You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DeletedUser

Frustrated and Confused

10 comments in this topic

Members
0 posts

Been playing for about 2 weeks now, and sunk a pretty penny into the game, but there are times where I have scratch my head and ask no-one how a cruiser HE shell is doing 2X as much damage to a Battleship as a Battleships AP shell. Needless to say, that gets frustrating.

And when is WOW going to include the rest of the French ships? IE, the battleships. And the Italian ships? Why stop with the 1 Italian cruiser.

WoWS Wiki Editor
7,203 posts
6,433 battles

HE Shells have two different outcomes for when they hit their target. Either they penetrate or they won't. If they penetrate they will deal around a third of their listed max damage unless they hit the citadel, but that case is rather rare. If they fail to penetrate their shell damage is zero.

AP Shells have more possible outcome. They either fail to penetrate, overpenetrate, penetrate or hit the citadel. First case will obviously deal zero damage. Second case will deal 10% of the shell's listed damage, third will deal 1/3 of the shell's damage and a citadel hit deals 100% damage.

So if you are facing issues with dealing AP damage to the target, you should adjust your aim and maybe select a different target.

Be patient with new ship lines, getting the in-game model of an entire ship takes long, just for reference here is a timelapse of Hood's model designing process:

And this is just the model itself, what it still lacks is the entire balancing process, testing, bug-Fixing and so on.

Members
448 posts
7,474 battles

Shell damage is dependant on a variety of factors - your ship/guns, the enemy ship's armor, the angle of the enemy ship, distance, where on the enemy ship the shell hits, overmatch mechanics, RNG, etc. etc. etc.

In general terms HE can provide reliable and steady DoT damage(with fires), while AP is capable of extreme burst damage when you can hit a citadel.( note there are exceptions to these basic guidelines, for instance DDs have no citadels, some big guns can citadel lightly-armored cruisers with HE, etc.)

Check out the wiki or some youtube videos that go into more detail.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,370 posts
7,948 battles

Cruiser shells have less penetrating power, meaning if they do pen (BB superstructure, certain weaker areas on some ships, deck at range) they do 1/3rd of their full damage per hit, where as especially at certain ranges and vs certain cruisers, BB's are more likely to overpen the cruiser, even if they hit the citadel (UK cruisers namely, especially at close range). Meaning shot for shot, your average tier 6 BB is doing 970-1200 per overpen hit against a cruiser doing about 100-1100 a hit. Not double however, if, with the not quite as good accuracy, BB is landing say, 4 rounds, at about 1000 damage, vs cruisers landing 6+ rounds, you start to get double the numbers. Not to mention cruisers just setting things on fire. Now just add in the sheer volume of fire. That said, you learn to aim proper, BB can delete a cruiser in a salvo, no problem. That doesn't count a ship like Graff Spee that actually has essentially BB guns on it. I'll also say, meaning no offense, that if part of that "pretty penny" was say, buying tier 7-8 ships, you've done yourself a major disservice because as boring as the grind may seem, you need to get to know the basics and that is what the low tiers are for, and from there, get an idea of what the ships are like as most nations have a general theme, and most premiums still fall in it, or play off a different nations theme.

Also, patience - the game launched with only the USN and IJN ships you see in the tech tree sans the DD branch out. The only 2 nations that squared off and really did the majority of major naval fights of WW II AND to which they had full access to blueprints and all AND could fill out full tech trees with few/no paper/fake ships. Adding RU was priority because major player base and WGHQ is in that region, German and UK were also big because again, naval actions, finally getting UK blueprints access, and Germany has a decent share of EU gaming, also, Royal Navy. France, Italy, maybe a couple others, they'll get their lines but some require a lot of paper or fake ships, and they just did not have the presence of USN, IJN, KM, and UK RN or aren't Russian. And it can take months for a single ship, a full tech tree, year+. Not to mention they add everything right now, we have nothing to look forward to, game gets boring fast, we all leave, nobody wins. 

1,542 posts
26 battles
On 18/09/2017 at 6:52 AM, Bogo6161 said:

And when is WOW going to include the rest of the French ships? IE, the battleships. And the Italian ships? Why stop with the 1 Italian cruiser.

Hey @Bogo6161 thanks for your input, we'll pass this along to our team to show your interest!

Members
0 posts

Been getting a little better, but not learning anything. It's a guy thing.

I do have 1 ?. Can torps cause a detonation? I few days ago, my Tirpitz, after suffering a few hits, blew up from a single torp hit that caused 68,000(+/_) of damage. Bewildering.

Oops. And why is there an achievement for "Detonation"? That's not exactly a good thing.

Members
594 posts
4,414 battles
On 10/7/2017 at 11:10 PM, Bogo6161 said:

Been getting a little better, but not learning anything. It's a guy thing.

I do have 1 ?. Can torps cause a detonation? I few days ago, my Tirpitz, after suffering a few hits, blew up from a single torp hit that caused 68,000(+/_) of damage. Bewildering.

Oops. And why is there an achievement for "Detonation"? That's not exactly a good thing.

Yes. Torps can cause Dets.

The reward for it gives you free flags. These eliminate the chance for detonation 100 percent for one match and are then expended. So, 10 flags will last 10 matches.

It's basically a consolation prize to award very 'bad' luck.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,672 posts
7,499 battles
On 9/17/2017 at 10:52 PM, Bogo6161 said:

Been playing for about 2 weeks now, and sunk a pretty penny into the game, but there are times where I have scratch my head and ask no-one how a cruiser HE shell is doing 2X as much damage to a Battleship as a Battleships AP shell. Needless to say, that gets frustrating.

Personally I would not sink to much money into Wows at the beginning of playing the gameyour not going to see a hudge advantage or be a better player by doing this and for me would lead to high expectations and possibly frustration 

ive spread my money spent here evenly over my 5000+ games

The game mechanics for HE-AP is complicated and has to do with what type of ships, range, angle, fire started or not ... it is a game after all and each ship is balanced along these lines,

as far as what ships are coming and why they only do certain or part of a line is a mystery, there are so many ships out there and Wows try’s to spread it around I guess