Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
tsunderekermit

Help a potato play the IJN Nagato

16 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

2
[G_C_A]
Members
11 posts
609 battles

Hello fellow sailors,

So, as the title suggests, I'm a potato, there, I admitted it. Anyways, I feels like I've been playing the Nagato quite wrongly. First off, I charge into caps (which is German bb's jobs), second off, I seem to be unable to mitigate damage even when I angle, even the Scharnhorst does 10k salvos to me at times (I run superintendent and premium heal and I still often survive the match with like only 6k hp), and I can't aim. If you guys can give me tips, that would be appreciated. o7

Screenshot (129)_LI.jpg

Edited by tsunderekermit
Sent the post without it being finished for some reason
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,708
[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Nagato is a great battleship, but she is not meant to push caps.

 

Her guns are powerful, accurate, and the largest at tier. They do the best at mid range engagements hitting hard and discouraging all ships facing her. The reload and traverse can suck at times, but they make up for it with accuracy and range.

 

Her armor is something to learn. She is overmatched by 15" guns and higher, so angling correctly is all the more important, don't bow on a target, instead give 20-30° angle. That allows you to still have a small profile, while at the same time letting your armor belt and citadel armor do its job. Getting all shells to hit the belt instead of penning the bow is the key here.

 

She has a huge HP pool, something that will help with surviving. Only one ship has more (HMS Hood) than you so you can tank a lot. She is decently quick, faster than some battleships at her tier, and is able to maneuver decently.

 

Her secondaries are not as bad as some would lead you to believe. She has two types, one that fires HE pretty quickly, and one that fires AP at cruiser reload speed. The AP secondaries are harped on, but they out out a good amount of damage. Heck, in one battle my division mate with a full secondary spec Nagato out damaged my Scharnhorst's secondaries in damage. So don't discount them, they can reach far too.

 

Her AA is a big weakness, so stick close to cruisers and other AA ships to protect against carriers who love low AA targets.

 

She also has a great torpedo belt, helping to mitigate those torpedoes that slip through your torpedo dodging.

 

 

 

I hope some of those points help you out. By all means feel free to ask more questions, I'm sure more people will be glad to assist.

 

Fair winds and following seas captain! :Smile_honoring:

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
313
[SF-E]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
1,166 posts
13,758 battles
1 hour ago, tsunderekermit said:

Hello fellow sailors,

So, as the title suggests, I'm a potato, there, I admitted it. Anyways, I feels like I've been playing the Nagato quite wrongly. First off, I charge into caps (which is German bb's jobs), second off, I seem to be unable to mitigate damage even when I angle, even the Scharnhorst does 10k salvos to me at times (I run superintendent and premium heal and I still often survive the match with like only 6k hp), and I can't aim. If you guys can give me tips, that would be appreciated. o7

Screenshot (129)_LI.jpg

Are you sure you're a tater tot? This screenshot looks like you are doing just fine in damage mitigation and output. 

 

If you're consistently able to get dreadnought level damage received, then you're doing something right. And, you're dishing out well above average damage too...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2
[G_C_A]
Members
11 posts
609 battles
1 hour ago, SkywhaleExpress said:

Are you sure you're a tater tot? This screenshot looks like you are doing just fine in damage mitigation and output. 

 

If you're consistently able to get dreadnought level damage received, then you're doing something right. And, you're dishing out well above average damage too...

Hmm, I might watch way too much Flamu, according to him, you're only doing well If you have 200k dmg and 4 mil potential damage. And yes, I do tank for my team consistently, though I don't usually survive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2
[G_C_A]
Members
11 posts
609 battles
1 hour ago, SkywhaleExpress said:

Are you sure you're a tater tot? This screenshot looks like you are doing just fine in damage mitigation and output. 

 

If you're consistently able to get dreadnought level damage received, then you're doing something right. And, you're dishing out well above average damage too...

Funny thing is, I survived that game with 900 hp ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2
[G_C_A]
Members
11 posts
609 battles
3 hours ago, Doomlock said:

Nagato is a great battleship, but she is not meant to push caps.

 

Her guns are powerful, accurate, and the largest at tier. They do the best at mid range engagements hitting hard and discouraging all ships facing her. The reload and traverse can suck at times, but they make up for it with accuracy and range.

 

Her armor is something to learn. She is overmatched by 15" guns and higher, so angling correctly is all the more important, don't bow on a target, instead give 20-30° angle. That allows you to still have a small profile, while at the same time letting your armor belt and citadel armor do its job. Getting all shells to hit the belt instead of penning the bow is the key here.

 

She has a huge HP pool, something that will help with surviving. Only one ship has more (HMS Hood) than you so you can tank a lot. She is decently quick, faster than some battleships at her tier, and is able to maneuver decently.

 

Her secondaries are not as bad as some would lead you to believe. She has two types, one that fires HE pretty quickly, and one that fires AP at cruiser reload speed. The AP secondaries are harped on, but they out out a good amount of damage. Heck, in one battle my division mate with a full secondary spec Nagato out damaged my Scharnhorst's secondaries in damage. So don't discount them, they can reach far too.

 

Her AA is a big weakness, so stick close to cruisers and other AA ships to protect against carriers who love low AA targets.

 

She also has a great torpedo belt, helping to mitigate those torpedoes that slip through your torpedo dodging.

 

 

 

I hope some of those points help you out. By all means feel free to ask more questions, I'm sure more people will be glad to assist.

 

Fair winds and following seas captain! :Smile_honoring:

Thanks! I will try that type of angling later. But the Nagato has 25mm bow, how the hell do people do damage to me through that? Two more things, where did your profile picture come from? And last game I was against a Bismarck (without secondary build, thankfully), he was about 10KM away, full broadside, I shoot at the waterline, perfect shot, few pens and overpens. EEEEHHH? When a Colorado or Nagato does that, instant citadel, maybe 30k damage. Please explain this to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2
[G_C_A]
Members
11 posts
609 battles
1 hour ago, GenErick64 said:

Sometimes you just have to realize the team is the potato. Like above mentioned, you do just fine going by the numbers.

Thanks for your kind words! :Smile-_tongue:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,708
[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
16 minutes ago, tsunderekermit said:

Thanks! I will try that type of angling later. But the Nagato has 25mm bow, how the hell do people do damage to me through that? Two more things, where did your profile picture come from? And last game I was against a Bismarck (without secondary build, thankfully), he was about 10KM away, full broadside, I shoot at the waterline, perfect shot, few pens and overpens. EEEEHHH? When a Colorado or Nagato does that, instant citadel, maybe 30k damage. Please explain this to me.

The thing with the bow is, is that all T7 battleships have that same thickness of armor. They all overmatch each other, so angling is crucial to success. 

 

Bismarck at that distance is nigh uncitadel-able. On German battleships instead of aiming for the waterline (which their armor is designed to fight against), aim for the upper belt, more towards the deck. You aren't gonna get any citadels, but you will get plenty of penatrations, and that damage hurts. Nagato and Colorado so not have the armor scheme to combat this type of hit, plus their armor is laid out differently, so a waterline shot is likely gonna citadel you or him.

 

My picture was simply found off of google image search. I was hunting down pictures and came across it.

 

That should help you out in any situation. 

Fair winds and following seas captain! :Smile_honoring:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2
[G_C_A]
Members
11 posts
609 battles
49 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

The thing with the bow is, is that all T7 battleships have that same thickness of armor. They all overmatch each other, so angling is crucial to success. 

 

Bismarck at that distance is nigh uncitadel-able. On German battleships instead of aiming for the waterline (which their armor is designed to fight against), aim for the upper belt, more towards the deck. You aren't gonna get any citadels, but you will get plenty of penatrations, and that damage hurts. Nagato and Colorado so not have the armor scheme to combat this type of hit, plus their armor is laid out differently, so a waterline shot is likely gonna citadel you or him.

 

My picture was simply found off of google image search. I was hunting down pictures and came across it.

 

That should help you out in any situation. 

Fair winds and following seas captain! :Smile_honoring:

It seems like tier 7 batteships are in a special place right now. Thank you for your lengthy replies to me being a derp and not doing research. The image is Prinz Eugen from Kantai Collection by the way. I wish I can find a way to thank you, but I'm quite broke right now. One more thing, on maps with a lot of cover, Kutuzov, Mogami and Myoko seems to just straight up melt me, when I do so much as attempt to shoot at them, they kite away. That has becoming increasingly frustrating for me. And yes, I run fire prevention, premium damage control, and damage control mod one and two, not to mention superintendent, but the damned fires...

Edited by tsunderekermit
Grammatical mistakes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
313
[SF-E]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
1,166 posts
13,758 battles

Actually, the German BB's are more easily citadel'd than you think. Between turrets 3 and 4, right below the water line. The only thing against you and the big hit is the RnGesus of dispersion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,708
[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
17 minutes ago, tsunderekermit said:

One more thing, on maps with a lot of cover, Kutuzov, Mogami and Myoko seems to just straight up melt me, When I do so much as attempt to shoot at them, they kite away. That has becoming increasingly frustrating for me.

Don't worry, I am well aware of the character Prinz Eugen is. :Smile_Default: 

There is no need to thank me, I am just happy to help.

 

That is kinda what Mogami, Myōkō, Ibuki do, Kutuzov less because of her smokescreen. The IJN cruisers, while stealthy, are very large and have tall sides easy to hit. They also don't have good enough armor to withstand heavy firepower. They rely on burning enemies, nuking cruisers with AP they forget they have, and kiting away all while wiggling and firing torpedoes from their excellent rearward arcs.

 

See, the IJN cruisers T6-9 all have stern facing torpedo tubes, and this limits the offensive capability of the torpedoes to retreating, or kiting. That said, their guns do work, as evidenced.

 

Don't get discouraged. That's just what they do, if they mess up, they get nuked. Pure and simple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
878 posts
8,968 battles

Dude, you're at 500 battles, watching Flamu (unicum) and studying to get better.  You're on the right track, no potato.  I hated Nagato for 2/3s of the grind.  I bought it twice after Yamato, first when Sharnhorst came out so I could pick on them and lately again just b/c it's a great ship once you play it right.  I've set it up for full secondaries for now, but I have a lot of ships and try not to have them all spec'd the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28
[APOC-]
Beta Testers
137 posts
7,233 battles

The Nagato was strange at first coming from the shotgun of the Fuso.  Going to the Rifle's of the Nag, knowing that I would be going back to a shotgun with the Amagi led me to struggle until for about the 1st 10-15 matches in her.  Once I figured out that I just needed to aim better rather than rely on throw-weight of the volume of rounds out she was impressive.  Once you grind through the Amagi you will have another change in styles with the Izumo, only to have yet another with the Yammy.  Amagi plays semi-like the Fuso, Izumo kind of like the Dunkirk and now the new RN BB with it's superfiring turrets.  And we'll the Yammy is big, and you have to plan what you want to do while you are loading in, as it is very hard to relocate once engaged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29
[S_B]
Members
415 posts
10,532 battles

Much preferred my Nagato over the Tier 6 Fuso and still have her in port. It's such a good ship the grind to the Amagi felt like a cake walk compared to some other Tier 7 to Tier 8 grinds. She's a keeper but the Amagi is even better!

 

If you're doing 75-125k damage most of the time you are playing the ship well.

Edited by dust340man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×