You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TATWLikorica

Something of about the Mikasa

10 comments in this topic

[WOLF4]
Members
8 posts
1,949 battles

Being one who can read hiragana (one of the three Japanese writing systems), I cannot help but noticed the name card which as you can see says: "さかみ", which I can tell you actually says "Sakami." If it were accurate, one can guess that it would say "みかさ."

I posted about this issue here because I wasn't sure where to put issues like this.

Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 9.41.20 AM.png

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts
12 minutes ago, Unabletony said:

Hiragana is read backwards, right to left.

Sort of, but not entirely accurate.

Back during WW2 and before that, Japanese writing was done from the top down and right to left. Words were read top down, however, since there is only room on a ship to write one character per column, the result is a word that's read right to left. You still sometimes see this writing in novels and some manga, but Japan has largely adopted left to right, top to bottom these says. 

This led to a lot of confusion for people not fully versed in Japanese, and several Japanese ships having their names recorded incorrectly in early English documents. This is actually joked about in Kantai Collection with Shimakaze being nicknamed Zekamashi by Kongou (who was born in England so is prone to English mistakes). 

• Cool 2

Members
1,547 posts
9,796 battles

This explains why my Makisa main guns are so awful. Until they fix this name plate issue I refuse to play it anymore.

Edited by STINKWEED_

[WOLF1]
Members
2,632 posts
8,192 battles
29 minutes ago, TTK_Aegis said:

This led to a lot of confusion for people not fully versed in Japanese, and several Japanese ships having their names recorded incorrectly in early English documents. This is actually joked about in Kantai Collection with Shimakaze being nicknamed Zekamashi by Kongou (who was born in England so is prone to English mistakes). 

I thought that was because of Rensouhou-chan's life preserver spelling Shimakaze in the old right to left style whereas the game players would try to read it left to right at first, and Kongou merely canonized the fan nickname in the anime.

...either way, Mikasa's fine. You see the same right to left reading order in historical photos of WWII destroyers, like Ayanami here:

Ayanami_II.jpg

Read in the modern way, it would be "Minayaa", which is obviously wrong.

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts
25 minutes ago, Matthewl419 said:

Hm, interesting. That would be nice if they fixed it, then.

There's nothing to fix. That's how it was (and is) on the actual ship. 

[ARMDA]
Members
8,993 posts
3,453 battles
2 hours ago, TTK_Aegis said:

Back during WW2 and before that, Japanese writing was done from the top down and right to left. Words were read top down, however, since there is only room on a ship to write one character per column, the result is a word that's read right to left. You still sometimes see this writing in novels and some manga, but Japan has largely adopted left to right, top to bottom these says. 

I see. Thanks!

[ARMDG]
Members
2,067 posts
2,523 battles
2 hours ago, TTK_Aegis said:

^Spot on right here.

The concept of them writing it right-to-left horizontally at the time is similar to if we English-speakers had to write something vertically due to space limitations.        

It's be like if we wrote:

E

S

S

E

X

on the USS Essex for some reason.

The Japanese still sometimes use right-to-left column-based writing (which I had to learn to read while learning the language myself), but the left-to-right row-based system we are used to has become much more prominent.

[DNGR]
Members
491 posts
11,755 battles
On 9/19/2017 at 10:49 AM, TTK_Aegis said:

There's nothing to fix. That's how it was (and is) on the actual ship. 

Well, then. This is why I should pay attention to things.