Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
MrRipper

Lack of counter play against bbs at t10 is really irksome

17 comments in this topic

[Q50]
Members
4 posts
2,027 battles

Hey all, got my des moines recently but i have been having a bit of trouble playing it when my division mates arent around. To me it seems like the only way to fight battleships is to either hide in smoke or hide behind and island. It has been bothering me alot that there is no counter play available to me besides hiding with my tail between my legs due to the fact that even small caliber t10 bb guns (406+) overpen the bow. Is this intended? is there anyway to mitigate some of this damage besides just hiding? To be honest it seems a bit unfair to me that battleships are guaranteed penetrations even when sitting at incredibly steep angles just because I dared show my face. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how i might be able to mitigate some damage without using island armor or smoke?

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

you know most bbs take 30 seconds to reload, right? So just float around at 12 to 14km from the bb to avoid secondaries and lash them with HE. Cannot tell you how often that happens. It's infuriating, especially if more than one red is firing on you. And remember: 

Speed is life. 

[KNTAI]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,106 posts

Kiting at range works. Burn them to the ground, etc.

Only problem is DM doesn't really have the range, so it's a struggle. Consider picking up Zao or Hindenburg. DM, with its best in class and best in game AA (When DF is active), coupled with radar, is really more of a support ship.

[Q50]
Members
4 posts
2,027 battles

Hey guys thanks for the replies. Herr_reitz I have become aware of the long reload time of battleships but even at range I have a hard time avoiding BB shells. Do you have any ticks or trips to help with the kiting process to avoid incoming fire?

WoWS Wiki Editor
7,205 posts
6,433 battles
29 minutes ago, MrRipper said:

Hey guys thanks for the replies. Herr_reitz I have become aware of the long reload time of battleships but even at range I have a hard time avoiding BB shells. Do you have any ticks or trips to help with the kiting process to avoid incoming fire?

Just to have it said, equip the Rudder module that costs 1 million Credits.

Get a feeling for when they will fire. When they are about to fire maintain a very sharp angle (your front guns won't be able to fire, deal with it). The second they fire you turn into the other direction (so that your front guns would have to rotate 270° before being able to fire at the target). Make sure to use different maneuvers, don't be predictable.

[PLPT]
Members
9,915 posts
10,297 battles

DM is better for DD and cruiser killin..... if you are having issues, the above tips are all good... WASD is the best thing to learn when against a BB.... especially in the short range DM... I unlocked mine but have not purchased it yet. I prefer the Zao and hindy for my cruiser fun... and MOskva mini BB....I would like to try the Minotaur as well

[-K-]
Beta Testers
1,791 posts
7,765 battles

There is nothing directly you can do against BBs lolpenning your bow. It's all about your positioning.

Carefully choose location where you will not grab too much attention, use Islands and kite. You should run range mod and be able to hit BBs and some cruisers at max range.

When necessary engage them in brawl, basically anything can evaporate to your 8" SHS AP shell.

[DD214]
Members
757 posts

Have had reasonable luck with New Orleans, the Henri IV and her T-8 and 9 sister ships are better at it. They don't have the conceal or RADAR though you do get torpedoes.

[TSPC]
Members
173 posts
6,271 battles

Things that don't work

- Kiting does not really work for extended periods of time in the DM - the ship's acceleration is far too weak - occasional juking does work but should not be overused

- The DM does have really good turning performance which can be used - but again bleeds off a lot of speed

- Shooting at long range does not work against anything that is not a battleship - or cruiser or dd who does not react to shells - rare at t10

Things that work

- Not getting spotted/unable to get shot at - smoke, islands - as mentioned - using the ok concealment - to drop off when focused

- Sticking with your team - so it is less likely to get focused - works even w/out smoke or islands provided you aren't too far in front and aren't showing broadside

- Bait bbs to shoot casemate instead of bow - yes still pen dmg but at least you aren't getting citadelled

- Mitigate risk - turning while concealed that kind of stuff

- Run dreadnought flag - this is surprisingly useful

- Avoiding close range engagements with bbs unless you know you can outplay them/kill them quickly/has sufficient team support 

- Knowing when to GTFO - ship is rather slow so this is quite useful - Some BBs can 'in practice' - ie when you are maneuvering to avoid dmg - catch up to this thing

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,574 posts
14,010 battles

Unless you can lose yourself in a crowd of ships, engaging BBs and Cruisers at range, in open water is a death wish in DM.  Even then if you lose yourself in a crowd, there are sharply observant players that will take note of you even in that mix.

They see a Cruiser at high tier.  "It needs to be squished.  Is that a DM?... Oh f--k yeah, delete it, it has no armor."  Any of those high tier BBs, even the VIII's, can instantly end your world, so open water engagements are terrible for DM.

Which is why you need to make love to those islands like it's cool.  They are what shields you from the nasty, super long ranged, accurate gunfire at high tiers.  Even the guns of the other Tier X Cruisers can easily wreck you given the chance, so cling to those islands and find one that you can lob shells over.  This is what Atlanta users have to do to get by.

Now, if someone wants to come into your island playground, then feel free to switch on that Predator Mode.  Most especially if you slot Hydro also to go with your Radar... Nobody sneaks around against DM like that, only Hindenburg is just as nasty in a close range knife fight.

Members
7 posts
6,917 battles

What is wrong with "tail between legs" hiding in smokes, around islands? There are a lot of islands. DM has high arc, shoot over them.

Is it right that Des Moinse or CA in general gets wreck in open water left, right, center or from the [edited]? Yes, I think that is very much "working as intended." I don't think CAs are intended to be played mano-a-mano against a BB in a general open water fight.

[SYN]
Members
14,366 posts
10,224 battles
3 hours ago, Slashdot said:

What is wrong with "tail between legs" hiding in smokes, around islands? There are a lot of islands. DM has high arc, shoot over them.

Is it right that Des Moinse or CA in general gets wreck in open water left, right, center or from the [edited]? Yes, I think that is very much "working as intended." I don't think CAs are intended to be played mano-a-mano against a BB in a general open water fight.

Okinawa, Tears, Ocean says hi

[CVA16]
Members
2,169 posts
9,616 battles
5 hours ago, MrDeaf said:

True, many maps require a cruiser to have some sort of open water capability.  Unfortunately, MOST cruisers don't have such a capability in which case you have to rely on RNG or the red team focusing on somebody else. In most  battles cruisers are "more popular" targets than DDs when spotted since they can be reliably hit at longer ranges and are much easier to kill than a BB.

Members
7 posts
6,917 battles
23 hours ago, MrDeaf said:

Did you know on Okinawa the northern portion of the island between A and B is perfect for shooting over? If you spawned from South, once you have won A, you get to park at A and fire down the at a whole row of parked BBs

[FML]
Members
167 posts
6,203 battles

HE?  No, you've been playing it wrong.  Only HE vs destroyers.  Your AP overpen damage is way more useful.  It also rips anything that shows side.  I once did a 15k salvo to a kurfurst at 13km since the arc landed them on the deck.  Aim at the superstructure and pull the trigger, with bad aim youll land yourself at least 1k(two bullets hit), and thats every 5.5 seconds.

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles

There are times to HE. Generally over an island at long range.

You do best against BBs at point blank range with AP, ideally with their turrets pointing the wrong direction. If a BB is giving you side they get one shot, maybe two. 

Every volley will be 10k+ which doesn't sound like that much, but at worst you get 6 volleys for their one. If you're running AR (and you should) or the reload mod (you should) then that will be even higher.

Des Moines is terrible for kiting, but literally nothing in the game can match it at short range mayhem.  The closest is Hindy with stupid numbers of torps and good guns, but it's a pretty distant second.

Sign in to follow this