You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Dr_Venture

Thinking about buying the Mikhail Kutuzov

31 comments in this topic

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,759 posts
4,544 battles

So.....seen these guys slinging HE at long range...very annoying ships to kill all in all....like the idea of smoking/firing people...and I hear she prints rubels faster than the Tirpitz prints birdie marked gold. 

So....what say you brain trust?

[RIPQP]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Supertester
725 posts
7,647 battles

Very good ship, but yeah, wait until the smoke nerf gets resolved to see whether it remains competitive or not.

[SALVO]
Members
16,721 posts
17,314 battles

I've also been thinking about getting the MK, but like Combined and Fantomex have suggested, I think that waiting to see how the smoke change shakes out is a good idea before making a decision on the MK.

Members
17,842 posts
5,096 battles

Shouldn't be a huge deal. IMO MK doesn't have the agility needed to set up at ranges where the smoke changes will matter, as opposed to RN CLs. And it has enough range and accuracy that it doesn't need to.

Only real change I can see (as someone who doesn't have one) is that if someone charges your cloud, you'll want to GTFO earlier.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
18,979 posts
12,488 battles
20 minutes ago, Combined_Fleet_HQ said:

Wait and hear the consensus after the smoke nerf goes live.

She's great but who knows how she'll fair soon?

Nothing much will change. The smoke firing happens at longer ranges than 6km anyways.

@Dr_Venture: Buy her if you like burninating the countryside.

Spoiler

[SALVO]
Members
16,721 posts
17,314 battles

Very good point, Lert.  if you're using the MK's smoke to fire at long ranges, the changes should be moot.  OTOH, if you're using it to fire at closer ranges, that would be a different issue.

Members
1,015 posts
12,931 battles

I own the MK but I'm not a hide in smoke and shoot kind of player. I use smoke to help extract myself from tight situations so for me that's not going to change.

The MK is a CA on steroids. Good fire starting guns and very useable torpedoes. It does suffer from the same failing that all CAs have in that it dies very easily. Most people play it as a long distance fire spammer but that's never been my style. It is a DDs nightmare when you get right up in their faces and even other CAs will often head the other way when they see you coming. BBs can and do one salvo you into oblivion but they often forget about the torps you're carrying as they focus on blowing you out of the water.

It's a fun ship to play but difficult to do well in all of the time.

[CK5]
Members
783 posts
6,261 battles

According to the notes for update 0.6.11, the fire-starting chance for IFHE for guns larger than 139mm will not change.  That, frankly, was the bigger change being proposed as the smoke nerf for MK should not be that big of a deal if you use smoke defensively to disengage.  The MK makes a lot of credits and does just fine up-tiered to T9 and T10 matches.  I would recommend it.  

• Cool 1

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles
5 minutes ago, PrairiePlayer said:

According to the notes for update 0.6.11, the fire-starting chance for IFHE for guns larger than 139mm will not change.  That, frankly, was the bigger change being proposed as the smoke nerf for MK should not be that big of a deal if you use smoke defensively to disengage.  The MK makes a lot of credits and does just fine up-tiered to T9 and T10 matches.  I would recommend it.  

We changed the rate of the Inertia Fuse for HE Shells Skill to increase its value for ships with small-caliber guns. Now ships with armament up to 139mm will have -1% to the chance of setting an enemy ship on fire, and ships with gun calibers higher than 139mm will have a -3% chance, of setting an enemy ship on fire,

Edited by Wulfgarn

[CK5]
Members
783 posts
6,261 battles
7 minutes ago, Wulfgarn said:

We changed the rate of the Inertia Fuse for HE Shells Skill to increase its value for ships with small-caliber guns. Now ships with armament up to 139mm will have -1% to the chance of setting an enemy ship on fire, and ships with gun calibers higher than 139mm will have a -3% chance, of setting an enemy ship on fire,

Um, yes, so the fire-starting chance for MK's 152mm guns with the IFHE skill will not change.  

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,040 posts
12,536 battles
4 minutes ago, Wulfgarn said:

Yes. Which is not a change for guns >139mm, the existing penalty is 3%.

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles
3 minutes ago, PrairiePlayer said:

Um, yes, so the fire-starting chance for MK's 152mm guns with the IFHE skill will not change.  

3 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Yes. Which is not a change for guns >139mm, the existing penalty is 3%.

Yup, read that wrong. 

Thanks for pointing that out! :Smile_honoring:

Edited by Wulfgarn

[-K-]
[-K-]
5,763 posts
6,737 battles
7 hours ago, Combined_Fleet_HQ said:

Wait and hear the consensus after the smoke nerf goes live.

Smoke changes won't affect Kutuzov all that much. It's already sort of dangerous to smoke up within 8-9km of someone -- you don't have hydro, radar, or even a spotting plane. You also don't have magic acceleration of RN CL. What you do have, however, is insane range and very good dispersion.

[-K-]
[-K-]
5,763 posts
6,737 battles
7 hours ago, Dr_Venture said:

So.....seen these guys slinging HE at long range...very annoying ships to kill all in all....like the idea of smoking/firing people...and I hear she prints rubels faster than the Tirpitz prints birdie marked gold. 

Great ship. Pretty nimble, awesome guns, decent torpedoes, smoke, and AA that makes carriers wish they were never born. What's not to like?

The only concern I have is some possible giant IFHE nerf, but looks like -7% fire chance change didn't go through.

[MIA-A]
[MIA-A]
2,012 posts
7,686 battles

Get the Belfast instead. Plays similarly but has OP radar for potential free wins. 

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,677 posts
14,045 battles

Kutozov should still be fine.  Smoke change matters if you like to smoke at short range as a Cruiser.  IFHE change wasn't a nerf, it actually buffed 139mm guns or smaller.  In function, Kutuzov should not be affected at all.  No sane Kutuzov player likes to creep within 10km or so and smoke up.  The risks of radar, torpedoes, etc. goes up high the closer you get to single digit ranged engagements anyways.

Lastly, this thread made me remember a glorious time I had once facing Kutuzovs...

[OPG]
Members
3,913 posts
5,510 battles

Yes, I highly recommend the Kutuzov.  She is a great ship and I really doubt these changes will affect her in the slightest.  In my opinion she is by far the strongest Tier 8 cruiser and really does not care at all about MM.  Heck, if anything she actually prefers to go against tier 10s.  She prints credits at a reasonable rate, farms fire flags and is just an all-around solid crap.  She really is the quintessential HE spammer.  

[INTEL]
Members
8,462 posts
25,360 battles

Dont hesitate, since the smoke nerf didn't apply to her. With IFHE she is brutal, and the only reason you won't put up 100K is if one team collapses or you get dev striked early. Her torps are excellent, she's quick on her feet, and her AP wrecks cruisers. She is fine uptiered, since T10s burn just as well as T6s, but for more XP. She also makes tons of credits

Very good value for the money. 

PS: I run both IFHE and DE with a 19 pt captain, and don't bother with CE. 

Edited by Taichunger

Members
1,899 posts
4,483 battles
13 hours ago, Dr_Venture said:

Buy it.
I rarely play WoWs now but when I do then MK is one of my favourites.

Edited by JervisBay