Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

CCleaner Infected with viral payload - update now

8 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,265 posts

Reuters reports:

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Hackers broke into British company Piriform’s free software for optimizing computer performance last month potentially allowing them to control the devices of more than two million users, the company and independent researchers said on Monday.

The independent researchers would appear to include CISCO. Full article here:

http://blog.talosintelligence.com/2017/09/avast-distributes-malware.html

Piriform's blog stated:

We would like to apologize for a security incident that we have recently found in CCleaner version 5.33.6162 and CCleaner Cloud version 1.07.3191. A suspicious activity was identified on September 12th, 2017, where we saw an unknown IP address receiving data from software found in version 5.33.6162 of CCleaner, and CCleaner Cloud version 1.07.3191, on 32-bit Windows systems...

CCleaner is recommended when cleaning up your system. If you have it installed, do the smart thing and get the current version, 

• Cool 3

[FOXEH]
Members
3,320 posts
11,836 battles

Thanks for that warning. I use CCleaner routinely.

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,440 posts
6,631 battles

I stopped using CC cleaner a month ago, despite warnings about "do you really want to uninstall?" As for it being hacked, it wouldn't be the first time pc maintenance software was used as a download host for undesirable ware. It happens more often than is admitted/

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,265 posts

Oh you are welcome... I've used it for years and years on my various pc-based machines. First time I've ever seen/heard of such an issue with their product. 

[FU8AR]
Alpha Tester
471 posts
2,382 battles

Thanks for the update.  CCleaner is a necessity on my laptops.  They aren't that powerful, and need all the help they can get.

Sign in to follow this