You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Goodwood_Alpha

Whine vs. Gripe: What's the difference?

17 comments in this topic

[NBGC]
Members
3,041 posts
10,248 battles

So, I was reading a book the other day, and during one part, two of the characters are having a chat about how one of them can earn the other's respect, etc., and one of the things that was brought up was the difference between a gripe and simple whining—and after a few days of reflection, it occurs to me that perhaps this is something that might merit some form of discussion. Especially when it comes to online gaming and discussions regarding gameplay, mechanics, strategy/tactics, and other related topics, wherein opinions regarding them can and often are influenced by things like groupthink and perspective.

The term "whine thread" has often been used, whether justly or not, so perhaps it is time to nail down a definition for it, and separating it from a "gripe thread."

The book doesn't come out and give a definitive difference between a whine and a gripe, but it's pretty easy to see if one reads between the lines—so to speak. So, I'm going to go ahead and offer up an opinion on the key differences as I see them. Take them as you will.

A whine typically is:

• Abstract; often focused more on feelings than facts.
  • All- or multiple-inclusive, covering several broad topics at one go.
  • Usually spiced up with colorful metaphors, dank memes, etc..
  • No solution(s) offered, nor any broad or specific help asked for.

A gripe typically is:

• Concrete; often focused on facts or, at least, a well-founded opinion.
  • Tight-focused, covering one or two items the OP might be having trouble with.
  • Can be spicy, but usually calm and well laid-out.
  • Usually couched in some desire for assistance in whatever form.

An example of a whine might be a rage post lamenting the lack of teammates of a decent calibre, or else a short, sharp shock meant to express a highly-subjective, negative opinion of a certain ship (in this game, at least). A gripe might still be about one or the other of these subjects, but it will instead provide examples of lackluster teamplay and a bit of perspective on how things might've gone better in said example (with regards to the first example), or else go into a deeper accounting of how the OP is having a particularly hard time with the ship in question, asking how others are able to do better (for the latter example).

This, to me, is the key difference between a whine and a gripe: the spirit and substance of the complaint, not its subject. Whines should be dismissed as the emotional tantrums they so often seem at first glance, while gripes, depending on the interest a given reader might have on the subject, should at least be treated with some small modicum of respect. Depending, of course, on the effort involved on the part of the topic or post creator.

• Cool 2

[NBGC]
Members
3,041 posts
10,248 battles
Just now, Sventex said:

And do you know the difference between sympathy and empathy?

I couldn't give you the dictionary definitions, but to me it seems like one is an offering to someone in distress, while the other is the ability to understand the cause of that distress. Sympathy is a (sometimes shallow) show of support, empathy is a deeper willingness to put yourself in their position.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,676 posts
6 minutes ago, Sventex said:

And do you know the difference between sympathy and empathy?

Empathy is sharing the feelings of another, sympathy is caring and understanding their suffering

[-VT3-]
Members
1,606 posts
3,346 battles
30 minutes ago, Destroyer_Suzukaze said:

Empathy is sharing the feelings of another, sympathy is caring and understanding their suffering

Is there such a thing as half-sympathy?  Understanding one's suffering, and not caring?  Because that's pretty much every round in the Kutuzov, for me.

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
6,010 posts
5,102 battles
3 minutes ago, DerKrampus said:

Is there such a thing as half-sympathy?  Understanding one's suffering, and not caring?  Because that's pretty much every round in the Kutuzov, for me.

Sympathy is more akin to pity, so it'd be more like caring but not understanding.

[NBGC]
Members
3,041 posts
10,248 battles

Now that we've got that all figured out, could we maybe return to the topic at hand?

Sventex, while there was probably a good point to this diversion, I'd appreciate an explanation.

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

If someone has a different opinion than you coupled with being a different main, no matter how much of a gripe discussion you try to have, it will usually be considered a whine. 

One particular Ship Type main Captains commonly misdirects meaningful discussions with arguments of whining when the discussions are started by another particular Ship Type main.

It doesn't matter what the subject is..

[-VT3-]
Members
1,606 posts
3,346 battles
16 minutes ago, Sventex said:

Sympathy is more akin to pity, so it'd be more like caring but not understanding.

I guess the word I'm looking for is probably Sadism, then.

Members
11,026 posts
19 minutes ago, DerKrampus said:

Cognitive empathy (understanding what someone else feels) vs emotional empathy (feeling what (you think) someone else feels).

@OP A whine is something you disagree with, a gripe is something you agree with.

In practical terms.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,676 posts

I just want to whine about spending the free XP to get the z-23 while it's still on sale. I have enough for the Nelson so it's no bother, but man I want to whine about it

[-TAB-]
Members
1,597 posts
5,126 battles

distinction would have to be mostly delivery for me.

whine is mostly characterized by the voice. "daaadeeeeeee, you said we could have __________, and it's not fair that..." really high pitched and _______. yeah, like that.

gripe. can be delivered from a position of power, for instance when your son (who towers over you and does MMA) and says in a deep, low voice, clearly enunciated, with other children present "dad, you said we could go to sleeping beauty after the fight. it's not fair..."

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,694 battles
36 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Whine is what you get when gripes are allowed to ferment.

I hate when gripes are allowed to ferment.  Makes me so gassy.

Beta Testers
6,975 posts
3,942 battles
2 hours ago, Goodwood_Alpha said:

Tight-focused, covering one or two items the OP might be having trouble with.

Basically.

How overwhlelmingly [edited] the Graf Zeps AP Bombs are now that the Developers showed everyone they have no [edited]clue how to balance anything because they can instant-delete same tier Battleships with a manual Drop and have bombs to spare. Also, don't worry, it's every Battleship, not just KM one's because the developers decided to give the Bombers a better fuze, a better max penetration, a better damage, and more of them. 

Versus the Graf Zep is an OP piece of crapthat needs to be re-nerfed into the stone age and people get their money back.

[REVY]
Members
6,010 posts
5,102 battles
6 minutes ago, Sakuzhi said:

Basically.

How overwhlelmingly [edited] the Graf Zeps AP Bombs are now that the Developers showed everyone they have no [edited]clue how to balance anything because they can instant-delete same tier Battleships with a manual Drop and have bombs to spare. Also, don't worry, it's every Battleship, not just KM one's because the developers decided to give the Bombers a better fuze, a better max penetration, a better damage, and more of them. 

Versus the Graf Zep is an OP piece of crapthat needs to be re-nerfed into the stone age and people get their money back.

I was someone disturbed when I confronted a Test Graf Zep with my Benson and 95% of my shells shattered/bounched.  Both HE and AP were having almost no effect, which was somewhat distressing.