You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sinton

Next Ranked Battle Season

27 comments in this topic

[LOS]
Members
556 posts
7,576 battles

Since the gifts in the 2nd Anniversary bash are centered around obtaining 5 sets of T8 Camouflage, what are the chances that this is a gentle prod to herd us up to that level with ships of that tier.  This WG celebration might move a good segment of our population higher.  The result might be that by the next season is announced, with a Tier 8 focus, that there are a large segment of the WoWs community able to participate.  This new and recently progressed group would have better ships and (hopefully) better skills that were acquired leveling for those ships resplendent in 2nd Anniversary Camouflage.  Just thinkin'.

1d0471c0-9308-11e7-9f66-38eaa7374f3c.jpg

• Cool 1

[SF-A]
Members
2,848 posts
5,548 battles

Their announcement about smoke changes also referenced an IFHE Chapayev. I'd bet the next one is T8.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,334 posts
9,415 battles

I also noticed the Anniversary missions focused around ships most folks have either sold off after grinding through or were disappointed over.

The camo for the Kiev is fine...  since I haven't finished that one, and the camo will help.

New Orleans was a past tense ship I didn't quite click onto.  The Baltimore is infinitely better for my style.  Don't know if I'll buy it back...  Maybe I will for the camo.  Besides, I have a ton of ship slots.

[-K-]
Members
5,075 posts
8,942 battles

Considering it's been a few seasons since we had T8 Ranked, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the next one reverts back to that level of play (even without the so-called hints).

[RKLES]
Members
7,101 posts
8,757 battles

I though they might repeat tier 6 again since there was no Radar so by doing it tier 6 or lower you cut out the zillions of anti Radar Threads on Forum spawning from Ranked lol.

Tier 8 would be ok as well since I am getting several tier 8s added to my collection now.

Only real concern about tier 8 Ranked would be the matter of the Graf Zepplin at the moment and it's 1 hit and your dead Bombs.

[LOS]
Members
556 posts
7,576 battles
1 minute ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I though they might repeat tier 6 again since there was no Radar so by doing it tier 6 or lower you cut out the zillions of anti Radar Threads on Forum spawning from Ranked lol.

Tier 8 would be ok as well since I am getting several tier 8s added to my collection now.

Only real concern about tier 8 Ranked would be the matter of the Graf Zepplin at the moment and it's 1 hit and your dead Bombs.

Good point Admiral ,but isn't there enough time to fix that?  WG can easily put out some tier 5/6 crap premiums or resurrect old ones to keep those level of players happy and in between use Holiday events to keep us moving along to become a population with a higher T8-T10 segment

[INTEL]
Members
6,627 posts
25,304 battles

Interesting point. May be.

Back to World of Tirpitz as we used to have?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
1,505 posts
7,364 battles

Another thought would be the (supposed to be implemented soon) inaugural Clan Team Battles at T8...

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,334 posts
9,415 battles

Another possibility is that the SCENARIO -- HARD mode will be tier 8 only.

Imagine invading Newport facing FTG and Hakuryu instead of Hosho and Konig at port.  This would be Hard mode.

• Cool 1

[LOS]
Members
556 posts
7,576 battles

Also the countries involved in the 'Tier Up' camo give-away this second anniversary is the US, CCCP, France Germany and UK.  Why is IJN left out?  Maybe something maybe not....maybe me not wantin' to do laundry, I dunno :cap_cool:

Edited by Sinton

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
4,675 posts
15,167 battles

I don't care what tier it is.  I just hope the rumor of divisions in Ranked comes true!

• Cool 1

[LOS]
Members
556 posts
7,576 battles

Hmm  Divisions in ranked might be OP.  Power in hands of few.  Pikachu!

[LRM]
Members
2,539 posts
4,921 battles
3 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

(coughtier5cough) (because personal 'reasons,')

Screw tier 8 ranked.

I actually agree. Tier 8 cuts out too many people and there are ships with too many gimmicks.

[LOS]
Members
556 posts
7,576 battles

But there has been a tier 8 Ranked before hasn't there?  The key will be if they introduce a new premium Tier 8.  There is already a DD (Harekaze), CA (Atago), BB (Tirpy) along with a patched up and revamped CV (GZ). Plus the new  five Tier 8 boats from the 2nd anniversary Camo climb. This will allow us wallet warriors to play leaving behind a demographic that can be partially ignored as long as the Circus Maximus of freebies continues on some level...about every 45 days.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,334 posts
9,415 battles

Unfortunately, here in the NA economy, T6 is about the top non-premium-time economic level.

I'm pretty sure it's different elsewhere, but losing a tier 8 match, especially in Ranked here will set your credits into the negative.

So if you don't have a premium ship, or premium time on NA, gameplay is risky.  It takes a higher level of commitment (time/money) to make it to T8 here.

This is why I think we'll be staying at T6 for ranked.  Otherwise, we will be chopping off the larger part of the player base here.

Members
984 posts
5,690 battles
On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 10:57 AM, Sinton said:

Since the gifts in the 2nd Anniversary bash are centered around obtaining 5 sets of T8 Camouflage, what are the chances that this is a gentle prod to herd us up to that level with ships of that tier.  This WG celebration might move a good segment of our population higher.  The result might be that by the next season is announced, with a Tier 8 focus, that there are a large segment of the WoWs community able to participate.  This new and recently progressed group would have better ships and (hopefully) better skills that were acquired leveling for those ships resplendent in 2nd Anniversary Camouflage.  Just thinkin'.

I had been thinking this very thing. And further: on the past two weekends, we've had coupons/discount codes on T8 premiums purchased via the premium shop, and doubloon discounts on in-game T8 premium purchases.

aaaaannnnnd...30% silver discounts on the tech tree T8s this past weekend, as well.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,598 posts
14,017 battles

Historically, WG has mostly used Tier VI & VIII for Ranked.  The last one was Tier VI so guessing the next one will be VIII is a very safe bet.  Tier VIII is loaded with fantastic BBs, DDs, CVs.  The Cruisers are the weakest.

[LOS]
Members
556 posts
7,576 battles

Well how would Kutuzov, Atago, and newly Camo'd  New Orleans and Mr C. Martel affect the equation CA/CL wise?

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,598 posts
14,017 battles
On 9/19/2017 at 10:46 AM, Sinton said:

Well how would Kutuzov, Atago, and newly Camo'd  New Orleans and Mr C. Martel affect the equation CA/CL wise?

Kutuzov would be doing fine because she stands back, pops smoke, and spams 152mm shells.

Atago is tricky.  She's got stealth, lots of firepower.  But the nature of fighting in Ranked is shorter, and Atago has to be super careful or get multi-citadeled.  Still, she has Repair Party, something only she and Edinburgh have.  The rest of the Cruisers at Tier VIII are screwed.  Any damage they take, cannot be repaired.

NOLA has usefulness due to stealth and radar to break any smoke stalemates.  But she is absolutely vulnerable and is super prone to get 1-shotted.

Charles Martel will find out what it's like to be a French Cruiser in Ranked the same way LaGal and Degrasse did in Tier VI Ranked.  I.e. "suck."  The BBs of Tier VI made a mockery of Cruisers and the Tier VIII BBs are even worse.

Prinz Eugen / Hipper will suffer also.

Edinburgh will make a disappointing showing.  Leander did well in Tier VI Ranked because she acted at times as a DD.  This worked for Tier VI because a lot of DD concealment in that tier suck, and there was NO RADAR at that tier.  Tier VIII?  The DDs are super stealthy with excellent, long range torps, and there's Radar in the tier.  Edinburgh doesn't have heavy torpedo armament and she is stuck with RN CL AP that gets bounced by angled targets.  Her AA also sucks, she doesn't bring much to the table.

Tier VIII Ranked will be primarily dominated by BB & DD play.  The BBs at VIII are all excellent, very good choices, powerful.  The DDs?  The prior tiers of many DDs with sh-t 6.8km detection ranges are gone.  IJN DDs will still be stealthy but USN DDs finally get sub-6km detection ranges, as well as great long range torpedoes.  German DDs start coming into their own at VIII.  There is also Lo Yang with 5.8km detection range and long range Hydro.  Tier VIII Cruisers just did not scale well in progressive power.  This is why Tier VIII Ranked will be dominated by BBs and DDs.

The only thing that will upset the BB vs DD dynamics to rule Ranked?

CVs.  Shokaku, Enterprise, Lexington, Graf Zeppelin.  Some of those are very potent.  Expect Shokaku to make a strong appearance on a regular basis because she is a free tech tree CV that has long been a top performer.  On a less frequent basis because she's an expensive Tier VIII Premium, Enterprise will make a good showing.  The CVs in Ranked show up far less, but they tend to be the best performers in WR% in Ranked.  Hiryu ruled Tier VII, Ryujo ruled Tier VI.  Expect Shokaku to rule Tier VIII with Enterprise being d--n close.  Everyone else will be playing for 3rd place or worse scraps.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[LOS]
Members
556 posts
7,576 battles
8 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Kutuzov would be doing fine because she stands back, pops smoke, and spams 152mm shells.

Atago is tricky.  She's got stealth, lots of firepower.  But the nature of fighting in Ranked is shorter, and Atago has to be super careful or get multi-citadeled.  Still, she has Repair Party, something only she and Edinburgh have.  The rest of the Cruisers at Tier VIII are screwed.  Any damage they take, cannot be repaired.

NOLA has usefulness due to stealth and radar to break any smoke stalemates.  But she is absolutely vulnerable and is super prone to get 1-shotted.

Charles Martel will find out what it's like to be a French Cruiser in Ranked the same way LaGal and Degrasse did in Tier VI Ranked.  I.e. "suck."  The BBs of Tier VI made a mockery of Cruisers and the Tier VIII BBs are even worse.

Prinz Eugen / Hipper will suffer also.

Edinburgh will make a disappointing showing.  Leander did well in Tier VI Ranked because she acted at times as a DD.  This worked for Tier VI because a lot of DD concealment in that tier suck, and there was NO RADAR at that tier.  Tier VIII?  The DDs are super stealthy with excellent, long range torps, and there's Radar in the tier.  Edinburgh doesn't have heavy torpedo armament and she is stuck with RN CL AP that gets bounced by angled targets.  Her AA also sucks, she doesn't bring much to the table.

Tier VIII Ranked will be primarily dominated by BB & DD play.  The BBs at VIII are all excellent, very good choices, powerful.  The DDs?  The prior tiers of many DDs with sh-t 6.8km detection ranges are gone.  IJN DDs will still be stealthy but USN DDs finally get sub-6km detection ranges, as well as great long range torpedoes.  German DDs start coming into their own at VIII.  There is also Lo Yang with 5.8km detection range and long range Hydro.  Tier VIII Cruisers just did not scale well in progressive power.  This is why Tier VIII Ranked will be dominated by BBs and DDs.

The only thing that will upset the BB vs DD dynamics to rule Ranked?

CVs.  Shokaku, Enterprise, Lexington, Graf Zeppelin.  Some of those are very potent.  Expect Shokaku to make a strong appearance on a regular basis because she is a free tech tree CV that has long been a top performer.  On a less frequent basis because she's an expensive Tier VIII Premium, Enterprise will make a good showing.  The CVs in Ranked show up far less, but they tend to be the best performers in WR% in Ranked.  Hiryu ruled Tier VII, Ryujo ruled Tier VI.  Expect Shokaku to rule Tier VIII with Enterprise being d--n close.  Everyone else will be playing for 3rd place or worse scraps.

That's what I'm talkin about...oh and what about Kii?????