You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
OldFrog75

Team Damage?

10 comments in this topic

Members
163 posts
411 battles

I'm trying to get a handle on the team damage parameters for turning Pink or being banned.  So far I've accidentally shot teammates (and received the appropriate automatic in game warnings) 3 times out of 93 battles.  The damage has been minimal and fines have not been very substantial (less than 5 XP each time) and I assume the automated system evaluates both extent of damage and frequency of damage but WG keeps the details secret.

I Google searched the topic and found one post from last year that posited Pink is generally applied to those who damage teammates in more than 10% of their battles.  Does that sound accurate?

Edited by OldFrog75

Members
9,862 posts

The exact details are a highly guarded secret.

A kill for any amount of damage will get you the pink tutu automatically.

If you accumulate enough damage in a game, you'll also turn pink, that exact number is unknown. It is probably a percentage of the total damage to a ship, but that's just a guess.

Members
3,407 posts
6,070 battles

No one knows for sure...  It is a % of damage you have given out in general vs damage to friendlies.  Don't believe it has anything to do with the percentage of battles.  Rubbing ships won't make you pink unless you do it all of the time early in the account.

[CUTE]
Members
155 posts
12,366 battles

Team killing/Team damage shouldn't be a thing. Period.  This is a stupid mechanic.  When you get pink for air dropping torps trying to save a friendly from a destroyer and your friendly derps into one of them to take 1k damage and die.  I don't see why WG can't just rip the piece of code they use in scenario battles and apply it to every other game mode to negate any and all team damage.

[DETN8]
Beta Testers
760 posts
5,795 battles

I don't think they even factor team rams since the amount of damage inflicted is usually quite minor. Furthermore, as an example, I was playing my Kutz in smoke and was stationary at the time when a friendly DD ran into me while trying to evade incoming fire. He died due to the ram damage inflicted upon himself but I didn't turn pink. Therefore, I believe they might consider friendly ramming as incidental damage. Otherwise, I believe it's some % of damage, either % of total HP or % of HP remaining.

[DETN8]
Beta Testers
760 posts
5,795 battles
3 minutes ago, Icecaptain said:

Team killing/Team damage shouldn't be a thing. Period.  This is a stupid mechanic.  When you get pink for air dropping torps trying to save a friendly from a destroyer and your friendly derps into one of them to take 1k damage and die.  I don't see why WG can't just rip the piece of code they use in scenario battles and apply it to every other game mode to negate any and all team damage.

There needs to be a penalty for team damage and/or team killing to avoid the game being filled with trolls who simply go around and TK everyone on their team. While you're pink, all team damage is reflected onto yourself and although we sometimes turn pink due to unforeseen circumstances, it does prove to be an adequate deterrent for the TK trolls. I have no problem with the current TK penalty.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,276 battles
10 minutes ago, Icecaptain said:

I'm generally fairly generous when it comes to thinking that some elements of team damage should be removed.  However, I'm sorry, but you shouldn't have dropped those CV torpedoes so close to a friendly. you really shouldn't fire any weapon if it's possible that it will kill him if the shot misses the enemy and hits the friendly.  I will say that if the friendly and the enemy are both low health, there is a temptation to go for the enemy on the theory that the friendly will probably die otherwise.  And I'd find it hard to fault someone for at least trying to save the friendly.  But with torps, the potential damage you can inflict is just too great to take such risky shots around friendlies.  Of course, sometimes accidents happen.

Members
2,156 posts
4,848 battles
18 minutes ago, Icecaptain said:

no.

team damage provides more depth to the game. can't just spam your torps into a brawl. and you can't just hide behind your friendly battleship to spam HE at the enemy. the only reason they removed it from scenarios is due to the number of allied bots that don't know the difference. if scenarios were PVP, they would have team damage on guaranteed.

as for OP, i think the 10% number is from the warning/ban system. i don't know the % that is required to actually turn pink. but from the sounds of it, you've been pretty careful. just keep the cautious attitude and you'll be perfectly fine.

Edited by MidnightShamalan

Members
163 posts
411 battles
9 minutes ago, MidnightShamalan said:

as for OP, i think the 10% number is from the warning/ban system. i don't know the % that is required to actually turn pink. but from the sounds of it, you've been pretty careful. just keep the cautious attitude and you'll be perfectly fine.

Thanks for the encouragement.  In WoT they have an award called Battle Buddy which is awarded for not injuring a teammate in 50 consecutive battles so being careful is somewhat reinforced, along with turning Blue (rather than Pink).

Edited by OldFrog75

[PSP]
Members
6,038 posts
8,580 battles

Actual teamkillers are rare as hen's teeth. Most team damage is accidental. I see pink ships in at least half of my matches, especially lower-tier ones. I've turned pink a few times now through sheer accident. In fact, this morning I was trying to get one of the "kill two bots" WOWS 2nd Anniversary collectables and a bot on my team merrily reversed course and headed straight for my torps. It really didn't bother me turning pink and nobody said a thing in the five games it took change back.