times one team has an advantage even before the bell rings. Completely unbalanced. One team will have an ave exp of 1,100, the other team will have 700. I don't blame players sometimes, though I don't do it, of just quitting the match and go playing a different ship.

I have read many posts from some of the top players in the game who would like a more balanced battle. If you honestly think about it, it would make the game more interesting.

Seeing who is the best, or who are the potatoes has nothing to do with the enjoyment of the game. Balance. So what if we have to spend a few seconds more to have fun.

Members
3,417 posts
6,084 battles

We will forever be present. Match maker could though, go to a skill based system

Please tell me what 'skill' will be used because it frankly does NOT exist in this game.  Any player can play way above their average or way below at any given game.  There just is no magical way to define 'skill' and base MM on it.  Again - MM can't know how any one person will play much less 2 teams in any given game.  For every lopsided games there are plenty of non lopsided games.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
3 minutes ago, LoneStormchaser said:

I was going to add one more thing. Moderators who are more understanding and not so quick to delete threads.

This game is very lenient compared to the *other* Russian game company's forum mods...