You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Jakajan

Carrier warm ups, wish fighter straffe didn't exist.

6 comments in this topic

[NNC]
Members
1,133 posts
13,330 battles

I used to like playing aircraft carriers, back when I could warm up with Hosho, do a few straffe runs on fighters, some random manual drops, then I was ready for Shokaku or Taiho. These dats I feel unprepared when I start a CV battle and totally out of my element. Usually I get straffed and lose control of the sky resulting in low damage, complaining team mates and a not so fun time.

I could try warming up with Saipan or Kaga but they behave too differently than the tech tree CV and would not be good practice.

I suppose I could run co ops or maybe Ryujo but those feel off.

Honestly I wish straffing was not a thing but we still had manual drops at all tiers. What do you all think?

[KENT]
Members
480 posts
3,023 battles

Strafing allows a Japanese CV to outplay an American CV (unless they are Saipan, because lol xd belens).  While I do not play high tier CVs myself, I have friends who do and they like it once they get past the learning curve.  I do think manual drops should be available at low tiers tho.  Would be interesting.

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

I think they need to swap the role of strafe and dogfighting. Make dog fighting take more ammo, but shoot down planes quicker. Strafe takes less ammo, is far less likely to shoot down a plane than dog fighting, and panics all squadrons in the path for 5-7 seconds. So strafe still functions as fleet defense, but I'm not going to down 18 planes with 1 squadron in 3 seconds.

Edited by cometguy
  • Cool 1

[-VT3-]
Members
1,606 posts
3,346 battles
38 minutes ago, Slntreaper said:

Strafing allows a Japanese CV to outplay an American CV (unless they are Saipan, because lol xd belens).  While I do not play high tier CVs myself, I have friends who do and they like it once they get past the learning curve.  I do think manual drops should be available at low tiers tho.  Would be interesting.

I don't have any problem with manual drops being returned to lower tiers.  However, I do think that the ships they're targeting should have some way of disrupting those drops.  Mainly, the problem is that tier 4 and 5 cruisers don't have access to defensive anti-aircraft fire, (outside of Yubari) Omaha and Konigsberg at least get catapult fighters, but these are exceptions to the rule.

Skilled strikes should be rewarded.  However, skilled counterplay should also be rewarded.  That was the problem with the tier 4/5 CVs in the past; if someone wanted to club you in one, you couldn't scatter them, you couldn't effectively shoot them down, and you'd be hard-pressed to out-maneuver them.

Members
13 posts
528 battles

I think strafes should be used to attack ships no planes, dealing minimal damage but knocking out large numbers of anti aircraft defenses, so you can use fighters superior health to soak anti aircraft fire from hard targets in order to soften them up for bombers. 

This way we can make it so all ships can repel bomber runs at the start of the game, but the carrier can pick a target to soften up and prepare them for attacks, so if you are the carriers prime target you will know about the attack by the savage assault of fighters before the torpedoes arrive, letting you actually take steps to save yourself rather than the planes be-lining straight at you and one shotting you as soon as they are visible.

It would also remove the ability of the carrier to fight on all front at full strength at all times, forcing them to dedicate their focus more on a specific part of the fleet. Though they could still rambo in their bombers, just with much higher casualties limiting their long term reach.

• Cool 1

[SXXKT]
Members
49 posts
3,699 battles
14 hours ago, MisguidedWorm7 said:

I think strafes should be used to attack ships no planes, dealing minimal damage but knocking out large numbers of anti aircraft defenses, so you can use fighters superior health to soak anti aircraft fire from hard targets in order to soften them up for bombers. 

This way we can make it so all ships can repel bomber runs at the start of the game, but the carrier can pick a target to soften up and prepare them for attacks, so if you are the carriers prime target you will know about the attack by the savage assault of fighters before the torpedoes arrive, letting you actually take steps to save yourself rather than the planes be-lining straight at you and one shotting you as soon as they are visible.

It would also remove the ability of the carrier to fight on all front at full strength at all times, forcing them to dedicate their focus more on a specific part of the fleet. Though they could still rambo in their bombers, just with much higher casualties limiting their long term reach.

My thoughts run very similar to this.  The strafe mechanic has no real world basis other than the rocket attacks German fighters did on B17 formations.  Squadrons that were aware tgey were being attacked never sat like ducks to be shot en masse, they took evasive action and in tge case of fighters it became a dog fight.  On top of it all the strafe mechanics don't seem to execute uniformly, where one player gets the repeated stop, circle, strafe while the other gets immediate results.

Strafing should be fighter's ability to attack ships and I believe this poster is on target that the damage would be more on the crew than the ships, reducing the AS, torpedo and secondary weapons (expose emplacements).

Ship damage would be somewhat dependant on the ship.  Fighters were able to do decent damage and even sink destroyers with .50cal and 20mm cannon fire.  A cruiser wouldn't likely succumb to those weapons, but it would hamper h eliminate some AA crews, start fires etc.  Similarly a BB would have exposed AS guns affected, fires might be started.

This would also serve to better balance the AS loadout as it's always paltry for damage (especially USN).  The attack on the ship should be considered to use the fighter's ammo, with higher ammo mods & skills yielding more effect.  This means that AS could do more to help the team, and in doing so also take some pressure off a strike opponent when fighters aren't all camping attack planes.