You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
n00bot

Smoke Changed? NERF RADAR.

74 comments in this topic

[PLPT]
Members
582 posts
6,499 battles

Well they've nerfed smoke... and even fewer people will play DDs now.

Radar was meant to counteract sitting in smoke, but now that all classes are more visible when firing out of smoke, the purpose of radar is greatly reduced.  We should nerf radar since there are now other nerfs to smoke.

There is now no excuse not to fix radar.  GOD VISION IS A BROKEN MECHANIC.

Also:
BB Weekend = everyone plays BBs
DD Weekend = everyone targets DDs

(edited to clarify my point)

Edited by n00bot
  • Cool 3

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

And you call BB players BBABies here is your baba and your binkie,momma will be there soon for you.

• Cool 7

[PLPT]
Members
582 posts
6,499 battles
1 minute ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

And you call BB players BBABies here is your baba and your binkie,momma will be there soon for you.

You sound like my friend's 10-year-old trying to be mean.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Supertester
7,520 posts
7,578 battles

Most DDs detection in smoke is going to be right around proxy spotting range. Where you'd be seen anyways if these changes weren't coming. So how exactly is it much different? Please, tell me how this is such a massive nerf.

• Cool 4

[FOXEH]
Members
556 posts
8,398 battles

Funny I could've sworn this barely effects DD's unless you've got a enemy less than 3km away and is primarily a BB nerf preventing them from firing undetected from smoke but hey what do I know.  

[PLPT]
Members
582 posts
6,499 battles
5 minutes ago, renegadestatuz said:

Most DDs detection in smoke is going to be right around proxy spotting range. Where you'd be seen anyways if these changes weren't coming. So how exactly is it much different? Please, tell me how this is such a massive nerf.

It's not so much that it's a DD nerf... Radar was meant to counteract sitting in smoke, but now that all classes are more visible when firing out of smoke, the purpose of radar is greatly reduced.  We should nerf radar since there are now other nerfs to smoke.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,916 posts
12,446 battles

Funny that someone whines about DD nerfs when it's CAs and BBs that get nerfed hardest with the changes. Oooo your DD is now spotted from 500m further out when shooting oooh such a nerf.

"But now nobody will smoke up allies!"

Meh, they rarely did that to begin with.

• Cool 6

[PLPT]
Members
582 posts
6,499 battles
6 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

The smoke changes don't really effect DDs much, looks like certain cruisers are going to suffer.

Yah Leander, for example, is going to get crushed.

Members
2,202 posts
6,190 battles
15 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

The smoke changes are primarily a BB nerf.

With a small RNCL nerf too *angrily shakes angry fist angrily*

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
19 minutes ago, renegadestatuz said:

Yeah, smoke changes nerf cruisers and BBs firing in smoke, not DDs.  Oh, well, DDs firing in smoke might be detected 500 meters further out, unless you're Khab or some of the other soviet designs that are OP.  

What this will change is cruisers and BBs hiding in smoke and not being spotted.  RN cruisers still have very modest detection ranges, 4-5km, many of them.  Others vary from 5.9 to 8.1, iirc.  BBs start around 11 or 12km for the 11 Inch gunned ones, and go clear up to Yamato at 29.7 km; i.e. Yamato can hide in smoke and heal, but fire main guns and will be spotted for 20 seconds.

[-VT3-]
Members
1,607 posts
3,346 battles
17 minutes ago, n00bot said:

It's not so much that it's a DD nerf... Radar was meant to counteract sitting in smoke, but now that all classes are more visible when firing out of smoke, the purpose of radar is greatly reduced.  We should nerf radar since there are now other nerfs to smoke.

"They're not nerfing me, but nerf my counter anyway."

Am I reading you correctly?  This smacks of someone who has been wanting a radar nerf for some time, and is simply using this as an excuse to justify it.  A very flimsy excuse, at that.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
6 minutes ago, 212thAttackBattalion said:

With a small RNCL nerf too *angrily shakes angry fist angrily*

Yeah, but you're talking less than 5 km range with gun bloom for most RN/Commonwealth cruisers vs 6-8km for most other cruisers.

Members
2,202 posts
6,190 battles
Just now, mavfin87 said:

Yeah, but you're talking less than 5 km range with gun bloom for most RN/Commonwealth cruisers vs 6-8km for most other cruisers.

Most other Cruisers dont have their entire playstyle based around their smoke though and short ranged guns. 3-4km should be where the RNCLs sit, not 5-6km bloom.

[-VT3-]
Members
1,607 posts
3,346 battles
Just now, mavfin87 said:

To be fair, Belfast has been due for a bit of a nerf since its release.  5.28 isn't much, but at least you won't have to get within ramming distance of the thing to charge it out of its smoke.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
5 minutes ago, 212thAttackBattalion said:

Most other Cruisers dont have their entire playstyle based around their smoke though and short ranged guns. 3-4km should be where the RNCLs sit, not 5-6km bloom.

Well, you can adapt, or quit.  Or whine, of course.  Also, it's not final at this point. 

To me, it doesn't make sense that a ~7000 ton Leander should be as difficult to see in smoke as a ~1500 ton Farragut.  (yes, rounded figures).  So, I think *some* nerf is indicated, but, you did get some adjustment toward the RN cruiser playstyle vs other cruisers.

Edited by mavfin87

[LANCE]
Members
291 posts
3,095 battles
26 minutes ago, Lert said:

Funny that someone whines about DD nerfs when it's CAs and BBs that get nerfed hardest with the changes. Oooo your DD is now spotted from 500m further out when shooting oooh such a nerf.

"But now nobody will smoke up allies!"

Meh, they rarely did that to begin with.

I regularly smoke up for allies but perhaps this'll make me be a little more selfish with my smoke. Perhaps it'll let me survive a little longer as there are times I've used my smoke for others and it then wasn't available to me.

its kind of a win, win as hopefully it'll stop the smoke camping BBs (which I hate when playing my BBs) and give me a little extra lifeline when I play my DDs :)

Members
2,274 posts
7,324 battles

DD play wont change that much, they still can sit in smoke. This is a nerf to BB that now wont be able to sit and camp inside smoke.

This can even be seen as a buff to DDs because they will be able to spot targets inside smoke. 

[USCC2]
Members
3,426 posts

Radar is still relevant as this will still flush out DDs who may be in smoke or trying to cap. I think it was a good addition to the game (it's the numbers that could become/are an issue?).

The new smoke changes are a mixed bag.

Nerf for all ships as they make spotting in smoke easier: DDs negligible; CAs need to be careful, and BBs basically can't really use it any more to fire from. However, all can still hide in it if not firing.

Could also be seen as a buff to DD damage as, although a DD isn't going to do much damage to a CA or BB that it sees in smoke I would assume it will benefit from spotting damage.

So no, on need to nerf radar (or complain about smoke changes if you are a DD).

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
1,816 posts
10,727 battles
59 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

The smoke changes don't really effect DDs much, looks like certain cruisers are going to suffer.

Plus WG is just too proud of the whole radar idea to take it away. :)