Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ju87s

No Smoke Nerf?

13 comments in this topic

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,107 battles

Dasha didn't mention it in the update video and it's not listed on the page as a change.  Please tell me the decided not to go through with it!

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,161 battles
8 minutes ago, Ju87s said:

Dasha didn't mention it in the update video and it's not listed on the page as a change.  Please tell me the decided not to go through with it!

Still in testing, they need to fine-tine all the values for the ships and make sure it doesn't break the Uk CLs.

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

From what I can see, it is not coming this patch. Don't know why it isn't seeing as it was under testing these past two PT rounds.

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,107 battles
11 minutes ago, issm said:

It's not as if it would have actually worked.

I don't see it doing anything other than screwing over the Perth and causing more passive play from BBs.

• Cool 1

[NG-NL]
Members
4,958 posts
8,103 battles
20 minutes ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

Still in testing, they need to fine-tine all the values for the ships and make sure it doesn't break the Uk CLs.

Well the meta puts the camping distance between CA/BB smoke as around 8-14km. I'd say a 5.5-6.5km for UK CLs would do for detect range.

1 minute ago, Ju87s said:

I don't see it doing anything other than screwing over the Perth and causing more passive play from BBs.

Perth is UK premium, so chillax. Besides, it's the only ship with radar and smoke, so it's better able to say "boo!"

BBs who play passively are part of the problem. Anything that makes passive playing less rewarding is acceptable in my book.

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,107 battles
5 minutes ago, Reymu said:

Perth is UK premium, so chillax. Besides, it's the only ship with radar and smoke, so it's better able to say "boo!"

BBs who play passively are part of the problem. Anything that makes passive playing less rewarding is acceptable in my book.

You're thinking of the Belfast.  Perth has no radar. The range of its guns are only 12.8km, so it relied on getting in close with smoke.  Now DDs can just pull up close and there's nothing the Perth can really do to defend itself since the spotting range is longer than the range of its sonar.

Yes, passive BB play is definitely part of the problem.  This doesn't make passive play less rewarding though.  Now that BBs know they can't be protected by smoke, they will be all the more like to stay in the back camping and bow tanking.  Same goes for heavy cruisers which were already vulnerable enough as a ship type.

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
22 minutes ago, Ju87s said:

Perth has one of the stealthiest smoke firing with the change amongst cruisers at 4.5km. Only Atlanta and Flint are the same to slightly better due to their smaller guns.

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,107 battles
3 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

Perth has one of the stealthiest smoke firing with the change amongst cruisers at 4.5km. Only Atlanta and Flint are the same to slightly better due to their smaller guns.

but that is still large enough for a DD to just sail up to it and unload without the perth being able to see the DD and fire back, because the DD will be cloaked by the Perth's own smoke.  This isn't as much of a problem for other RNCLs because they have better range, but the point of the Perth was to get in close and help contest caps.

• Cool 1

[RIPQP]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Supertester
725 posts
7,647 battles

4.5 km is about twice that of autodetect range, and any half-decent player can already blind fire at you within 5 km anyway, even if you're pulling Perth shenanigans. 

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,161 battles
5 minutes ago, Ju87s said:

but that is still large enough for a DD to just sail up to it and unload without the perth being able to see the DD and fire back, because the DD will be cloaked by the Perth's own smoke.  This isn't as much of a problem for other RNCLs because they have better range, but the point of the Perth was to get in close and help contest caps.

Isn't the Perth's Hydro have a range better than 4.5 km? Also you can use the plane to spot for you.

[LTNY]
Members
335 posts
4,045 battles

I hope they can it and work on some real solution instead of what was put foward.

[HEROS]
Members
1,400 posts
11,820 battles

Your right, the smoke changes are not in this patch!  The smoke changes are not ready for prime time... I addressed it myself on the test server feed back forums from my own experience on the test server.  The current proposed changes really don't change the game that much in regular random battle play though it will impact play in Ranked battles, and in supremacy league competitive play.   (very large effect there due to typically closer combat ranges!)     The proposed changes are well... "clunky" and in-elegant.   they don't feel right, and don't quite work right as of yet from a game play POV. .  Too many "special" cases, and a whole lot of code with values that need to be fine tuned.  I'd much rather them get it right so it never has to be messed with again.

SO yes, rejoice!  You are saved from the smoke changes... for now!

Warlord sends

Sign in to follow this