You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
USSRichardNixon

After smoke nerf?

39 comments in this topic

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,356 posts
3,559 battles
6 minutes ago, USSRichardNixon said:

After smoke nerf, the entire British CL line, Belfast and Kutuzov will be jokes?

How do you think?

Is this week the last time to have fun in Belfast?

It will make RN CL's / MK much more vulnerable to Destroyers. 

There is a gap between the Bloom range and the hydro range that a DD can sneak into and keep you spotted. That will be the biggest hurdle. 

Outside of that business as usual. 

[WUDPS]
4,724 posts
4,523 battles

No it'll just require more skill to use effectively. It is a hard correct for those dingbats hiding a Yammy or a Kurfurst in a DD smoke cloud with zero chance of reprisal (save for a wall of skill into the cloud.) 

• Cool 1

Members
17,785 posts
5,084 battles

No, just means you avoid using your smoke offensively if there's a ship that close.

Closest ship is 11km from you? Smoke up and bang away, you won't be seen.

What they won't be able to do anymore is get close and then voila! magically disappear, while hammering you with short range salvoes you can't effectively respond to.

Edited by Skpstr

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,161 battles
4 minutes ago, USSRichardNixon said:

After smoke nerf, the entire British CL line, Belfast and Kutuzov will be jokes?

How do you think?

The British CLs (Perth included) have the best concealment of all the equivalent tier cruiser with the exception of the Flint and Atlanta due to their DD guns. The ships most affected by the change are the BBs and Kutuzov and in the Kutuzovs case it can still do what it does now just needs to be more careful on positioning. Here is the Math on the subject all numbers are in Km.

Tier V: Emerald: 5.4 VS. Marblehead: 6.87 VS. Omaha: 6.87 VS. Krasni Krym: 6.62 VS. Murmansk: 6.58 VS. Kirov: 8.01 VS. Furutaka: 6.92 VS. Émile Bertin: 6.16 Königsberg: 5.99

Tier VI: Leander: 4.6 VS. Cleveland: 6.71 VS. Molotov: 7.12 VS. Budyonny: 6.58 VS. La Galissonnière: 6.72 VS. De Grasse: 6.72 VS. Nürnberg: 6.13 VS. Aoba: 6.79 VS. Duca d'Aosta: 5.77 VS. Graf Spee: 9.47

Tier VI: Perth: 4.5 VS. Cleveland: 6.71 VS. Molotov: 7.12 VS. Budyonny: 6.58 VS. La Galissonnière: 6.72 VS. De Grasse: 6.72 VS. Nürnberg: 6.13 VS. Aoba: 6.79 VS. Duca d'Aosta: 5.77 VS. Graf Spee: 9.47

Tier VII: Fiji: 5.4 Vs. Indianapolis: 7.26 VS. Pensacola: 7.32  VS. Flint: 4.6  VS. Atlanta: 4.6 VS. Shchors: 6.72 VS. Algérie: 8.18 VS. Yorck: 8.33 VS. Myōkō: 7.6 

Tier VII: Belfast: 5.28 Vs. Indianapolis: 7.26 VS. Pensacola: 7.32  VS. Flint: 4.6  VS. Atlanta: 4.6 VS. Shchors: 6.72 VS. Algérie: 8.18 VS. Yorck: 8.33 VS. Myōkō: 7.6 

Tier VIII: Edinburgh: 5.52 VS. New Orleans: 6.62 VS. Chapayev: 6.66 VS.Kutuzov: 7.72 VS. Charles Martel: 8.03 VS. Prinz Eugen: 9.13 VS.Hipper: 8.49 VS. Mogami: 6.79 
Atago: 6.66 

Tier IX: Neptune: 6.58 VS. Baltimore: 7.18 VS. DM. Donskoi: 9.69 VS. Saint-Louis: 9.13 VS. Roon: 8.65 VS. Ibuki: 7.18 

Tier X: Minotaur: 5.4 VS. Des Moines: 8.18  VS. Moskva: 12.66 VS. Henri IV: 11.54 VS. Hindenburg: 10.17 VS. Zaō: 7.18

• Cool 1

[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
10,667 posts
7,558 battles

No, most people dont drive right up to their opponents in the Belfast and then smoke, the normal strategy is to smoke before you are detected which means you will still be far enough away to fire from smoke. 

With the change you just have to be careful that someone does not sneak up on your smoke instead of just laughing hysterically while you flame people from smoke. 

Members
1,044 posts
8,288 battles
14 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

No it'll just require more skill to use effectively. It is a hard correct for those dingbats hiding a Yammy or a Kurfurst in a DD smoke cloud with zero chance of reprisal (save for a wall of skill into the cloud.) 

this "more skill" means Kutuzov just going to be a bit further away, that's all. With nearly 20km firing range and precise shots not even a big problem 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,674 posts
9,998 battles

I was considering re-buying Neptune but this change will definitely scupper that.

1. Smoke up at 11km
  2. Oh dear, there was a red DD out there
  3. Red DD motors up to 6.5km away (2km outside my hydro, probably outside of his spotting range if I leave smoke)
  4. I am detected and deleted

I am pretty dubious of this change.

Members
2,274 posts
7,338 battles

I dont think will be that bad for cruisers, they will have to be more carefull with their positioning. But they still have a good window to smoke fire.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,167 posts
8,781 battles

The biggest "problem" with this is each ship will have a different smoke detection distance which will be a big learning curve for people that play many different ships.

[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
10,667 posts
7,558 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

The biggest "problem" with this is each ship will have a different smoke detection distance which will be a big learning curve for people that play many different ships.

Hopefully WG can list the smoke detection range in the menu that pops up when someone hits the "H" button. That way people can check in game. 

• Cool 1

Members
17,785 posts
5,084 battles
4 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I honestly think that a lot of people will just remember a value that covers all their ships of a particular type, and leave it at that.

I'm thinking that the players that play on the edge and need to know all the individual distances will be the type to be able to remember them anyway.

[USCC2]
Members
3,428 posts

Wait and see.

There have been many changes to a 'few' classes in this game; many who play those classes have waited to adapt to the new changes each and every patch they come along.

We should wait to see if the RN players adapt or need help before looking at more changes.

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
28 minutes ago, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

Hopefully WG can list the smoke detection range in the menu that pops up when someone hits the "H" button. That way people can check in game. 

I know it is in the port screen, but yes, I would like this as well.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,167 posts
8,781 battles
2 hours ago, Skpstr said:

I honestly think that a lot of people will just remember a value that covers all their ships of a particular type, and leave it at that.

I'm thinking that the players that play on the edge and need to know all the individual distances will be the type to be able to remember them anyway.

Yeah but for the ships with longer than the average distance it is going to be education by fire.

[-K-]
[-K-]
5,748 posts
6,713 battles
3 hours ago, Cobraclutch said:

It will make RN CL's / MK much more vulnerable to Destroyers. 

There is a gap between the Bloom range and the hydro range that a DD can sneak into and keep you spotted. That will be the biggest hurdle. 

Not Belfast though. Oh, I'm spotted in smoke? Hit radar button, free DD kill. 

Members
17,785 posts
5,084 battles
6 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Yeah but for the ships with longer than the average distance it is going to be education by fire.

True, but I mean, just glancing at that list, I'd keep 7km for CLs, and 9km for pretty much all the CAs. Give Spee 10km, and 13 for a Tier 10 CA. that would pretty much cover it for me.

Members
17,785 posts
5,084 battles
6 minutes ago, vak_ said:

Not Belfast though. Oh, I'm spotted in smoke? Hit radar button, free DD kill. 

What if it's not a DD?

[-K-]
[-K-]
5,748 posts
6,713 battles
Just now, Skpstr said:

What if it's not a DD?

Then the Belfast driver should check the minimap more carefully next time he smokes up.

Members
17,785 posts
5,084 battles
4 minutes ago, vak_ said:

Then the Belfast driver should check the minimap more carefully next time he smokes up.

Nvm, had a brain fart lol.

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,420 battles
3 hours ago, USSRichardNixon said:

How do you think?

Don't get within 7 km and you're fine. And considering most smoke capable cruisers do so from easily 8 km+ I don't see an issue.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,747 posts
9,451 battles
37 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

What if it's not a DD?

My New Orleans and Baltimore have been that "Not a DD" on occasion withat Belfasts.:etc_red_button:

Members
17,785 posts
5,084 battles
22 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

My New Orleans and Baltimore have been that "Not a DD" on occasion withat Belfasts.:etc_red_button:

I can see it. I just got the NO, and didn't realise that I'm down to 10.1 km without the concealment upgrade.

Also, I put both rudder mods on, since I did that on Hipper. (only other T8 CA) Played a couple games to finish off the XP I needed for the B hull, then checked the rudder shift after upgrading. wth? I might have a DD in port with a slower rudder lol.

Edited by Skpstr