Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GE_Capital

Seat belts?

14 comments in this topic

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,583 posts
5,865 battles

What part about seat belts do you hate the most?  I'm looking for some qualitative answers about seat belts.  I personally wear mine all the time, and think it's very important, but I know a few people who choose not to, whether it's uncomfortable, unnecessary, etc. so I wanted to get some opinions from you guys.  

[SPTR]
Members
25,640 posts
10,824 battles

what I hate most about them is when they decide to lock up at the most unnecessary times such as buckling it on 

• Cool 3

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles

I have been a state trooper for 21 years.  I have worked thousands of crashes.  I can tell you, from what I have seen, seat belts are an absolute no-brainer.  WEAR IT if you value your life.  I have seen minor crashes with unbuckled dead occupants, and I have seen massive crashes with buckled drivers who had minor injuries.  Ejections will kill you or severely mess you up forever.  I cannot count the number of ejections I have seen, but I can count how many walked away from an ejection on two hands.

I hear people tell me all the time, "I knew this guy who rolled his car, and if he would have been wearing a seat belt, he would be dead."  I have yet to see a crash with that type of result.  I suppose it could happen, but in my experience it is a one in a million chance.  If I were to offer you a bet that would cost you $1,000 for a one in a million chance, would you buy in?  If not, why would you do it if the stakes were your life?

There are some crashes that are just too devastating and not even a seat belt and an air bag could have saved anyone.  But, I am really tired of telling family members a loved one was killed because he wasn't wearing a seat belt, when I know with damned near certainty that person would have survived with minor injuries if he had been buckled up.

I challenge any of you to argue with me on this topic.  If you try, however, I will question your qualifications for your opinion.  As I said, I have been to thousands of crash scenes.  I have investigated the causes, results, and aftermath.  I have seen hundreds of crash injuries and dozens upon dozens of fatalities.

You can be an excellent driver, but nearly every two vehicle (or more) crash I have responded to involved a driver who was doing nothing wrong.  They were hit by 'the other guy'.

Wear it.  If you are involved in a crash, it decreases your chance and severity of injury by a lot, and drastically increases your chance of survival.

Edited by desmo_2
  • Cool 3

[FOXEH]
Members
266 posts
4,335 battles

The part that annoys me most is when it's supposed to twist- like it's designed that way, so you've got that twist and crease. Annoying, but mostly harmless. Not that I would ever not wear a seatbelt.

[TASH]
Members
4,993 posts
7,903 battles

Wear them all the time, you never know what may happen.

A lot of my friends at school have been into accidents (whether it was their fault or not), and a few did not wear seatbelts.  Oh boy, they got sent to the hospital if it was above 10 mph with serious injuries.

Edited by ValkyrWarframe

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,583 posts
5,865 battles
12 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

I have been a state trooper for 21 years.  etc

Yes, I'm actually investigating reasons people do not use them so as to influence future seat belt design.

[-TAB-]
Members
1,597 posts
5,126 battles

neither of my motorcycles have seat belts on them. I really don't like taking passengers on rides, as I have to explain my insurance has lower (CA state mandated) medical coverage for passengers. it's that bad for them. the usual cause of the major injuries is being thrown off the bike. just the launch, which is usually lateral impact, can be known to cause as much, or more damage than the landing impact for passengers. double screwed.

I can't see any reason for not wearing seat belts but being an organ donor combined with stupidity.

they can be removed, the twist corrected, and reinstalled with anti-chafe cushions that not only provide added comfort, but spread the stress from retention in high impact situations, in both your abdomen and collarbone. 

in my porsches, in which I drove around the cones and one time (over 7 years ago, statute of limitation passed) exceeded the speed limit, had 5 point harness systems for both seats. in my ex-wife's collision with a garbage truck at 45+ mph, it saved her from any injury. car did not fare so well.

Members
2,404 posts
2,193 battles

Aside from sometimes bugging my neck, the only thing that bothers me about seat belts is that the middle seats. I question the safety of center seats with only a waist belt rather than the full set the window seats always get. 

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,375 posts
7,962 battles
1 hour ago, Rolkatsuki said:

what I hate most about them is when they decide to lock up at the most unnecessary times such as buckling it on 

This. Had one where it locked up trying to reach my gameboy when I dropped it, stuck till we hit a rest stop. Next day, parent had to slam breaks, smash my head onto the seat in front of me. 3 days later, locks again. Though I will say also that for every bit of energy dissipation they try to build into the car, they need a better system for seat belts or to replace them. A few times I've ended up bruised just from hitting the breaks hard, thankfully haven't been in that kind of crash. Not sure what would be best short of a racing harness and Hans device, but gotta be something. Still partial though to the car that doesn't crumple, I get the science behind it and all, but have seen people hurt worse because it crushes and stuff ends up through the firewall. Or the ones the debris causes things to get worse.

Also Desmo_2 - there are a handful of scenario's where being ejected/not having a seatbelt would be better. However, those scenario's are in all likely hood about the same odds of you getting hit by a meteor while it's raining. Car impacting in a manner that the sudden stop and direction change breaks your neck from a simultaneous impact, a wreck where the car immediately catches fire and no one would have got you out in time, being ejected from the car actually lands you on the road/roadside as your car careens off a cliff, crazy things like that.

[SYN]
Members
14,370 posts
10,239 battles

Younger and older people might not have the range of motion in their arms or the dexterity in their fingers to buckle themselves in properly. (supervision required)

Actually, come to think of it, the latching end is, sometimes, REALLY difficult to fish out of the seat crevasses when you have 3 people sitting in the back. And then, the middle seat will sometimes have only the waist line belt, but that too will be hidden somewhere between three butts and the seat. It's even worse in winter, when everyone is wearing bulkier clothing.

Members
689 posts
1,107 battles

Sometimes I don't use them because it can be an annoyance and waste of energy when you get a pain in the [edited]seat belt that doesn't want to cooperate. If I'm not driving very far they can go to hell, but I'll tolerate it if it's a further drive. If die I die, I never really cared about my own well-being anyway.

[WOLFX]
Beta Testers
226 posts
7,492 battles

I lost my first wife because she wasn't wearing a seat belt. She turned 21 on a life support machine.

Wear your seat belts. Please.

Sign in to follow this