You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
kingofthepanzers98

Looking for help before I completely lose it

13 comments in this topic

[PS1HQ]
Members
71 posts
5,911 battles

Does anyone have any kind of tip for playing the floating garbage heap that calls itself the gaede?

I've had it for about a month now and it's the only ship that I've come close to tearing my hair out while playing it. It just seems to suffer at anything it does, The guns are meh, harder hitting than most other DDs for that teir but are restricted by their garbage rate of fire and short range. The torpedoes are pretty good but still suffer because the gaede does NOT handle right for a torpedo boat, namely sue to it's rather high detection range and crap turning. Which also helps contribute to it being the destroyer I have killed by Torps the most in, it's smoke is some of the shortest lasting in the game totaling out at 1:00 minute. And it's unique "hydro" I think has the shortest range of anything I've ever played with hydro before making it basically useless at everything but the absolute shortest of ranges. And the AA is of course underwhelming, but it's a destroyer so you weren't going to be any awards for AA anyways. Also it's durability is trash in every form of the word, I know it's a DD and it's not suppose to be tanking shots but, for the love of god could this things engine explode more often?!? every single hit is either a fire or engine knockout

I have tried using the hydro and smoke together in order to stealth fire but hydro is short ranged that it doesn't work for anything beyond 3 km and of course smoke doesn't last very long either so yea that's out the window. 

I tried using it as a torpedo boat but I can't seem to get a spread off without being spotted and of course then the targets are usually smart enough to change course and the whole drop misses. 

I tried using it for DD hunting but it'll lose in a gunfight to any other teir 6 except the Japanese, but thanks to its crap turning it's like trying to beat a muscle car with a cement truck in a street race.

and yes I know about the chance to citadel cruisers with the AP, but so far it's been inconsistent, the last game I played with it I was getting over pens on the waterline of a CLEVELAND!

I know there is potential somewhere in this thing because I have done incredibly well with it before (picture attached) but the standard game with it just straight up sucks. Sorry for ranting for so long but I'm getting close to selling this stupid thing and just giving up on the German DD line entirely.shot-17_09.16_02_04.54-0543.thumb.jpg.afc988dca0786f210527252e2d593eaa.jpg

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,311 posts
11,857 battles

@kingofthepanzers98 Played 11 battles with a 73% wr before I moved on. Go figure. Sometimes, I find the grind seems longer, than it really is. You just made me love that ship. +1 to ya. Use XP signals and Camo's to expedite your next ship.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[WOLF8]
Alpha Tester
1,029 posts
4,347 battles

I haven't made it that far up the German DD line yet, but when I am confronted with a problem ship that I just can't for the life of me make work I latch on to another ship on my team and spend my matches providing support for them. Find a Farragut to shadow and double up on the murder until you can grind your way to freedom. Hell, if you want add me in game and we can division. I have a Pensacola grind I'm in a love/hate relationship with that could use the company.

[PS1HQ]
Members
71 posts
5,911 battles
9 hours ago, KingCakeBaby said:

I haven't made it that far up the German DD line yet, but when I am confronted with a problem ship that I just can't for the life of me make work I latch on to another ship on my team and spend my matches providing support for them. Find a Farragut to shadow and double up on the murder until you can grind your way to freedom. Hell, if you want add me in game and we can division. I have a Pensacola grind I'm in a love/hate relationship with that could use the company.

Thanks for the suggestion, This works very well with gaede especially if you form a hunter/killer group with a good dpm cruiser (Cleveland,Nurnberg, etc.) and basically use the gaede like a bloodhound. Even though it's hydro is terribly short ranged it still does offer some advantages and since 90% of DDs will slam on the smoke the moment they get spotted in a cap, you can basically charge at them and hit the hydro right outside their smoke and watch them become a Deer in headlights as suddenly everyone on your team starts trying to turn that DD into scrap metal. 

I'll be more than happy to add you, I've got a Yorck myself and definitely need to grind that out as well.

[PS1HQ]
Members
71 posts
5,911 battles
10 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

@kingofthepanzers98 Played 11 battles with a 73% wr before I moved on. Go figure. Sometimes, I find the grind seems longer, than it really is. You just made me love that ship. +1 to ya. Use XP signals and Camo's to expedite your next ship.

well I'm glad I made someone happy with all this, and trust me I've already covered the gaede in every single XP flag I can find as well as a good camo. At this point I'm wondering why my captain isn't covered in bling as well, to properly match the ship.

grinds are definitely perspective though, as I fully enjoyed the Bismarck and loved every match I've played in it(it's difficult not to when you basically form a 11 km "no-no" zone on the map where ever you go).

[PS1HQ]
Members
71 posts
5,911 battles
5 hours ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

The gaede dd is godly fun.

Superb dd i will always keep in my port ready for battle.

much of the ship seems to be based on luck, as per the whole AP over penning a Cleveland thing. I tend to have terrible luck a lot of the time so maybe that's just it(or I'm just trash with DDs).

Members
1,503 posts
7,919 battles

Hey

I'm not the worlds best DD player but have found Gaede to be fun as long as you have support; it's not one that does well on a one versus one engagement (LOL, maybe it's me and my playstyle)  however, I have had good fun using her as a ambush DD with torps, and then reverting to gun for the extracting myself pot shots.  I seem to find myself alone thanks to teams that don't cover me when trying to cap and then I get deleted, very frustrating.   But Gaede is fun but hard to dictate or change an engagement by itself, at least for me.  I have MAASS but haven't played it yet.

Pete

[PS1HQ]
Members
71 posts
5,911 battles
3 hours ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

I'm not the worlds best DD player but have found Gaede to be fun as long as you have support; it's not one that does well on a one versus one engagement (LOL, maybe it's me and my playstyle)  however, I have had good fun using her as a ambush DD with torps, and then reverting to gun for the extracting myself pot shots.  I seem to find myself alone thanks to teams that don't cover me when trying to cap and then I get deleted, very frustrating.   But Gaede is fun but hard to dictate or change an engagement by itself, at least for me.  I have MAASS but haven't played it yet.

Pete

Yea I'm not the best DD player either, which is why I tend to stick to BBs and Cruisers, but I wanted to go up the German DD line cause I heard the Z-52 is actually pretty good. And I've started to have fun with the gaede now that I stick with the team more

Members
1,503 posts
7,919 battles

Hey

Had the first battle in the MAASS and it wasn't saying much 2 caps, and 20+ something in main battery hits, very low damage and a loss.  One point was a Fiji that missed my torps spread, and when I repeatedly shot him at like 2km range with AP while he was fully broadside, I did so little damage there was no hope of killing him and I was deleted.  I guess HE would have been better, but I was less than pleased with the ship.  I also find I really prefer EM to get the turrets moving better.  The turning radius sucks too.

Pete

[BMBF]
Members
208 posts
14,340 battles

first, it seems you are figuring out the playstyle in bits and pieces. good. 

second. whats your build? i went for the DD Hunter build. Main Armaments 1,  Aiming Systems,  Propulsion Mod 1 (engine), Steering Gears 2. captain skills.  Preventative Maint (i chose this over PT), Last Stand, Survival Expert, and finally Concealment (if ya got the points).

third. Gun choice. for DD fights i prefer the 128mm. higher rate of fire and the HE dmg per pen isnt much different. if ya want to be really sneaky use the stock Rangefinder to limit detection while firing. 

tactics.

Wolf Pack. whenever  possible follow a frienldy stealthy DD. hang back 1 t 2 km so he spots the enemy first and you stay undetected. this kind of backup gives even a Mutsuki Balls of Steel as you open up on the Mahan with total surprise. they usually panic and smoke up. check fire, request backup, engage Hydro, and charge that smoke. try to gank their smoke by slipping into their first puff. at this point everyone is shooting him and he has no idea where u are till u decide to open fire. 

once all local DDs are dead its much easier to setup torp runs.

theres more but i gotta stop. message me in game if your interested

Beta Testers
1,172 posts
5,925 battles

Gaede is a rough time. It took me a few games to realize that the guns were IJN tier mostly, only use them if you're smoked up or as a last resort. You just don't have the agility or firepower to fight proper gun ships and you struggle to dodge torpedoes and fire from enemy backup ships. Not to mention the AP power doesn't really kick in against destroyers at this tier due to non KM DDs being so slim and poorly armored. The guns are solid if you get the chance to smoke fire against cruisers and  battleships however, both the 128s and 150s. 

Play it very carefully and defensively. It's a solid torpedo focused ship but its sluggishness and propensity to eat big AP pens can and will get you killed if you overextend.