You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Darthvader_9

Need help

8 comments in this topic

[RE]
Members
485 posts
17,832 battles

So I mostly play German BB's and a couple of DD's that I like.

So there is my problem,

With the BB is always close to the front lines brawling away and soaking damage( cause thy can),

With the DD's there is just 1 place anyways upfront spotting and walls of skills,

So here is where I need help with, cruisers,

I tend to get deleted quickly cause of my play style, being close to the front,

So any advice on how to play cruisers better would be appreciated,

Cause I am failing my way to higher tier cruisers(potato of potatoes).

Please don't tell me to go watch videos or git gud

Members
154 posts
4,245 battles
11 minutes ago, Darthvader_9 said:

Please don't tell me to go watch videos...

I don't understand this logic. If there are very well made and clear video guides on the subject, why would you not want to be informed about it? So here is my advice (modified to your criteria): change your play style. Be patient and error on the side of caution rather than being the first man through the breach. Don't rush to the front in a cruiser but stay near other battleships.

[BLOME]
Members
945 posts
6,404 battles

Do not charge to the front. Don't go alone.

That is what I did until Tier 5 and now I have "potato" WTR. Used to play cruisers with 4 torpedo tubes and close in to enemy to unload all 4 of them and die in the process.

[FML]
Members
1,633 posts
9,910 battles
3 hours ago, Darthvader_9 said:

So I mostly play German BB's and a couple of DD's that I like.

So there is my problem,

With the BB is always close to the front lines brawling away and soaking damage( cause thy can),

With the DD's there is just 1 place anyways upfront spotting and walls of skills,

So here is where I need help with, cruisers,

I tend to get deleted quickly cause of my play style, being close to the front,

So any advice on how to play cruisers better would be appreciated,

Cause I am failing my way to higher tier cruisers(potato of potatoes).

Please don't tell me to go watch videos or git gud

Depends a bit on the style of cruisers. 

•  UK light cruisers should be played on an "aggressive defence" style whereby you are near a corner of an island near a cap with friendly destroyers, and help your DDs kill the enemy DDs. Retreat behind the island cover when smoke is about to run out, or pinch friendly smoke on the cap if you have killed enemies in that area. Your Torps are long range and hard hitting, so you can fire them into enemy smoke and/or as area denial, but I often find myself using them to prevent/punish enemy battleships who try and charge my smoke. 
  • USN cruisers are best to hide behind islands, taking advantage of your floaty she'll arcs, and fire HE to set fire to enemy battleships again and again and again. Late battle, you can hunt down enemy cruisers with your heavy AP shells, or even low HP enemy battleships that you can surprise at really close range (ideally with their guns pointing the wrong way) but this is high risk. 
  • German, Russian, French and Italian cruisers are long range HE spammers trying to set fire in enemy battleships from their max range, using speed and maneuverability to dodge incoming fire and stay alive; you need to carefully watch all incoming shells though, and really smash the WASD keys all battle to live. Late game, you can kill low hp battleships with your Torps, ideally by surprising them from around islands at very close range (again this is high risk). 

Hope that helps, good luck!!

Also, I reiterate the comments of others about not rushing in. Your plan should be about surviving to late battle, where your speed, decent firepower and decent stealth allows you to flex to the other side of the map to win the battle (eg, resetting the cap, etc). Battleships generally can't do that, and DDs generally don't have the other tools (radar, sonar, heals, or AA) to survive as well, despite their better concealment. 

If you die early, you've done something wrong. Win rate is then in the hands of MM. 

Edited by UltimateNewbie

Members
3,644 posts
13,502 battles

As a long time Cruiser player my advice is... Don't go charging into the fray. No matter what Cruiser you're driving and how tough she may be, she will not last long under the tender caresses of BB fire. And just because you have torpedoes doesn't mean you have to use them. (I consider Cruiser torps to be a weapon of opportunity) So don't charge in on a torpedo run. Stay near cover and run from cover to cover. If there's no cover nearby, use the WASD hack to evade (hopefully) the BB shots that WILL be coming your way. :cap_haloween:

Now y'all be REAL careful out thar! :fish_boom:

[DAKI]
Members
621 posts
6,137 battles

Kiting works well in cruisers where you shoot then lower your profile during loading it also allows you to dodge shots which you can do after you see someone shoots. You can along with  that trying always positioning yourself in spots that prove fewer firing angles for the enemy and cover to fire over mountains which USN cruisers do.  The biggest and simplest thing I noticed was simply controlling your speed like others say, most of the time people get nuke is when they rushed on an area and have to turn around since they got too close to someone or turning in general.

[RS]
Members
371 posts
13,054 battles

Well as much as I hate saying it. Playing at the front is a sure way to die no matter which ship you are talking about.

There are precious few players out there who will actually use your bravery as a reason to push and most will use it as a great reason to hide behind you and snipe while you soak up the damage they are too cowardly to take. So avoid it.

I prefer BB's but will play cruisers from time to time. (I totally suck at DD/s and should be laughed at when playing them) My success in a cruiser is usually found by finding the best strategic location. A nice spot where I can ambush attacking DD's is always productive. So is spotting a BB duel and adding my firepower to my own BB's output. I've had mixed luck with cruiser duels and will actively avoid dueling with a BB. If you are forced to, zig and zag if your cruiser has the agility. Some do, some don't but straight lines send you straight to the bottom. But don't run. you won't make it. If trapped turn nose in and charge, You will be surprised at how many BB's turn tail and run like bunnies in a wolf den when they think you are launching torps. Heck, I've had a Nagato run from my Cleveland and it doesn't even HAVE torps........

Disclaimer: all my opinions, Add two bucks and you may find they are worth enough to get you a small latte if you have a coupon to go with it.