You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
S842

Question on sharing primium Commander with other ships

14 comments in this topic

Members
171 posts
15,276 battles

Can a premium Commander be shared with ALL other ships without re-training - so long as it is with the same type ships?  I ask because I bought the Indianapolis as a Commander trainer for my non-premium American cruisers.  Once I had a crew trained, I bought the Baltimore without a Commander, moved my Indianapolis Commander to the Baltimore and there was no "re-training" cost.  But when I bought the Des Moines a couple days ago and wanted to move the Commander from the Baltimore to the Des Moines there was a re-training cost (this is the Commander that I had trained on the Indianapolis). 

So it seems that you can move a premium Commander to a non-premium ship only once with no re-training.  After that you incur a re-training cost.  Is this correct?

Anyway, I am currently using the Indianapolis to train ANOTHER Commander to put in the Baltimore (since I can not put the Commander from the Des Moines back in the Baltimore once he was re-trained for the De Moines). 

[ARMDA]
Members
8,993 posts
3,464 battles

There are no premium commanders to start off.

If you take a Commander from a non prem ship, and place him into a prem ship, no retraining. You can do this as much as you want, and no retraining if you switch the captain from the prem ship to non prem ship.

However, if you move a commander from a regular ship to another regular ship, retraining. A commander in retraining stays in retraining when you move him to the prem ship.

Members
1,547 posts
9,817 battles

I made the same mistake when I started playing this game. I assumed the prem commander can be put on another ship. If you do that you will have to retrain him and retrain him again to put him back.

Instead, take commanders from other ships of the same country and train them faster on the prem ships. There's no retraining penalty to move them to and back to the non prem ships.

Beta Testers
1,013 posts
13,583 battles
31 minutes ago, S842 said:

Can a premium Commander be shared with ALL other ships without re-training - so long as it is with the same type ships?  I ask because I bought the Indianapolis as a Commander trainer for my non-premium American cruisers.  Once I had a crew trained, I bought the Baltimore without a Commander, moved my Indianapolis Commander to the Baltimore and there was no "re-training" cost.  But when I bought the Des Moines a couple days ago and wanted to move the Commander from the Baltimore to the Des Moines there was a re-training cost (this is the Commander that I had trained on the Indianapolis). 

So it seems that you can move a premium Commander to a non-premium ship only once with no re-training.  After that you incur a re-training cost.  Is this correct?

Anyway, I am currently using the Indianapolis to train ANOTHER Commander to put in the Baltimore (since I can not put the Commander from the Des Moines back in the Baltimore once he was re-trained for the De Moines). 

You may move any commander "into" a premium ship and then back to the ship he was trained in with no penalty, but not the other way round.

[YORHA]
Members
3,253 posts
25 minutes ago, nina_blain_73 said:

you should have moved the commander back to the Indy then from the Indy to Des Moines

I don't think that will work.  

[RIPQP]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Supertester
725 posts
7,647 battles
1 hour ago, Unabletony said:

There are no premium commanders to start off

The two HSF captains are effectively premium captains, as they can be moved within their respective nations for no retraining cost 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

Thing is... certain premiums at certain tiers do not lend themselves to being a training ship. Take the Tirpitz for example - You dont want to go to battle with a three point commander. My way of thinking, the premiums as trainers is a weak argument. They are better for earning coins, keeping you out of the debt hole.

Where they are good for training is when you want to move a high point commander from one ship to another. Move them to the new ship from the old ship. They now require retraining. Move them to your premium. Their skills are all available in the premium. Once retraining is complete, move them back to their new ship. TaDaa. 

Members
9,864 posts

2 hours ago, S842 said:

10k battles? 

Is this really a serious question? :Smile_amazed:

[DRACS]
Members
3,350 posts

A single commander can be trained on ONE (1) tech tree ship, and can used on that ship plus any premium ship you have of that specific nation, even different ship types.

Members
17,786 posts
5,084 battles
3 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Where they are good for training is when you want to move a high point commander from one ship to another. Move them to the new ship from the old ship. They now require retraining. Move them to your premium. Their skills are all available in the premium. Once retraining is complete, move them back to their new ship. TaDaa. 

That's what I do. With less than 10 points, (T5-6 usually) if I don't have a premium, I'll just retrain them for credits in the new ship, and deal with the penalty.

But after that, I spend doubloons. And basically, when I get a new ship in a line that has keepers, I move ALL the captains up a ship. So the German lines were going to be expensive. But then, along comes the Free Spee! Saved me a lot of dubs.

It's also a good retrainer, because it fits reasonably well with commanders from any ship type.

Now if only I didn't have to rely on the Katori for my IJN captains....

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,257 posts
24,787 battles
34 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

A single commander can be trained on ONE (1) tech tree ship, and can used on that ship plus any premium ship you have of that specific nation, even different ship types.

This is the short and accurate answer.