Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

The BB camp Meta

31 comments in this topic

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,769 posts
12,872 battles

I don't camp.  I like to push.  So I'm running Yamato..and I'm pushing.  What do I get in chat...."GET BACK".  I look around...and everyone...including the DDs and CAs are sitting on a camp line.  I'm like...wth?  So I start the slow cumbersome retreat from push...only to get surprised by TWO (not one...but TWO) enemy DDs who have not only managed to cap the center cap...but have the leisure time to meander over to the cap I was headed toward and begin to cap that one too.  Again wth team?  I got toasted, but not before taking one DD down and hurting the other one.  We lost...with our team stretched out along a camp line while red simply marched in and capped all three caps.

Frustrated at this lack of push, I gen up my Montana.  Spawn with a DD and CA in front of "A" cap.  I let them know I'm fed up with the camp meta and I'm headed for A.  They seem pleased...we roll that cap, flank the enemy...and win pretty easily.

Yeah..yeah...I know every game isn't a push in a T10 BB.  But C'mon...telling a Yamato to get back 2 minutes in....something ain't right.

[VOC]
Beta Testers
1,124 posts
5,877 battles

I have seen battles where allmost every ship hugging an island and having one big party and got screwed by the torpedosoup from 2 sides... So it's not only BB players :) 

Beta Testers
1,157 posts
7,841 battles

I'm the same way with tier 10 BB's.  If the DD's and cruisers will push forward and prevent me from getting blasted at close range by a stealthy DD, I will absolutely push and help.  Drives me crazy when everyone sits back and allows all caps to be taken by the enemy.

[POP]
Members
1,224 posts
8,007 battles

I'm the same way in ANY BB... generally to my detriment. Someone sees an enemy ship and the entire flank of cruisers and DDs turns around and hauls butt away. Then the carrier planes run away leaving me high and dry. 

On the other hand, this weekend I capped the red base when they were all clustered like that. I fired 9 torps and got 6 hits on 3 different ships. That's pretty fun. 

[AK]
Beta Testers
331 posts
9,024 battles

I feel you. the hide in back in bad, even worse is when it is called to a/b or b/c and as you steam for b and look at the mini map and 11 ships clustered behind the Islands behind A(or C).

Edited by Seloth

[PT8TO]
Members
1,402 posts
12,810 battles

I almost capped out the enemy team on tears of the desert in my Kurfurst with some help from 2 cruisers.

The enemy team was so caught up in trying to push to our flag they did not notice we came around from the south.

When they realized their flag was being capped they tried to come back.

But when they got there a realized it was a full hp Kurfurst with 2 cruisers they put on the brakes real quick like lol.

Oh yeah we won by the way

Edited by GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,161 battles
47 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

I don't camp.  I like to push.  So I'm running Yamato..and I'm pushing.  What do I get in chat...."GET BACK".  I look around...and everyone...including the DDs and CAs are sitting on a camp line.  I'm like...wth?  So I start the slow cumbersome retreat from push...only to get surprised by TWO (not one...but TWO) enemy DDs who have not only managed to cap the center cap...but have the leisure time to meander over to the cap I was headed toward and begin to cap that one too.  Again wth team?  I got toasted, but not before taking one DD down and hurting the other one.  We lost...with our team stretched out along a camp line while red simply marched in and capped all three caps.

Frustrated at this lack of push, I gen up my Montana.  Spawn with a DD and CA in front of "A" cap.  I let them know I'm fed up with the camp meta and I'm headed for A.  They seem pleased...we roll that cap, flank the enemy...and win pretty easily.

Yeah..yeah...I know every game isn't a push in a T10 BB.  But C'mon...telling a Yamato to get back 2 minutes in....something ain't right.

I want to put in my whiner gif...but no this is a very legitimate post about a real problem. I'm a BB main and i don't camp i fight on the frontlines (even in ships i really shouldn't do it in like my beloved Fuso and Kongo). Well said my dear OP. A true statement that should be followed, as long as people camp games will become stale and boring.

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

I tend to push caps a lot in my battleships. Unfortunately not all of them are able to fight close quarters. Amagi case in point.

[-TAB-]
Members
1,597 posts
5,126 battles
11 minutes ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

I want to put in my whiner gif...but no this is a very legitimate post about a real problem. I'm a BB main and i don't camp i fight on the frontlines (even in ships i really shouldn't do it in like my beloved Fuso and Kongo). Well said my dear OP. A true statement that should be followed, as long as people camp games will become stale and boring.

it seems so simple. even in a new, stock izumo if you push and or/fight the frontlines, even if only one other BB goes with you, it's going to be a brawl at worst, and the green team should be able to get into position and do some serious damage.

what's been happening lately is you end up doing this solo, and fighting vs 4+ reds happy to focus fire unmolested.

what does the rest of the team do during your tank efforts, while drawing the fire of 6+ ships? uses the break to escape to the rear, select an island to hide behind, and battlechat abuse starts.

we were in a battle 3 weeks ago in which this exact thing happened to me (BB, don't recall which), you lasted longer on the other flank, the team lost big time fast.

Edited by not_acceptable

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,161 battles
Just now, not_acceptable said:

it seems so simple. even in a new, stock izumo if you push and or/fight the frontlines, even if only one other BB goes with you, it's going to be a brawl at worst, and the green team should be able to get into position and do some serious damage.

what's been happening lately is you end up doing this solo, and fighting vs 4+ reds happy to focus fire unmolested.

what does the rest of the team do during your tank efforts, while drawing the fire of 6+ ships? uses the break to escape to the rear, select an island to hide behind, and battlechat abuse starts.

we were in a battle 3 weeks ago in which this exact thing happened to me, you lasted longer, the team lost big time fast.

Wait you were in that battle? That was my 2nd ever Izumo game.

[-TAB-]
Members
1,597 posts
5,126 battles
Just now, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

Wait you were in that battle? That was my 2nd ever Izumo game.

if you had spawned on the same side, I would have pushed with you. I was the BB spawned far to the left, as I recall.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
930 posts
10,345 battles
1 hour ago, Soshi_Sone said:

A key to doing well in a high tier BB is reading the mini map and assessing when you need to push and when it is better to hunker down and delay while you let the rest of your team push. Some people call this camping, but I don't care what people call it as long as it win games. The timing of when and placing of where you should be pushing or delaying is tricky and is highly situational. Typically in a tier 10 game though, 2 minutes in is pretty early to invest heavily into a push on a cap w/ a BB unless you know the opposition at the cap you are pushing toward is lite to non-existent because you see everyone on the red team is on the other side of the map. Without seeing a replay I wouldn't know what the right call is. You also need to play based on what your team is doing. You can't make your team do what you want, but you can make plays to give your team the best odds of winning based on what they are doing. Capping B might be a good play but it'll be come a bad one if your team doesn't want to play ball and screen those shima torps for your Yamato. If your team is dumb and doesn't see an opening and support you as you push, don't be dumber and go in unsupported trading a Yamato for nothing. 

TL:DR Pushing and camping are both valid for a BB given the right circumstances. It's not a binary choice nor are they mutually exclusive in a given game or from one BB to the next. 

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,417 battles
1 hour ago, Spooooooooooooooooooooon said:

I'm the same way with tier 10 BB's.  If the DD's and cruisers will push forward and prevent me from getting blasted at close range by a stealthy DD, I will absolutely push and help.  Drives me crazy when everyone sits back and allows all caps to be taken by the enemy.

Problem is anytime I push in Des Moines every one on the enemy team just starts screaming:

giphy.gif

Almost the same happens with my Hindenburg. I mean I'm aggressive by nature. But only so many times I'm going to put my neck on the chopping block for little gain.

[HBK]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,329 posts
10,376 battles
1 hour ago, OgreMkV said:

I'm the same way in ANY BB... generally to my detriment. Someone sees an enemy ship and the entire flank of cruisers and DDs turns around and hauls butt away. Then the carrier planes run away leaving me high and dry. 

On the other hand, this weekend I capped the red base when they were all clustered like that. I fired 9 torps and got 6 hits on 3 different ships. That's pretty fun. 

lol, I bet the success of that torp spread put a smile on your face.  

I have that experience a lot as well, though I've generally given up on trying to fight tooth and nail to get something out of nothing.  It's a bit exhausting doing that in the majority of matches played.  

[TF16B]
Members
8,040 posts
16,978 battles
Just now, Lionel92 said:

I have seen battles where allmost every ship hugging an island and having one big party and got screwed by the torpedosoup from 2 sides... So it's not only BB players :) 

Like Shards... FIVE BBs and some cruisers and destroyers for good measure, all seemingly trying to crowd behind that middle island in the south part of the map...

[VOC]
Beta Testers
1,124 posts
5,877 battles
6 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Like Shards... FIVE BBs and some cruisers and destroyers for good measure, all seemingly trying to crowd behind that middle island in the south part of the map...

Yeah and seeing 3 enemy shima's shooting in total 45 torps, seeing 4 ships die and a lot damaged really bad... was a fun match

[RIPQP]
Members
3,705 posts
14,464 battles

I love it when my battleship teammates are good campers, many situations require this in order to win the game. Pushing under the wrong circumstances can lose you the match, same goes for camping. Read the match and act accordingly.

• Cool 2

[NG-NL]
Members
4,951 posts
8,094 battles

It's gotten so bad now that I flip on my caps lock if I charge a cap, announce my charge about 20-30 seconds in advance, and yell for everyone to push push push, we gonna flush them out, take the cap, charge with me.

And if they refuse, I turn and camp behind them.

It's irritating enough that I'm seriously considering attacking them for cowardice. Any T10 BB should be leading charge into cap, alongside support, and directing the focusfire on a particular enemy ship. It's very amazing how fast individual reds panic and melt under this tactic.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,769 posts
12,872 battles
33 minutes ago, IronWolfV said:

Problem is anytime I push in Des Moines every one on the enemy team just starts screaming:

I've determined that, once a Des Moines is spotted, all shells previously fired at other ships and still in flight will automatically alter their course and head toward the Des Moines.

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,417 battles
1 minute ago, Soshi_Sone said:

I've determined that, once a Des Moines is spotted, all shells previously fired at other ships and still in flight will automatically alter their course and head toward the Des Moines.

Hah! That's a good one.

[TF16B]
Members
8,040 posts
16,978 battles
Just now, Soshi_Sone said:

Just now, IronWolfV said:

Hah! That's a good one.

Sure seems that way to me sometimes...

[POP]
Members
299 posts
4,891 battles

Look, when I was mid tier I loved to push with my BBs and had fun brawling early even if maybe I got killed sooner rather than later. That being said, when 75% of T8 - T10 matches have 4+ DDs I'm personally going to move to the cap in a measured manner until a couple of them are spotted.

Almost anytime I've followed a charge into a cap at high tiers with a bunch of DDs you immediately are targeted my large torpedo spreads that are hard to dodge while also angling. It is just isn't worth it. 

As I typed above I do move toward the caps and don't just sit in base and snipe either.

• Cool 1

[SSBN]
Members
291 posts
4,911 battles

I always push in my Bayern (I'm a DD main) which is as high as I have gotten in any BB. I hate BBs because I usually don't get supported by anywhere. I don't mind tanking the damage and helping the team win. The last match I played in it we all agree "Cap A" I go park my fat butt right on the edge of the cap behind a low island I could shoot over, but would protect me from the inevitable underwater cancer from dds. My teammates melted in the face of a tiny bit of pressure while the other BBs barely left spawn and left me to get focused to death while they decided capping D was easier.

[GREPT]
[GREPT]
Beta Testers
6,739 posts
7,079 battles

Why would anyone push if you aren't properly rewarded for it? People camp because camping is actually rewarded, and not brutally, mercilessly punished, meanwhile pushing, unless you have your whole flank behind you, you WILL be brutally killed for even daring to break the line. 

Sign in to follow this