You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SkaerKrow

Why is the Kaga considered to be so good?

75 comments in this topic

[SIM]
Members
2,447 posts
4,080 battles

Topic. Is it only because it has six planes in its torpedo bomber squadrons? The ship seems (and before you crap your pants, I assert this as opinion, not fact) utterly hapless most of the time. Its squadrons die in a light breeze, and while the damage potential of those big torpedo bomber groups is undeniable, they seem to be more trouble to use than they're worth. I'm trying to figure out if the ship has some wrinkle, some hidden technique to it or strength that I'm overlooking. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,313 posts
9,410 battles

Not much hidden about the Kaga, she's as subtle as a brick to the face. She's shaped kinda like one too.

The number of torpedo planes per flight, the drop pattern, and the torpedo speed all make for a very difficult to dodge drop.  Anything that eats 10 torps in the side is probably not in any position to feel it after it happens.

Everything else is pretty standard for a IJN CV's.

• Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
2,447 posts
4,080 battles

Is the trick maybe to Carrier Snipe in order to secure air superiority? Because I blew a Ranger out of the water (left him at about 300 HP, which a Mogami cleaned up for me) a few minutes into this battle and finally had a decent game. 

shot-17.09.19_19.11.12-0518.jpg

[RKLES]
Members
7,112 posts
8,760 battles

Think the torpedo pattern Kaga uses plus the fact that it is one of the CVs that pretty much never runs out of planes in s battke thanks to how many it carries from what I have heard.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
8,854 posts

Because as long as you are choosy about targets and nuke the ships that matter, you can carry many games with it. The sheer strike power that kaga has is crazy at T7. Those torp drops are nasty.

Members
147 posts
11,659 battles
18 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Because as long as you are choosy about targets and nuke the ships that matter, you can carry many games with it. The sheer strike power that kaga has is crazy at T7. Those torp drops are nasty.

If I pick your targets and have the right approach with the TB u can basically delete ships and not run out of planes.  And the DB is pretty accurate as well.  

[ASHIP]
Members
586 posts
5,222 battles

I have wet dreams about trying out the kaga. Wet with the blood of my enemies. :cap_haloween:

That said, every review I have seen made a point about how one needs a lot of experience to do well in the kaga. A few hundred battles in the IJN line at least. My own experience playing  with lower tier aircraft tells me that one needs to play a lot smarter, both in the strafing micro and in the macro strategy, in order to get out ahead with them. One can't just sit back and auto-lock the fighters; one needs to actively beat the enemy. And that just requires experience with CV mechanics.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,323 posts
14,700 battles
1 hour ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Not much hidden about the Kaga, she's as subtle as a brick to the face. She's shaped kinda like one too.

The number of torpedo planes per flight, the drop pattern, and the torpedo speed all make for a very difficult to dodge drop.  Anything that eats 10 torps in the side is probably not in any position to feel it after it happens.

Everything else is pretty standard for a IJN CV's.

Pretty much this.  When in works you can knock out any ship T9 BBs on down and people remember that.  They don't remember the matches it donates planes to the red AA score.

[ARMDA]
Members
8,993 posts
3,477 battles
2 hours ago, SkaerKrow said:

Is the trick maybe to Carrier Snipe in order to secure air superiority? Because I blew a Ranger out of the water (left him at about 300 HP, which a Mogami cleaned up for me) a few minutes into this battle and finally had a decent game. 

shot-17.09.19_19.11.12-0518.jpg

What a friend does, and it actually works,  but it's kinda like a high risk high reward type of thing.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,661 posts
14,042 battles

Kaga is all about Attack Power.  Nothing more than Attack Power and she is very good at it.  The key is her massive torpedo bomber loadout.  Not only does she drop lots of them, but the drop pattern is outstanding, even DDs have a terrible time with them.  This is in sharp contrast to Enterprise's torp drop pattern that is so wide where you can sail Battleships in between the torps.

The times where she struggles? Savvy Hiryu players.  Saipan technically should easily embarrass Kaga, though I have been seeing a nonstop flood of incompetent scrubs using Saipan lately, to the point Kaga is wrecking their Tier IX planes with sh*t Tier VI planes.  AS Ranger should do well against her also.

In the face of such threats, Kaga users have to be savvy about making the most of their bombers and reserves.  It's expected you will lose planes but that's what the massive reserves are for.  The savvy Kaga players I see somehow snake their bombers in for max effect without getting intercepted by fighters.  They lose planes from AA but the tradeoff is landing World Ending Levels of Torpedo Damage.

Forgot to add:  Kaga like other CVs struggles when bottom tier.  If she is facing a lot of Tier IX AA, she's got major problems.

In the CV vs CV fight, I have seen Kagas outright embarrass some others out there.  The CV Nuke / Snipe is a very real threat.  Kaga is 100% capable of sinking Ranger in ONE attack run.  I've seen this happen too many times.  AS Ranger can defend herself.  Strike Ranger is 100% at the mercy of Kaga.  Stock Ranger doesn't have enough fighter presence to stop all those bombers.

Hiryu will give Kaga a good run for its money with her superior fighters regardless of spec.

Saipan in any spec should stomp her but as I said before, lots of potatoes have gotten their hands on Saipan.

Last I checked a few weeks ago, Kaga was doing amazingly well across NA, EU, and Asia servers.  The damage she puts out on average is phenomenal.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
656 posts
6,067 battles
On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:40 AM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Kaga is all about Attack Power.  Nothing more than Attack Power and she is very good at it.  The key is her massive torpedo bomber loadout.  Not only does she drop lots of them, but the drop pattern is outstanding, even DDs have a terrible time with them.  This is in sharp contrast to Enterprise's torp drop pattern that is so wide where you can sail Battleships in between the torps.

The times where she struggles? Savvy Hiryu players.  Saipan technically should easily embarrass Kaga, though I have been seeing a nonstop flood of incompetent scrubs using Saipan lately, to the point Kaga is wrecking their Tier IX planes with sh*t Tier VI planes.  AS Ranger should do well against her also.

In the face of such threats, Kaga users have to be savvy about making the most of their bombers and reserves.  It's expected you will lose planes but that's what the massive reserves are for.  The savvy Kaga players I see somehow snake their bombers in for max effect without getting intercepted by fighters.  They lose planes from AA but the tradeoff is landing World Ending Levels of Torpedo Damage.

Forgot to add:  Kaga like other CVs struggles when bottom tier.  If she is facing a lot of Tier IX AA, she's got major problems.

In the CV vs CV fight, I have seen Kagas outright embarrass some others out there.  The CV Nuke / Snipe is a very real threat.  Kaga is 100% capable of sinking Ranger in ONE attack run.  I've seen this happen too many times.  AS Ranger can defend herself.  Strike Ranger is 100% at the mercy of Kaga.  Stock Ranger doesn't have enough fighter presence to stop all those bombers.

Hiryu will give Kaga a good run for its money with her superior fighters regardless of spec.

Saipan in any spec should stomp her but as I said before, lots of potatoes have gotten their hands on Saipan.

Last I checked a few weeks ago, Kaga was doing amazingly well across NA, EU, and Asia servers.  The damage she puts out on average is phenomenal.

I can agree with HazeGrayUderway.  But in my option: saipan needs to be nerf or move to a higher tier or fix Kaga planes to match in the same tier. So Kaga can have a chance in it's tier. 

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
Just now, TheHunter2_EAD said:

I can agree with HazeGrayUderway.  But in my option: saipan needs to be nerf or move to a higher tier or fix Kaga planes to match in the same tier. So Kaga can have a chance in it's tier. 

How about forcing it to use the 1-1-1 configuration too? But I suppose that's too great a Nerf considering it's squadron structure...

• Cool 1

Members
640 posts
18,452 battles
On 19/11/2017 at 10:23 AM, TheHunter2_EAD said:

the saipajn dont need nerf/ kaga need up +5 fighters to hanga to 90 historical, now its on 85.

the 5 remaining fighters that do not appear because the hangar is reduced to 85, those 5 can form a third squadron

with new configuration : 3x5 fighters (kaga) of T6 vs 3x4 (saipan) T9

and keep configuation torps and bomber.

remember kaga is a heavy cv with hull Battleship , saipan is Ligth CV with hull Cruiser Light.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_aircraft_carrier_Kaga wiki say thak kaga had 90 warpalnes in your his hangar!

WG said the same 

4m0Cfrm.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Saipan_(CVL-48) 48 to 50 warplanes hangar capacity 

wows actuallity saipan has configuration 3x4 fighters of T9 12 totals + squadrons of Bombers

PS: ranger can easy kaga with configuration 7x2 T7 fighters 14 totals/

and is true kaga has lots Vs T9 missouri/iowa/cleveland/ neptune/ibuki/hipper/roon/new orleans/ all cuiser T9  make my warplanes in garbage . NOW DD US with defense AA erase my hope with kaga :(

Edited by rafael_azuaje

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,661 posts
14,042 battles

Here is a sample of the attack power Kaga has for Tier VII CVs.  I nuked this near full HP Hiryu in ONE attack run.  For reference, Hiryu's max HP is 45.6k.

qMyaBcW.jpg

That is World Ending Damage.  Doesn't matter if you are a BB or Cruiser, if Kaga does her attack right, very good chance you're dead.  Or if you're a BB, close to being dead due to your high TDS.  A Cruiser, CV, DD can realistically get killed in one attack if the run was executed right.  Hiryu, Ranger, Saipan do not have this level of alpha striking power.

[PS1HQ]
Members
71 posts
5,921 battles

one thing I've learned with my kaga is to take torpedo acceleration and dogfighting expert, Torpedo acceleration is basically just being evil, and almost guarantees a hit even with a terrible set up, a good setup will easily bring in 3 or 4 hits, if not more depending on the target size. It also makes smacking DDs with the kaga like playing whack-a-mole, Dogfighting expert doesn't really do much, but on the kaga it mostly helps with the saipan as the teir difference it gives a 30% dmg increase and pretty much makes it so that you get an additional 10% against the ranger and hiryu. 

[SYN]
Members
14,379 posts
10,248 battles

If your ship has poor AA, then RIP. There is nothing you can do to save yourself.

Members
640 posts
18,452 battles
On 20/9/2017 at 8:10 AM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

the saipan can lose vs kaga, if the saipan does not focus on defeating the kaga, it is the only way the saipan is almost god when it has aerial supremacy.

the ranger is one of the best since it has the configuration of carrying 2 squadrons of fighters with aerial supremacy would be a total of 14 fighters should clean the sky with that.

the kaga is crushed when it enters T9 ships like the missouri, alabana, NC, neptune, endiburg, ibuki, and now the american DD with defensive AA fire will make its planes more floating cans than they are now.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,661 posts
14,042 battles
11 hours ago, rafael_azuaje said:

the saipan can lose vs kaga, if the saipan does not focus on defeating the kaga, it is the only way the saipan is almost god when it has aerial supremacy.

the ranger is one of the best since it has the configuration of carrying 2 squadrons of fighters with aerial supremacy would be a total of 14 fighters should clean the sky with that.

the kaga is crushed when it enters T9 ships like the missouri, alabana, NC, neptune, endiburg, ibuki, and now the american DD with defensive AA fire will make its planes more floating cans than they are now.

Any properly played AS CV is Kaga's achilles' heel.  Whether it is a 2-3 fighter Saipan, 3 fighter Hiryu, 2 fighter Ranger, they all can give Kaga huge problems.  A well played Kaga however will still get good attacks in, no matter what.

Will it suffer much higher losses in the face of AS CVs?

Yes.

But Kaga has large bomber reserves to take losses and get some good damage in.

Kaga's weakness to AS CVs is the price she has to pay for for having World Ending Damage Capability.

What?  Did you think she should be sporting A7M Reppu also on top of her massive attack capability?

Also, every Tier VII CV gets shredded when dealing with Tier IX AA.  Ranger, Hiryu, even Saipan will pay the price when dealing with the likes of Tier IX AA.  Nothing is new.  Kaga's problems against Tier IX AA is shared by the other VII CVs.

All CVs struggle a lot when they encounter any higher tier AA.

Even Tier VIII CVs face the exact same problem when they meet Tier X AA.

Even Tier VI CVs face the exact same problem when they meet Tier VIII AA.

Your perceived problems with Kaga are nothing new and are shared by other CVs.

• Cool 1

Members
640 posts
18,452 battles

Remember the kaga has T6 planes, its torpedo planes and bombers are deleted from the 6K with the AA of any ship of T9.
Some time ago I requested to add the kaga SLOT N ° 3 to help the squadrons with higher levels (the BIG E is T8 with T7 planes and has it) Air Groups Modification 3

3000000Air Groups Modification 3 HP:
+ 15% to attack aircraft survivability.
Applicable to Torpedo Bomber and Dive Bomber aircraft; useful for aircraft carriers only. (it can help kaga on T9)

the kaga can maintain its T6 airplanes because historically when it was sunk in 1942 it took those airplanes, but without adding the last 5 airplanes that are missing in the hangar and forming a last squad of fighters would be: 3/2/1.

kaga would have 15 T6 aircraft VS 12 fighters of SAIPAN of T9 or vs 14 figthers of RANGER of T7, there if there is more balance.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Upgrades#Auxiliary_Armaments_Modification.C2.A01

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,661 posts
14,042 battles
4 hours ago, rafael_azuaje said:

Remember the kaga has T6 planes, its torpedo planes and bombers are deleted from the 6K with the AA of any ship of T9.
Some time ago I requested to add the kaga SLOT N ° 3 to help the squadrons with higher levels (the BIG E is T8 with T7 planes and has it) Air Groups Modification 3

3000000Air Groups Modification 3 HP:
+ 15% to attack aircraft survivability.
Applicable to Torpedo Bomber and Dive Bomber aircraft; useful for aircraft carriers only. (it can help kaga on T9)

the kaga can maintain its T6 airplanes because historically when it was sunk in 1942 it took those airplanes, but without adding the last 5 airplanes that are missing in the hangar and forming a last squad of fighters would be: 3/2/1.

kaga would have 15 T6 aircraft VS 12 fighters of SAIPAN of T9 or vs 14 figthers of RANGER of T7, there if there is more balance.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Upgrades#Auxiliary_Armaments_Modification.C2.A01

You don't seem to get this through your head.  Tier VII CVs lose planes left and right against higher tier AA.  The same happens with CVs of other tiers like Tier VI, VIII when they meet AA higher tier than their ships.  Kaga's problems are not unique.

You're also wanting to put an upgrade for a Tier IX ship into a Tier VII ship.  The Tier VII ship in question has massive bomber reserves and massive attack capability.  You have absolutely no sense in balance.

Can anyone look at this...

74DFxbT.jpg

And tell me with a straight face that Kaga needs buffing???

• Cool 1

Members
819 posts
3,823 battles
18 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Any properly played AS CV is Kaga's achilles' heel.  Whether it is a 2-3 fighter Saipan, 3 fighter Hiryu, 2 fighter Ranger, they all can give Kaga huge problems.  A well played Kaga however will still get good attacks in, no matter what.

Will it suffer much higher losses in the face of AS CVs?

Yes.

But Kaga has large bomber reserves to take losses and get some good damage in.

Kaga's weakness to AS CVs is the price she has to pay for for having World Ending Damage Capability.

What?  Did you think she should be sporting A7M Reppu also on top of her massive attack capability?

Also, every Tier VII CV gets shredded when dealing with Tier IX AA.  Ranger, Hiryu, even Saipan will pay the price when dealing with the likes of Tier IX AA.  Nothing is new.  Kaga's problems against Tier IX AA is shared by the other VII CVs.

All CVs struggle a lot when they encounter any higher tier AA.

Even Tier VIII CVs face the exact same problem when they meet Tier X AA.

Even Tier VI CVs face the exact same problem when they meet Tier VIII AA.

Your perceived problems with Kaga are nothing new and are shared by other CVs.

Does this mean I'm entitled to a buff because the second load out does not have world ending damage capability?

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,661 posts
14,042 battles
9 hours ago, Magic_Fighting_Tuna said:

Does this mean I'm entitled to a buff because the second load out does not have world ending damage capability?

Trick question, there's only one useful spec on Kaga :Smile_glasses:

Members
819 posts
3,823 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Trick question, there's only one useful spec on Kaga :Smile_glasses:

Which is lame, as this is not a US spec so it shouldn't suck :cap_haloween:

Edited by Magic_Fighting_Tuna