Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Garageguy

^&$#@# the Colorado

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

13 posts in this topic

I've been playing for a bit now, and while i know i'm not the best BB captain I can't understand how utterly unprepared i was for the level of suck i've experienced in the Colorado.  It's armor is mediocre at best.  it's reallllllllly hard to get Citadels, and it is absolutely no fun to drive.

I expect the small minded to look up my stats and verbalize how bad a captain i am in their opinion.  If that's your goal please refrain from posting.  I just want to know if it's even worth it to continue to the next tier.  I don't want to waste my time.  

Which hull are you using on Colorado? Almost sounds like you have the stock hull.

USN BBs after that are very accurate, at least that's how it feels being on the other end of them.

I hated the CO. Not cause its bad, in fact it is quite capable. But it's slow and just not my style.  The NC is completely different than the previous BB in the line, faster and able to better position itself. (though I think the armor is worse than the COs)

As you have less than 700 battles and already climbed to t7, it kinda seems you have rushed up the tech tree. Maybe missed some important lessons needed to play at higher tiers. 

I can spare some Advice.

The Colorado's armour is good when your angling it. Don't attempt to give a broadside. You'll take a lot of 3-6k hits, however, you almost never take the big 10,000+ hits because of the turtle back Armour. 

Yes it's slow, we know this, plan out your strategy beforehand, and have a backup plan ready. If you choose a flank your most likely going to stay there, don't put yourself in situations where it's used against you. 

Get close. The Colorado's guns are it's biggest advantage. You cannot stay farther than 12km or the guns will misss. Get close, and i mean 10km or closers and let the guns rip. You will tear apart cruisers, and there are barely any BB's able to stop the advance of US 16in shells. 

One more piece, always ALWAYS travel with cruisers. Never, absolutely never travel alone. Enemy CA's and DD's will pick you off so easily, as will the enemy carrier. 

I know it's a tough grind. I only got rid of mine a month ago, however, the North Carolina, and Iowa are worth it. They are absolutely great ships. 

5 minutes ago, Slenderdude1 said:

The Colorado's armour is good when your angling it. Don't attempt to give a broadside. You'll take a lot of 3-6k hits, however, you almost never take the big 10,000+ hits because of the turtle back Armour. 

Yes it's slow, we know this, plan out your strategy beforehand, and have a backup plan ready. If you choose a flank your most likely going to stay there, don't put yourself in situations where it's used against you. 

Get close. The Colorado's guns are it's biggest advantage. You cannot stay farther than 12km or the guns will misss. Get close, and i mean 10km or closers and let the guns rip. You will tear apart cruisers, and there are barely any BB's able to stop the advance of US 16in shells. 

I second all these things. I really liked the Colorado. Once you're comfortable in it, the only real issue is the speed, and even then it's not that bad, since it's rare that you'll get onto some of the really, really big maps.

thank you all for the responses.  

The My colorado is fully upgraded.

I do angle my armor (i don't believe the armor is that good because i DO get hit alot for 5-7K )

I love the idea of running with cruisers.  they all leave me to die in the back of the pack.

any time i've been sucessfull in the Colorado it's been in spite of the ship not because of it.

Colorado is capable but she just can't really perform that well compared to Gneis or the other T7s. She is fun in T6 battles but in T8 or 9 she is absolutely abysmal.

Armor is, well, meh; 25 mm is enough to stop 6 inch HE from some ships but otherwise it is not enough when going up against high caliber guns. Angle and you'll take less damage, however 16 inch and above can still citadel you from the front. Her health is just ridiculous though. 50K at T7? An Iowa/Missouri can delete you in one salvo, and so can a few T9 torps. 

Guns are quite good but there are only 8 and dispersion is terrible. Don't expect to hit much at max range. They do excel in 12 km and below though, and secondaries are nice too(shame we can't use them in Operations).

Maneuverability wise, she turns fast(although not as fast as earlier tier USN BBs). 20 kts is slow but if you are not used to that there is a problem. Just make sure to stay with the team or you will die fast.

Her AA is great, you can shoot down a few T9 planes if you are lucky enough. Make sure to get BFT.

That's just my two cents on the CO. Have fun

1 hour ago, Garageguy said:

I do angle my armor (i don't believe the armor is that good because i DO get hit alot for 5-7K )

I love the idea of running with cruisers.  they all leave me to die in the back of the pack.

any time i've been sucessfull in the Colorado it's been in spite of the ship not because of it.

By the time I had the CO I had Concealment Expert, so that helped...

Keep up with your fleet as long as possible, and stay central so you stay near targets. Hard cover is your friend, play her sneaky.

Get your concealment in range so you can drop off between shots.

The second you see a faster BB you angle and kite away. Your guns are amazing if used well and I killed many a Gneisenau that tried to rush me. If you can't kite, then be a thorn in their side, literally. The CO turns pretty well being the stubby thing it is and surprised me with quite a few successful brawls simply because I could out turn my opponent.

11 hours ago, Garageguy said:

Are you trying to cross the map or are you playing the area to start in? I ask because I see people regularly trying to cross from 1 side of a map to the other, by the time you get there the battle is over for better or for worse. I always play my side that is closest with pretty good success

The guns take getting used to but one you get used to then they are very good, I suggest trying co-op for a bit to find this sweet spot

I found the Colorado to be a flexible build, AA spec is hilarious with a max rating of 87, secondary build is fun because while the guns don't cause allot of damage they do start allot of fires, and finally guns have a pretty good range with the Plotting Room mod and a somewhat accurate still

12 hours ago, Garageguy said:

I've been playing for a bit now, and while i know i'm not the best BB captain I can't understand how utterly unprepared i was for the level of suck i've experienced in the Colorado.  It's armor is mediocre at best.  it's reallllllllly hard to get Citadels, and it is absolutely no fun to drive.

I expect the small minded to look up my stats and verbalize how bad a captain i am in their opinion.  If that's your goal please refrain from posting.  I just want to know if it's even worth it to continue to the next tier.  I don't want to waste my time.  

The Colorado is a very good BB. One of my favorites. I am not sure why you are having so much trouble with the guns OP? They are fantastic even out to range (I did not use APRM1 as I went AA spec so max regular range @ 18.8km - gets iffy when you use spotter). Probably the most accurate standard tech tree BB up to and through T7 I played with maybe Konig pre-nerf exceeding it. Just crushes stuff and plenty of citadels for me in it. The guns are what makes it viable IMO. It also has very good AA when spec'd for it and with a Capt that has BFT/AFT. I seem to remember that it took me a while to adjust to it's required lead with the guns when I 1st started playing it ( same goes for NC and Iowa to come ). Just keep working at it because the guns are amazing. Maybe RNG is just messing with you?

I agree with you 100% though about the weak armor. It takes big blows very easy and even when angled. Super easy to citadel through bow. It's pathetically low T5 level HP's don't help it either. It supposedly has a super heal but I don't see it plus that doesn't heal much citadel damage which you take a lot of. All you can do is try your best to angle and protect the soft sides and hope you don't take a crippling citadel through your bow. If the stars align just perfectly you can bounce shot but usually you still take a pretty good blow even angled. Showing your broadside to another BB or even high tier CA with strong AP is a risky move. Avoid if possible.

It is also slow as cold molasses running uphill in February as a T7. That really hurts it. Takes a long time to engage the enemy and even longer to disengage if needed (if you even can). Try and stay central on the map to start and move to a flank when needed. Forget all this talk of stay with your CL/CA's. You are too slow and most will just leave you behind. What you should be told is to do your best to try and stay in the general area of other ships on your team and not to run off alone.

The Colorado is a good ship once you figure it out. I went into it thinking this ship will suck based on all the forum hate but actually found it pretty darn good. You just have to deal with the slow speed (used to it in US BB by then though) and the armor and HP are lacking BIG TIME so you compensate as best you can. The guns are excellent as is the AA though and it is fairly maneuverable so it is easy to dodge torps and such. So good and bad.

I really am baffled by your issues with the guns though? For me they are just awesome. To be fair though I have people tell me all the time how great Nagato's guns are and they suck for me. Can't hit a thing and when I do hit I usually get bupkiss for damage. You might be experiencing the same issues with RNG in Colorado?

Hang in there as the T8 NC is a HUGE step up (still has squishy armor but not as bad) with good speed, decent maneuverability, amazing AA, and the guns are beasts (takes a long time to get used to the lead though as they float/hang like Cleveland). I really love that BB. Iowa is a NC on roids with better armor, speed, AA, and guns ( also takes a while on the lead) but with poor maneuverability. Both those BB's are great and something for you to look forward to as you grind Colorado out.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

On 9/18/2017 at 8:06 PM, Kapitan_Wuff said:

As you have less than 700 battles and already climbed to t7, it kinda seems you have rushed up the tech tree. Maybe missed some important lessons needed to play at higher tiers. 

I agree with Kapitan_Wuff on this, I know for sure this is one of the worst things you can do, and the reason is I did it myself.

Edited by Chaos_EN2

Just had a game tonight to remind me why I love the Colorado so much, had a enemy Hiryu try to focus me, between his 2 TB squads and 2 DB squads, not a single torpedo made it to the water and his DB payed dearly for the 2 hits. He tried again late in the game after I got hit by a bunch of HE and still not a single torpedo hit the water although he didn't pay as hard of a price with his DB as the first time. Still manage 100k damage while farming 10-15k damage salvos off of a Scharnhorst, Nagato and Arizona (the latter tried bow tanking me and I punched him through the nose for a citadel and a kill)

Anyways heres a guide I made a while back for How To Properly Colorado, I had about as many battles as you when I first got the Colorado also, I hated her at first but later on I checked my stats and she was my best ship and I started to enjoy her after that. I also went back and started to work a couple other lines to learn more and I'm glad I did because it made me better at the game

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0