You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

When stupid cancels out

8 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
2,174 posts
9,656 battles

Had a game in my Dougy last night on Fault Line (I think). Worried from the start as there were 2 CVs, CAs and DDs per team, so lots of BBs. Figured my unarmored, high visibility ship was going to die early. Spawned with the half of our team on our base. Went north a bit. Engaged the enemy and dodged return fire. Noticed most of our the team went south, just me, a DD, BB and CV remained with our 2nd CV heading north. BB was sunk, DD put up a good fight, good use of smoke, but went down soon after. It now was me and 2 CVs holding our base. Both teams were about equal at this point. I put out a call for help. Nobody charged back north until the end of the game.

The enemy had several BBs that could have easily charged in and taken the base but were more interested in shooting to the south so I rarely had to dodge much (though I stayed at long range just in case). One of the enemy CVs suddenly appeared charging our base (wth?) so I prioritized him until he sank. Enemy BBs still fired mostly to the south. Our largely unmolested CVs did their job and eventually the battle turned in our favor. It was not a spectacular performance by me, I don't think I was the teams most valuable player,  but I survived and managed to torp a BB sneaking thru the islands to attack our CVs. RNG was good to me that game.

It seems our bonehead move was countered by an equally bonehead move by the enemy of forgetting objectives, seeking battle instead of the sure win.

• Cool 1

Members
3,554 posts
6,867 battles

It's the only time I laugh with potato teams--with both teams Potatoes-R-Us swinging away in  a pitch dark room with baseball bats. You can't make this stuff up.

[LHG]
Members
1,618 posts
4,887 battles

Well, one of the biggest and most common mistakes I see is when a team fails to keep a close eye on their base in standard battle mode.  I know, everyone wants to take that illusive lure of the Big Red circle or chase shiny objects like the enemy CV's (they have to be around here somewhere, right?).  All too often, the game comes down to a couple of ships at the friendly base trying to stem the red horde while all the green ships are off on the other end of the map.  

Sometimes you win, most often you get bulldozed under which is probably what should have happened here if the red ships were paying attention.  

• Cool 2

[CVA16]
Members
2,174 posts
9,656 battles
1 hour ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

which is probably what should have happened here if the red ships were paying attention. 

Some of them were almost in our base but changed course for some unknown (to me) reason. You would think the chance to gun down a squishy cruiser and a CV (don't know if they knew they were both there) would get the noobs salivating. I was being annoying and I'm sure our planes were beating them up. Only the red CV seemed to making a bee line for our base. May be he was out of planes and decided to do something...expecting more support than he got.  Capping a base usually (finally) brings the enemy racing back so you don't have to chase them.

Edited by Sabot_100

[R-F1]
Beta Testers
1,845 posts
6,765 battles

This is why half the time even when my team wins, even if it's a close match, I refuse to give out "gg"

Wins like the OP describe occur far too often, and they aren't the result of being more skilled than the other side, but rather being more lucky than the other side.

It's the difference between winning by virtue of out playing the other guy, and winning because the other guy tripped over his own feet before you accidentally do the same.

[B_O_W]
Members
241 posts
5,322 battles

Sometimes, you just can't fix stupid.  We all do something that a learning player would do out of ignorance.  Out own "why the fxxx did I do that?" king of stupid thing.

Being a combat vet, I never left anybody behind.  I bring that to WoW, no matter how stupid or suicidal their actions may be.  Sometimes I can help them, sometimes I get delete for helping.  Still, sometimes you just can not fix stupid.

It takes a team, working together, to be successful.  I have been in numerous games where it is filled with either experienced or inexperienced individuals who do not understand teamwork.

[RO-I]
Members
339 posts
On 9/19/2017 at 1:07 PM, Sabot_100 said:

Had a game in my Dougy last night on Fault Line (I think). Worried from the start as there were 2 CVs, CAs and DDs per team, so lots of BBs. Figured my unarmored, high visibility ship was going to die early. Spawned with the half of our team on our base. Went north a bit. Engaged the enemy and dodged return fire. Noticed most of our the team went south, just me, a DD, BB and CV remained with our 2nd CV heading north. BB was sunk, DD put up a good fight, good use of smoke, but went down soon after. It now was me and 2 CVs holding our base. Both teams were about equal at this point. I put out a call for help. Nobody charged back north until the end of the game.

The enemy had several BBs that could have easily charged in and taken the base but were more interested in shooting to the south so I rarely had to dodge much (though I stayed at long range just in case). One of the enemy CVs suddenly appeared charging our base (wth?) so I prioritized him until he sank. Enemy BBs still fired mostly to the south. Our largely unmolested CVs did their job and eventually the battle turned in our favor. It was not a spectacular performance by me, I don't think I was the teams most valuable player,  but I survived and managed to torp a BB sneaking thru the islands to attack our CVs. RNG was good to me that game.

It seems our bonehead move was countered by an equally bonehead move by the enemy of forgetting objectives, seeking battle instead of the sure win.

Edited by tincan_SC
stupid to replay to this stuff