You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
OldFrog75

Armaments?

13 comments in this topic

Members
163 posts
411 battles

Preparing to make my first run with a Tier II - Torpedo DD.  Of course I have some beginner questions:

1.  Do Torpedoes reload automatically after firing or do you have to press the Torpedo Reload key in the Weapons Group (Control Settings)?

2.  How do you switch back and forth between firing Main Artillery and firing Torpedoes?  Is that also pressing the keys in Weapons Group (Control Settings)?

3.  The default Target Lock key is "X".  The training video says to press "X" to bring up the gray dynamic torpedo targeting cone.  If I rebind Target Lock to another key on my mouse or my keyboard, does that key also activate the targeting cone or do I still press "X" to activate that function after locking on the target?

Thanks.    

Edited by OldFrog75

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,264 posts

#1. Yes auto reload. 

#2. Press the desired weapon. DDs typically use HE so stab 1 key after torps launched. Alternatively - you can remap your "control keys" in settings. I have a button on my mouse assigned to torpedoes and another to HE. Works real nice. Oh - tapping torpedo switches to them, tapping it again changes the patter from wide to narrow or narrow to wide. 

Generally speaking, you can use wide spread when you're duking it out with another DD at 2 km or less. Narrow spread will spread out over the length of it's range but nothing like the wide spread. 

GL HF and welcome to the fold. 

• Cool 1

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,871 posts
10,411 battles

1-Reload is automatic. At later tiers on Japanese destroyers you will get a consumable that allows you to reload in 8 seconds.

2-Press 1, 2, or 3 to choose between HE, AP, and fishes

3-Yes

• Cool 1

Members
163 posts
411 battles
10 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

#2. Press the desired weapon. DDs typically use HE so stab 1 key after torps launched. Alternatively - you can remap your "control keys" in settings. I have a button on my mouse assigned to torpedoes and another to HE. Works real nice. Oh - tapping torpedo switches to them, tapping it again changes the patter from wide to narrow or narrow to wide. 

In the Weapons Group (Control Settings) what is the functionality difference between the first 3 buttons (Main HE, Main AP, Torpedo Spread) and the last 3 buttons (Main Battery, Torpedoes, Reload Torpedoes)?

And if I rebind Target Lock (default = "X") to another key, does that key now activate the Torp Targeting cone as well?

[S0L0]
Members
203 posts
5,266 battles
15 minutes ago, OldFrog75 said:

And if I rebind Target Lock (default = "X") to another key, does that key now activate the Torp Targeting cone as well?

Yes, the cone will target and track any ship that is locked.

Even targets out of range, unlike gun locks so make sure you tracking the right targets :P

Edited by JB_24

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,264 posts

shot-17_09.17_13_13.24-0662.thumb.jpg.1bd6b4b7f91a2b413894ea525cfdbe66.jpg

Look right side of screen, controls.

The left column shows all the default control  settings. Notice I have MB HE Shells as Mouse3 and Toggle Torpedo Spread as Mouse 6. 

This means my kb mappings remain the same 1, 2 and 3 work as always. I added the mouse buttons in the second column to make life easier for me - but I want the standard key mappings too. Sometimes it's easier to stab at a 1 than to reach the mouse button with my thumb. 

Target Lock (X) does indeed lock your weapons (MB or Torpedoes) onto the target. As long as the key you "rebind" to that option is not used for something else then yes, it would activate the target cone.

As a note - I asked them for a long, long time to give us [SPACEBAR] as an option to fire the selected weapons group. Once you get used to doing it (for MB mostly) it's a God-send. Far steadier shots can be had using the spacebar. 

[-K-]
Beta Testers
2,440 posts
8,653 battles
53 minutes ago, OldFrog75 said:

Preparing to make my first run with a Tier II - Torpedo DD.  Of course I have some beginner questions:

1.  Do Torpedoes reload automatically after firing or do you have to press the Torpedo Reload key in the Weapons Group (Control Settings)?

2.  How do you switch back and forth between firing Main Artillery and firing Torpedoes?  Is that also pressing the keys in Weapons Group (Control Settings)?

3.  The default Target Lock key is "X".  The training video says to press "X" to bring up the gray dynamic torpedo targeting cone.  If I rebind Target Lock to another key on my mouse or my keyboard, does that key also activate the targeting cone or do I still press "X" to activate that function after locking on the target?

Thanks.    

A couple notes that haven't been brought up:

1. The only ships that are able to manually reload torp tubes are the British cruisers and Gallant due to the single firing launchers. You can partially fire these (as in one or two torps in a launcher of three) and then decide to either fire off your remaining torps from the launcher or manual reload. Also note that by default this key is the same for recalling planes to your carrier when playing one.
  2. Currently it doesn't matter if you hit the one or two key when switching from torpedoes to guns. You will select your guns and have whatever ammo type you had selected before you swapped to torps. Say you had HE loaded and wanted AP after switching from torps; you will need to triple tap the 2 key. Once for torps to guns, twice to select AP for the next load, and a third time to immediately start reloading AP. This is a nice feature as before you needed to remember what ammo you had loaded and it was easy to select the opposite ammo type after switching from torps (i.e. muscle memory from DDs could result in selecting HE when playing Tirpitz and then being surprised that you've shot HE on your second salvo after switching from torps).

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,320 posts
14,645 battles
33 minutes ago, JB_24 said:

Yes, the cone will target and track any ship that is locked.

Even targets out of range, unlike gun locks so make sure you tracking the right targets :P

Just this is useful...  I frequently use this on torp equip ships to see which direction a ship behind an island is going and how fast.  Also, you can apply psychological pressure to a ship by locking it up out of range, this sometimes makes them change course.  If I am tracking a ship I usually only lock up a couple of times briefly so he doesn't see me actively tracking him.

• Cool 1

[LOU1]
Members
2,840 posts
7,967 battles

This one is also old, but pretty good.  If you watch any YouTube videos, pay attention to the date.  A lot of features changed in January 2017.

Members
4,730 posts
5,459 battles
6 minutes ago, Warped_1 said:

Just this is useful...  I frequently use this on torp equip ships to see which direction a ship behind an island is going and how fast.  Also, you can apply psychological pressure to a ship by locking it up out of range, this sometimes makes them change course.  If I am tracking a ship I usually only lock up a couple of times briefly so he doesn't see me actively tracking him.

The Priority Target skill only tracks when you're locked on by guns. It does not tell you if someone is locked on with torps selected.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,320 posts
14,645 battles
9 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

The Priority Target skill only tracks when you're locked on by guns. It does not tell you if someone is locked on with torps selected.

Seriously?!?  Crap, thought it was any time you were actually targeted...   Grrr. Thanks for info.