You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BrandonKF

My Early Thoughts on Myogi...

17 comments in this topic

Members
594 posts
4,414 battles

Good day, everyone.

I thought I would take time out as a new player to reflect on the Myogi.

Fair warning, I'm a below average player at best for the moment, so these reflections might need correction by veterans, but I wanted to record them for posterity.

Simply put, I started a couple days ago, on this account, to get started on the IJN battleship line, for one reason: I wanted to see what the Kongo felt like.

After two gruesome days of raging at others, last night I finally found my groove with this, the Myogi.

How? Its gun set-up is horrible, it can be seen from almost anywhere on the map, it has NO AA.

Simply put, I learned to play the long game. Alot of the maps are island heavy, and these are the waters of destroyers and cruisers that, at this point in the game and on tier IV, have the firepower to end a battleship handily if one is dumb enough to sail into those straits.

The Myogi does have some advantages, but they're situational. One, you're far faster than the Kawachi tub. Two, your guns have far greater reach.

Following Jingles' advice, I began preaiming my batteries in the first 30 seconds of the game. Typically my rear guns will go to starboard (don't ask me why), so I'd find myself traveling in a clockwise direction. I also vary my speed depending on how close to the edge of the map I am.

If I noticed I was about to cross into the enemy's area before the first 4 minutes of the game had passed, I would reaim my cursor on the opposite side of the ship, and then begin my turn back. This way after a minute, I was back in line with the center of the map. Reason being is simple, destroyers love sinking lone BBs. And when I extended too far, I'd be alone to face a barrage of long range main guns, plus torpedoes.

Another great thing is tagging along with a couple destroyers or a destroyer and cruiser. Big boys pay attention to me and less on the little fish, so the little fish get a chance to maneuver and handle other little fish. If I have an opportune shot on a destroyer within 10 kilometers, I'll likely take it. About 70 percent of the time I'll miss, but it gives the destroyer captain a fit, and reminds him I'm not blind. Plus, it can throw off his aim on my fellow destroyers and cruisers, giving them the time to put some rounds into the enemy.

The threat at tier IV I have the greatest respect for is a smart carrier captain. I don't have any flak to put up, so I am literally an XP dump for TBs. Thus if I see a carrier on the opposite team, I'm sticking in the vicinity of cruisers or BBs with flak, or I'm staying in the rear long-bombing.

Dispersion and RNG show I'll miss most of the time at anything beyond 14 kilometers, but throw enough out, something will hit, and maybe even citadel. I really enjoy the spotter plane for that.

Ultimately, my initial aversion to the Myogi, and grumbling about how it isn't the ship I was told, has ebbed, and I'm fairly confident with it now.

My fear now is going to a baseline Kongo, which is really just a battlecruiser. Sure, the upgraded Kongo might play like an absolute dream compared to the Myogi, but it will take a lot of victories and damage and sunk ships to get to that point. I'll grit my teeth through most of it, but in the meantime I might start on the American line, and possibly the Germans.

• Cool 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,169 posts
1,654 battles

Fully upgraded her AA isn't bad for a Tier IV ship.

She just sucks in general.  I did above average in her, but as I've said elsewhere she actually got me to quit the game for almost a year.  She just isn't fun.

• Cool 1

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,314 posts
9,414 battles

You're biggest challenge with the Kongo, will be tier 5 matchmaking.

Also, Jingles video on the Kongo is a bit dated, there's less to research.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Kongo only has one hull to upgrade now. She still does good work in battles, being the fastest battleship at tier does wonders for you.

• Cool 1

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts

Don't worry about Kongou, she's a very solid ship. Lots and lots of potential when played right. Don't go face brawl the Germans though. 

• Cool 1

Members
8,085 posts
17,038 battles

Sounds like you've found a bit of a groove with Myogi. Sure, I didn't actually play it until long after I played the USN and KM battleships; but that experience paid off and I rather enjoyed playing Myogi.

If nothing else; it's wonky turret layout meant I liked it for the same reason I liked Konigsburg; you can run from annoying things but still have most of your firepower pointed at said annoyance.

Kongo has a better turret layout and more speed and AA; but I felt that Myogi was actually a tougher ship...

• Cool 1

Members
159 posts
1,135 battles

I enjoy playing my (ARP) Kongou but the only issue I have is she can get on to maps that are too small where I can not properly stretch her legs. However, she is one of the best ships for redeploying where your 8 x 14/45's are best needed.

• Cool 1

Members
594 posts
4,414 battles
50 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

Fully upgraded her AA isn't bad for a Tier IV ship.

She just sucks in general.  I did above average in her, but as I've said elsewhere she actually got me to quit the game for almost a year.  She just isn't fun.

I'd read your comment about quitting for a year. I was near that around 15 battles ago. I sucked it up, though, and finally turned my stubborn nature into something useful.

She is fun for me, now, but will she be after the Kongo? That likely is a no. Still, for being tiered against IV and III, she has taught me valuable lessons in patience and decision-making as a battleship captain.

46 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

You're biggest challenge with the Kongo, will be tier 5 matchmaking.

Also, Jingles video on the Kongo is a bit dated, there's less to research.

36 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

Kongo only has one hull to upgrade now. She still does good work in battles, being the fastest battleship at tier does wonders for you.

This is good to know. It's the amount of XP between upgrades that has me chewing my lip. After only 5,000 XP or so in lower tiers, 20,000 and more sounds like a lot of grind. I don't even know if I'll be going with a premium account to do it.

28 minutes ago, TTK_Aegis said:

Don't worry about Kongou, she's a very solid ship. Lots and lots of potential when played right. Don't go face brawl the Germans though. 

Thanks. I'll try to avoid it. Really, brawling isn't the Myogi's strong suit. Too many captains avoid that 3.5-klick range to make brawling worthwhile in her.

24 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Sounds like you've found a bit of a groove with Myogi. Sure, I didn't actually play it until long after I played the USN and KM battleships; but that experience paid off and I rather enjoyed playing Myogi.

If nothing else; it's wonky turret layout meant I liked it for the same reason I liked Konigsburg; you can run from annoying things but still have most of your firepower pointed at said annoyance.

Kongo has a better turret layout and more speed and AA; but I felt that Myogi was actually a tougher ship...

I do notice the occasional humor in being able to stay further out at speed and long-bombing BBs with four guns, or clipping a destroyer that's launched a long range spread from my aft end.

As for tough, she can be, I feel, at range. Pinning her in a corner though is a killer. She's meant to stretch in open waters. If ever I go into narrow straits, it's to spam my secondaries, and so far I haven't quite figured how to do that yet against destroyers.

Members
594 posts
4,414 battles
3 minutes ago, GenErick64 said:

I enjoy playing my (ARP) Kongou but the only issue I have is she can get on to maps that are too small where I can not properly stretch her legs. However, she is one of the best ships for redeploying where your 8 x 14/45's are best needed.

Sounds like I will have things to look forward to. Though that mid turret might not see as much action. After a few citadels, I'm not too keen on using one more set of guns by risking my liver.

Members
159 posts
1,135 battles
1 minute ago, BrandonKF said:

Sounds like I will have things to look forward to. Though that mid turret might not see as much action. After a few citadels, I'm not too keen on using one more set of guns by risking my liver.

Knowing when to angle and when to broadside is all a matter of experience to be gained.

• Cool 1

[PLPT]
Members
9,915 posts
10,343 battles

OMG I barely remember that ship... but what I DO remember is that at least it was better than the Kawachi, LOL

• Cool 1

Members
8,085 posts
17,038 battles
1 hour ago, BrandonKF said:

As for tough, she can be, I feel, at range. Pinning her in a corner though is a killer. She's meant to stretch in open waters. If ever I go into narrow straits, it's to spam my secondaries, and so far I haven't quite figured how to do that yet against destroyers

Works best if you (or perhaps your allies,) can whack destroyers a few times before they get close; that way your secondaries don't have to try as hard.

Only battleships that can truly make life hell for destroyers are Mikasa at Tier 2, the German T7 and up battleships, (though Bayern can give it a good try with Manual Secondaries and with the secondaries signal,)  and a few of the other high-tier battleships.

• Cool 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,169 posts
1,654 battles

Kongo uptiers better than any other Tier V BB due to her speed and range.  Yes, facing a Hood that wants you dead sucks as Hood is better in every significant way, but I only had that happen once.  Against every other Tier VII BB you can hold your own surprisingly well.

Members
594 posts
4,414 battles
18 hours ago, Helstrem said:

Kongo uptiers better than any other Tier V BB due to her speed and range.  Yes, facing a Hood that wants you dead sucks as Hood is better in every significant way, but I only had that happen once.  Against every other Tier VII BB you can hold your own surprisingly well.

I have heard about this being uptiered by 2 starting at V. That's probably going to be a whopper for me.

In the meantime, I was confused earlier about the Myogi's AA. Until I realized there was an unknown Myogi C hull.

Well, hello there, Kongo Junior. Even has that pretty Japanese citadel that I stared at while reading about World War 2 when I was a teenager.

And hello, hello, extra hit points.

First two match-ups last night were painful. I switched to a destroyer to try something different and grind XP, got sunk after out lasting a few of my friendly BBs, then went back to Myogi.

That's when the slaughter began. First match early, I go into close range with a V-150, and promptly ate 8 torps.

Piiiisssed.

Second match I stay back, but my team crumples, and eventually I decide to just run up the middle. I went down secondaries blasting and crippled in front of the whole ball'o'reds.

Now I'm really questioning my choice.

Final match for the night.

We match up against a couple Vs, many IVs, and a couple lonely III destroyers.

My shots are getting more accurate, but in typical Warships fashion, RNG is making my enemies wet while they get a few good poundings on me early on.

My team CV, who was following in the trail, couldn't keep up, and was finally wasted by a cruiser I had citadeled once prior to, and another battleship. Another Myogi, with a talented captain (or perhaps just lucky).

However, with our backs against the wall, the other BBs in the furball ahead succeed in wiping out the enemy almost to a man. And from the rear, I decide to go toe to toe with my opposite.

By the time I had fired four salvos, we had closed to less than 10 klicks, and RNG was not with me. I was at two thirds health, and caught fire.

I decided to go down swinging. We were now 3 on 2, with the other Myogi and a cruiser.

I broadsided the cruiser, and at less than 5 klicks, my AP scattered.

By that time I was an inferno. I bowed in, and by that point the other Myogi had accidentally grounded on an island and was trying desperately to maneuver away from the other two BBs, pouring a turret into me.

At long last. Contact. I rammed him.

The end result... my best damage match to date.

received_10156355113639386-1.jpg

• Cool 1

[SCREW]
Members
28 posts
5,971 battles

Nicely done BrandonKF!  

I read the thread and can't help but wonder what you've been doing with your captains and upgrading their skills.  I've only been playing a few months, nearly 6 months now, and it wasn't until the 3rd month that someone really clued me in to how important those are, and that I should be moving my highest captain up to my new ship to help me in that tier.  I now frequent the wiki to see what skills are recommended for each ship I research.  

You may already know about this, but thought I'd pass it along just in case.

Cheers mate!! Good hunting!

Edited by Disciplyne
  • Cool 1

Members
594 posts
4,414 battles
19 hours ago, Disciplyne said:

Nicely done BrandonKF!  

I read the thread and can't help but wonder what you've been doing with your captains and upgrading their skills.  I've only been playing a few months, nearly 6 months now, and it wasn't until the 3rd month that someone really clued me in to how important those are, and that I should be moving my highest captain up to my new ship to help me in that tier.  I now frequent the wiki to see what skills are recommended for each ship I research.  

You may already know about this, but thought I'd pass it along just in case.

Cheers mate!! Good hunting!

I actually didn't move the captain from the Myogi to the Kongo. So I'll have to. I'm still uncertain of how much an impact that will have on gameplay, but I've certainly noticed a difference in play when with flags, camo, and a skill 3 or 4 captain than with one with 1 skill point. Thanks for the reminder, I'll see you in there.

[SCREW]
Members
28 posts
5,971 battles
1 minute ago, BrandonKF said:

I actually didn't move the captain from the Myogi to the Kongo. So I'll have to. I'm still uncertain of how much an impact that will have on gameplay, but I've certainly noticed a difference in play when with flags, camo, and a skill 3 or 4 captain than with one with 1 skill point. Thanks for the reminder, I'll see you in there.

You're welcome.  It also helps to look ahead at the ships you're going to be running when deciding what new skill to select.  Getting higher tier and having to reset skills you need for the ship you want to end up with in a line can get expensive.  Learned that the hard way .. ;)

• Cool 1