Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
mous1

Whats up with the fire chances?

14 comments in this topic

Members
258 posts
3,363 battles

So when i play iowa EVERY 2nd he salvo lights me on fire constantly. Its anoying

[ARMDA]
Members
8,993 posts
3,453 battles

So put in modules and skills that help reduce the chance of fire/reduce the time the fire burns?

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
1,481 posts
2,042 battles

It's only every second salvo?

Seriously, fire does bother me that much (OK, conquerors and Zaos do), I have heal and repair for that. That's one of my jobs as a BB. Take fire so other more vulnerable ships don't. That DM that's spamming me? I'll disengage in a minute or so, and heal up, no problems. And while he's shooting me, he's not shooting the DD that's capping.

And if fire really bothers you, there's a captain skill that really helps.

Members
7,047 posts
4,534 battles

Every second salvo doesn't even sound that bad, unless we're talking about DD guns. Last night I got set on fire 5 times in 3 salvos from a Buddyonny in my Gneisenau. 

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,362 posts
7,930 battles

Depends what's shooting at you for starters. Last check unless the game wiki wasn't updated ships have a certain resistance to fire that goes against the general chance of setting a fire, at which point every hit has that chance, the more times hit generally the more chances one will roll in the number range a fire starts. Why even DB' with "over 100% chance to start fires" sometimes start none.

Beta Testers
1,353 posts
On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 8:20 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Fire Prevention is a very nice trait, even before the RN BBs came out.

Fire prevention is useless. Has been for a very long time. You can easily test this by having your ship be equipped with the -10% fire chance skill and the ship with the -5% fire chance module....

take note: -15% fire chance ...

and then take it into any battle and see a ship with a mere 7% fire chance in stats, no flags or DE capt skill.... set you on triple fires quickly.

The formula for fire chance is so stupidly coded that ships that, per the equation (http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Fire ) have less than 4% chance of fire will light you up, as the OP says, in 2 salvos or so. If its a soviet ship shooting at you, the fire chance it gets is significantly higher because soviet ships have hidden coefficient bonuses.

Fire prevention is a waste of skill points. Your ship will still get insta-lit on fire no matter what. Spend the points on something that has an applicable, noticeable benefit instead.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,312 posts
10,101 battles

Have to admit the ease with which HE sets you on fire (regardless of ship type) drives me nuts too. It is worse in BB though for sure. They seem to have gas added to their paint. LOL. Countless times the very 1st hit I take in game I get set on fire even if it is just ONE shell. Put the fire(s) out at some point and the first hit you take after that sets you back on fire. It is too easy to start fires. And before anyone calls me a BBaby let me remind you about 1/2 my games played are in Cruisers. HE starts fires too easy; period. I also agree with a previous poster that the Capt Skill and flags don't really help much.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,353 posts

Yep. Fire is the only reason BB's don't push. The moment you enter ~15k range of cruisers your fate is sealed.

The whole mechanic of HE/fire as means of cruisers having a way to hurt BB's is idiotic. AP to the superstructure is quite functional and much more believable... the AP is bouncing off that bow-on BB? Then stop freaking shooting it and stealth up, use your torps or use your stealth to flank it. That's what cruisers are for. Work with the DDs..support the BBs..that's a cruiser's job.

But this nonsense of HE doing full damage regardless of range and magical fires started by shells that didn't even penetrate the hull is absurd.

• Cool 2

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,540 posts
13,992 battles
On 9/23/2017 at 5:06 PM, Skyfaller said:

Fire prevention is useless. Has been for a very long time. You can easily test this by having your ship be equipped with the -10% fire chance skill and the ship with the -5% fire chance module....

take note: -15% fire chance ...

and then take it into any battle and see a ship with a mere 7% fire chance in stats, no flags or DE capt skill.... set you on triple fires quickly.

The formula for fire chance is so stupidly coded that ships that, per the equation (http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Fire ) have less than 4% chance of fire will light you up, as the OP says, in 2 salvos or so. If its a soviet ship shooting at you, the fire chance it gets is significantly higher because soviet ships have hidden coefficient bonuses.

Fire prevention is a waste of skill points. Your ship will still get insta-lit on fire no matter what. Spend the points on something that has an applicable, noticeable benefit instead.

LOL, you don't take Fire Prevention for the -10% fire chance.  That coding is as s--t as DCSM1 is in actually slowing down the rate of fires landing on you.

The REAL draw for Fire Prevention is the reduction of the amount of zones of your ship that can be set afire.  For BBs and their massive hulls and massive superstructure, that is a big deal.  At the very worst, my FP-protected BB is much more limited in the max fires it suffers compared to the non-FP protected ones that are eating 4 fires.

• Cool 1

[OPG1]
Members
611 posts
7,991 battles
On 9/24/2017 at 8:37 PM, Skyfaller said:

Yep. Fire is the only reason BB's don't push. The moment you enter ~15k range of cruisers your fate is sealed.

The whole mechanic of HE/fire as means of cruisers having a way to hurt BB's is idiotic. AP to the superstructure is quite functional and much more believable... the AP is bouncing off that bow-on BB? Then stop freaking shooting it and stealth up, use your torps or use your stealth to flank it. That's what cruisers are for. Work with the DDs..support the BBs..that's a cruiser's job.

But this nonsense of HE doing full damage regardless of range and magical fires started by shells that didn't even penetrate the hull is absurd.

I've been saying this for the longest time. HE damage is just eye rolling. But then again, this is a game where massive battleships have a hitpoints bar.... So there's that.

The thing with HE is, there is no skill in it. It just comes down to this...

Did you hit? Yes, roll for fire

Did you start a fire? Yes, you do damage. No, shoot again until you start a fire.

Does he have Damage Control? Yes, you do no damage, shoot again for RNG fire. No, you do damage.

The amount of damage you do is 100% related to RNG. And you cant use AP even on full broadside ships, because unless you're in a very heavy cruiser that may as well be a BB anyway, you will just bounce.

I mean seriously Wargaming, what the hell is this? Of course now we get ships that hit for 5k-10k with HE shells and also start fires.....

Members
1,492 posts
7,336 battles
17 hours ago, Braize said:

I've been saying this for the longest time. HE damage is just eye rolling. But then again, this is a game where massive battleships have a hitpoints bar.... So there's that.

Did you start a fire? Yes, you do damage. No, shoot again until you start a fire.

Does he have Damage Control? Yes, you do no damage, shoot again for RNG fire. No, you do damage.

The amount of damage you do is 100% related to RNG. And you cant use AP even on full broadside ships, because unless you're in a very heavy cruiser that may as well be a BB anyway, you will just bounce.

I mean seriously Wargaming, what the hell is this? Of course now we get ships that hit for 5k-10k with HE shells and also start fires.....

Basically yeah, the mindless HE spam/Fires all the time killed this game for me, I can't bring myself to play anymore.  Just too frustrating and linear in nature.

Edited by Hangoverhomey

Beta Testers
1,353 posts
On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:37 AM, Braize said:

The superstructure of BB's can be penned by cruiser AP..even the 5inch of the Atlanta will. You just need to aim higher (not the base of the superstructure, armor is thicker there).

Hence why I said the whole HE damage mechanic is just sloppy,lazy design.

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 2:28 AM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

LOL, you don't take Fire Prevention for the -10% fire chance.  That coding is as s--t as DCSM1 is in actually slowing down the rate of fires landing on you.

The REAL draw for Fire Prevention is the reduction of the amount of zones of your ship that can be set afire.  For BBs and their massive hulls and massive superstructure, that is a big deal.  At the very worst, my FP-protected BB is much more limited in the max fires it suffers compared to the non-FP protected ones that are eating 4 fires.

Uh... if you're on triple fires you will be dead before the fire timers run out (even if you're running the HP heal ability repair while you're on fire). Its completely irrelevant if you get 3 or 4 fires.. you're dead either way. The kicker? You can and will be set on triple fires before you can reload your main guns in that BB..all it takes is for the cruiser or DD shooting you to know to spread his shots on your ship from bow to stern (most of them just keep shooting your middle section).

Fire Prevention should have been implemented in the form of your damage control timer getting a reduction on its re-use timer while you're on fire..and also on how many fires are set on you. So a ship on 4 fires would be getting a 75% reduction on its damage control... one fire would be 25%. 

Fires should have their % chance roll reduced based on armor penetration of the explosion upon impact. A DD's HE shell would literally have zero chance of fire on a BB because the shell's explosive power does not have the punch to pierce even the superstructure's armor (though im sure they will allow soviet ships to do so..the bias must be kept). A 6 inch gun with 10% fire chance in stats hitting an armored section of 40mm (just to use a number for the example) while the shell's HE blast has 80mm pen power...that means that 10% fire chance just got reduced by half to 5%.

THAT is how the freaking fire chances should be done.

Sign in to follow this