You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Wanturskul

T10 BBs, Why so many float planes?

21 comments in this topic

Members
30 posts
4,263 battles

Last weekend I finished a couple of my T9 BB grinds and unlocked the Yamato and GK.  I have only played one battle in the GK so far, other lines to grind :cap_rambo:.

One thing I noticed is both the GK and Yamato have 7 floatplanes with the regular consumable and 8 with the premium.  Now I run the superintendent skill for additional heals so I know it adds one.  So without that there is 6 and 7.:cap_look:

Why do they need that many planes?  The matches are 20 minutes or 1200 seconds.  The standard float plane is active for 100 secs and cools for 360 seconds. So, with the cool down you can have a max of 3 planes launched in a match.  1200(match time) / 360 (cool down time) = 3.333333.  With the premium it is a little better with 5 planes in a match.  1200 / 240 (premium cool down time) = 5.  So why the extra planes?:cap_fainting:

I thought maybe for the planes that get shot down, but you still have to wait on the cool down eliminating that thought.

Now is my math wrong or do they give you planes you could never use?  Standard use 3 planes in a match but have 3 left over, premium 5 in a match with 2 left over.:cap_popcorn:

[HINON]
Supertester
18,954 posts
12,460 battles
4 minutes ago, Wanturskul said:

Now is my math wrong or do they give you planes you could never use?

Basically.

Personally I'm fine with it. It's a small comfort but a comfort nonetheless that I'll never have to worry about running out of planes in those ships.

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,694 battles

Don't question government wasted spending and corruption.  You'll be labeled a fascist and it will get you a failing grade in most college courses. 

• Cool 3

Members
30 posts
4,263 battles
4 minutes ago, Lert said:

Basically.

Personally I'm fine with it. It's a small comfort but a comfort nonetheless that I'll never have to worry about running out of planes in those ships.

Thanks, I thought my client had an error till I looked at the wiki.  So many planes!!!

[SCCC]
Members
206 posts
11,672 battles

What they should do is allow you to launch as many planes as you want at a time.  Let the player decide if he wants to just put up one to help spotting or launch them all during those Oh SH-T moments of 7 plane groups you get to see in upper tiers.  Then, it would make sense.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,239 posts
39 minutes ago, Wanturskul said:

Last weekend I finished a couple of my T9 BB grinds and unlocked the Yamato and GK.  I have only played one battle in the GK so far, other lines to grind :cap_rambo:.

One thing I noticed is both the GK and Yamato have 7 floatplanes with the regular consumable and 8 with the premium.  Now I run the superintendent skill for additional heals so I know it adds one.  So without that there is 6 and 7.:cap_look:

Why do they need that many planes?  The matches are 20 minutes or 1200 seconds.  The standard float plane is active for 100 secs and cools for 360 seconds. So, with the cool down you can have a max of 3 planes launched in a match.  1200(match time) / 360 (cool down time) = 3.333333.  With the premium it is a little better with 5 planes in a match.  1200 / 240 (premium cool down time) = 5.  So why the extra planes?:cap_fainting:

I thought maybe for the planes that get shot down, but you still have to wait on the cool down eliminating that thought.

Now is my math wrong or do they give you planes you could never use?  Standard use 3 planes in a match but have 3 left over, premium 5 in a match with 2 left over.:cap_popcorn:

So that potatoes can launch 2 at a time with the low tier perk presumably.

Members
30 posts
4,263 battles
3 minutes ago, w4spl3g said:

So that potatoes can launch 2 at a time with the low tier perk presumably.

Those two with that perk only count as one use.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,312 posts
9,404 battles

On the Yamato, she could carry 7 in real life, so that's her load out in game, For the paper ships, I guess it would matter how imaginary they are.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

Personally... always thought it would be appropriate for a BB launched spotter plane to be (optionally) given a path on the map. When the path ended, the plane would return to the ship and circle until it was time to land. If it were far from the ship, it would return in sufficient time so as to not run out of fuel and crash. 

[HINON]
Members
8,842 posts

If the planes get shot down early you could go through more than you think. Although getting through the whole stock is going to be unlikely.

Beta Testers
1,465 posts
8,760 battles
10 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

If the planes get shot down early you could go through more than you think. Although getting through the whole stock is going to be unlikely.

It is not just unlikely; it would be impossible. 

Let us assume the following:

1. You are using the Premium consumable, with the shorter cool down of 240 seconds.
  2. Your first launch does not require a cool down, so you can launch as soon as the battle starts.
  3. You are quick reacting and you launch at the exact moment the plane comes off of cool down each time (and at the start of the match).
  4. Each time you launch, your plane gets shot down right as it leaves the catapult, meaning the cool down starts immediately
  5. We will ignore for now the animation time required for the plane to launch and become able to be shot down.

Even in those circumstances, you would launch at 0 seconds, wait for the cool down, launch at the 4 minute mark, wait for the cool down, and so on again at the 8 minute mark, the 12 minute mark, the 16 minute mark, and the 20 minute mark.  That means that, even in the most "ideal" (assuming you consider never actually getting a spotter airborne, ideal) conditions, the absolute maximum aircraft you could launch would be 6.  Even that is a fantasy because the game ends at the 20 minute mark, meaning the plane would never actually launch.

Thus, the theoretical maximum would be 6, but that maximum would never be reached because there is a short pause between the time the aircraft is launched and the time it is airborne and able to be shot down.  That means the last cool down would always go beyond the end of the match, meaning, realistically, the most you could launch is 5.

Even so, 6 is still less than the number available, so he is correct, you could never launch them all under any conditions.

Members
687 posts
3,667 battles

Because this is WoWS.  They don't allow submarine planes.

Sorry, about that...

Members
30 posts
4,263 battles
7 minutes ago, Sotaudi said:

It is not just unlikely; it would be impossible. 

Let us assume the following:

1. You are using the Premium consumable, with the shorter cool down of 240 seconds.
  2. Your first launch does not require a cool down, so you can launch as soon as the battle starts.
  3. You are quick reacting and you launch at the exact moment the plane comes off of cool down each time (and at the start of the match).
  4. Each time you launch, your plane gets shot down right as it leaves the catapult, meaning the cool down starts immediately
  5. We will ignore for now the animation time required for the plane to launch and become able to be shot down.

Even in those circumstances, you would launch at 0 seconds, wait for the cool down, launch at the 4 minute mark, wait for the cool down, and so on again at the 8 minute mark, the 12 minute mark, the 16 minute mark, and the 20 minute mark.  That means that, even in the most "ideal" (assuming you consider never actually getting a spotter airborne, ideal) conditions, the absolute maximum aircraft you could launch would be 6.  Even that is a fantasy because the game ends at the 20 minute mark, meaning the plane would never actually launch.

Thus, the theoretical maximum would be 6, but that maximum would never be reached because there is a short pause between the time the aircraft is launched and the time it is airborne and able to be shot down.  That means the last cool down would always go beyond the end of the match, meaning, realistically, the most you could launch is 5.

Even so, 6 is still less than the number available, so he is correct, you could never launch them all under any conditions.

Does the cool down on the planes start after the plane returns/shot down, or after the activation of the consumable?  I never really pay attention to the cool down on the planes. 

Still doesn't make much of a difference in the number carried and the number that can be launched.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,682 posts
10,011 battles

The cooldown is also triggered by them being shot down, right? So in theory...

... it's still far too many!

Beta Testers
1,465 posts
8,760 battles
19 minutes ago, Wanturskul said:

Does the cool down on the planes start after the plane returns/shot down, or after the activation of the consumable?  I never really pay attention to the cool down on the planes. 

Still doesn't make much of a difference in the number carried and the number that can be launched.

When you launch a plane, the button shows a timer.  That timer is the time until the plane has to return to the ship.  Once it returns, the timer on the button switches to the cool down.  I could be mistaken, but I believe that is when the first tick of the cool down starts.

If the plane gets shot down, it cancels the remaining up-time of the plane and immediately starts its cool down timer.

In either case, it would not matter as shown in my previous post since we were assuming the spotter was shot down immediately, meaning the only time being consumed was the cool down.  That means that under any condition, the maximum number of catapult plane activations is five for any ship in the game.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,038 posts
12,524 battles

The true purpose of those planes is to make Clear Sky impossible to get above Tier 8.

• Cool 2

[AR]
[AR]
Members
312 posts
11,647 battles

I don't know about the other high tier BBs, but I know that the German BB's through the tiers have catapult fighters that last 90s. I've ran out of premium catapult fighters many times. Keep in mind that as the tiers get higher, the bigger the CV hangar gets. The increased catapult fighters you have is to compensate for this. It is the spotter planes that you are not likely to totally use up.

Members
30 posts
4,263 battles
15 minutes ago, Aiser50 said:

I don't know about the other high tier BBs, but I know that the German BB's through the tiers have catapult fighters that last 90s. I've ran out of premium catapult fighters many times. Keep in mind that as the tiers get higher, the bigger the CV hangar gets. The increased catapult fighters you have is to compensate for this. It is the spotter planes that you are not likely to totally use up.

I think the active time of fighters and spotters used to be the same, but a patch a few months ago changed that. 

The issue is with the cool down though, there is never enough time for all of them to be launched.  

I have had my T9 BBs for a while but I never noticed running out of planes.   They have one less, so they could have too many as well. Then each lower tier is one less too, so then you can use them all.  

Maybe they meant to make a longer game mode and never got around to it.:cap_hmm::cap_yes::cap_old:

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,257 posts
24,787 battles

I'd be happy if you could recall spotter planes.

[5IN]
Members
1,785 posts
8,109 battles
2 hours ago, Edgecase said:

The true purpose of those planes is to make Clear Sky impossible to get above Tier 8.

Lol, you beat me to it.  Out of up votes, so heres a +1:Smile_medal:

B