Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Xiiv

I cannot aim my Bismarck. Really struggling to do well this ship.

10 comments in this topic

[SG]
Members
6 posts
2,558 battles

A little info:

I'm not a great player.  still not to 1k battles yet.

I have read several Bismarck guides and have tried to work on this myself but:

I loved tier 4-6 of german line.  Gneiss was fun due to speed.  But this bismarck was what i wanted from the started.  And I cannot hit ships.  I'm not trying to snipe.  I am try to work 8-15k range.

I don't have the aiming systems mod anymore, due to using the secondary build.  It seems the shell land just short of the ship, and do nothing.  most land like 5 feet short.  I've tried raising to my aim to upper belt.   It had helped some, but i still feel like i'm missing something, or maybe I need to adjust for this ship only.  I play well in other BBs, so I dont see why the aim here would be different.  This is more prevalent of course int he Tier X battles due to longer ranges and the stale mate type game play in high tiers, but still happens in Tier 8 games.

Any advice?  Git Gud?  Thanks

[SWOB]
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,143 posts
6,479 battles

At 8km you shouldn't miss too much, but at 15km you're about as accurate as a Windex bottle set to spray.

The biggest weakness, in fact perhaps the only real weakness the Bismarck has is that its salvo dispersion is, shall we say, less accurate than William Tell.

But the good news is that to be really successful in the Bismarck you're going to want to be doing most of your fighting at fairly close range.  My general goal is to fight enemy battleships and cruisers at around 10km in most cases.  It limits the impact of the mediocre accuracy of your guns and maximizes the strength of your armour design.  Not to mention you're wasting your hydroacoustic search if all you can ever use it for is to spot torps on the open ocean.

My primary advice is to equip the accuracy mod and then practice the ship a lot, you can land shots all the way out to max range but you'll need to have excellent skill at predicting enemy courses and very precise aim.  But you're missing out on a lot of the capability of the ship if you don't get in closer with your armor where it is nearly impossible to citadel you in many battleships you'll face and is still pretty difficult except with a tier X ship.  If you're a new player, look at training up a captain for a secondary build as well.  With all of the right mods and skills you can be hitting an enemy with your secondaries well past 10km and at that range you can do a substantial amount of damage without ever even firing your main battery, especially with Manual Firing Control.

Members
448 posts
7,474 battles

I'd use the aiming systems mod, because even in German ships with excellent secondaries a vast majority of your damage is still going to come from the main batteries. This goes for FDG/GK as well, in higher tier matches even if you would want to brawl you will likely have fewer opportunites to get into secondary range in the first place.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

[RKLES]
Members
7,112 posts
8,760 battles
3 minutes ago, Dr_Powderfinger said:

I'd use the aiming systems mod, because even in German ships with excellent secondaries a majority of your damage is going to come from the main batteries. This goes for FDG/GK as well, in higher tier matches you will tend to have even fewer opprtunites to get into secondary range in the first place.

Depends on the map, but if you have Concealment Mod 1, the secondary range increase equipment, plus BFT, AFT Captain skills, the secondary Signal flag, and camo paint on. Your detection range will drop down close to 14 km so just hold fire until then and then let loose with your main guns and Secondaries. Manual Secondaries are awesome on Bismarck when you get that Captain skill. Between being secondary spec and using my main guns I have even out brawled the Yamato sometimes. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,727 posts
11,353 battles

15k would be considered sniping with the Bismark. The guns really only start becoming reliable at around 12k.  

Members
2,230 posts
6,194 battles

10-11km is optimal range, close enough for secondaries to open up yet far enough that it isn't a full on Brawl. trying to fire from 15km rarely works unless RNGesus favors you.

Members
448 posts
7,474 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Depends on the map, but if you have Concealment Mod 1, the secondary range increase equipment, plus BFT, AFT Captain skills, the secondary Signal flag, and camo paint on. Your detection range will drop down close to 14 km so just hold fire until then and then let loose with your main guns and Secondaries. Manual Secondaries are awesome on Bismarck when you get that Captain skill. Between being secondary spec and using my main guns I have even out brawled the Yamato sometimes. 

You can keep all those other skills and equipment and maintain most of the benefits and that secondary spec brawling playstyle if you want, but the fact remains that even on secondary spec ships, most of your damage is still coming from the main batteries. Might as well show the big guns some love as well with the aiming mod(especially with the OPs struggles) if they are responsible for most of your damage output...regardless of spec.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

Members
1,513 posts
7,978 battles
15 hours ago, Xiiv said:

A little info:

I'm not a great player.  still not to 1k battles yet.

I have read several Bismarck guides and have tried to work on this myself but:

I loved tier 4-6 of german line.  Gneiss was fun due to speed.  But this bismarck was what i wanted from the started.  And I cannot hit ships.  I'm not trying to snipe.  I am try to work 8-15k range.

I don't have the aiming systems mod anymore, due to using the secondary build.  It seems the shell land just short of the ship, and do nothing.  most land like 5 feet short.  I've tried raising to my aim to upper belt.   It had helped some, but i still feel like i'm missing something, or maybe I need to adjust for this ship only.  I play well in other BBs, so I dont see why the aim here would be different.  This is more prevalent of course int he Tier X battles due to longer ranges and the stale mate type game play in high tiers, but still happens in Tier 8 games.

Any advice?  Git Gud?  Thanks

Hey

I originally started to do a secondary build as you have also but found the guns were garbage (couldn't hit a broadside cruiser at short range changed my mind) so I took off the secondary module and installed the aiming accuracy upgrade and that was a great decision for me, at least my guns can now hit something, although the German dispersion is still an issue at longer ranges.  Ship;  Gun Mod. 1, aiming Accuracy, Damage Control 1, Steering gears, concealment.   Capt (17pt):  PM, dual fighters, EM, basics of survivability, BFT, AFT and will add AR next.  I now love the Bismarck, very capable, fun, always to be taken seriously.  Word of advice:  I literally hate the FDG, mine is fully upgraded with a 14pt Capt, and that ship for me is a POS!

Pete  

Edited by sasquatch_research
  • Cool 1

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,661 posts
14,025 battles

German 15" guns are garbage at anything above brawling range.  That is where German BBs equipped as such falter, if they have to rely on their main battery because the conditions won't let them speed in and use secondaries.  All I can say is, "Keep at it."

Now, you could slot ASM1 to improve main battery dispersion but you will be giving up SBM2 for your secondaries, which for a lot of guys, is the whole point of running German BBs to begin with.

[S_B]
Members
415 posts
10,532 battles

I struggled without the aiming mod too on my Bismarck so I got rid of the secondary build as I have my Tirpitz set up that way. I went aiming, steering & concealment on my Bismarck. I'm enjoying it more and when I want to really brawl I can do that with my Tirpitz. 

Sign in to follow this