You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ChubbyCVEGambierBaaayyyy

Zao help

15 comments in this topic

Members
3,832 posts
7,757 battles

Hey~! so i just got zao today (after beginning at 150k xp away from zao i grinded hard and basically got 150k xp today. irony is the supercontainer i got from using zao gave me 50k free xp. wth) so i was wondering if anyone had some tips. i think i know how to play her but help is much appreciated

Spoiler

59bdae755037e_ScreenShot2017-09-16at5_52_46PM.thumb.png.4d5160cb23d8bcf0ff61bd08c629373d.png

Members
448 posts
7,474 battles
28 minutes ago, pmgaudio said:

#1 FIRE HE......

#2 WASD...... 

This is basic but accurate, at least early in the match. Your guns are lasers and enemy BBs will struggle to return effective fire at 15km if you are aware of who is targeting you and dodging. Set the world on fire!

Later in the match you can be a bit more aggressive - push in a little closer and use torps, hunt DDs with hydro, or use your AP on broadside cruisers. FWIW the armor if angled properly is actually pretty decent for a cruiser.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

[PLPT]
Members
9,915 posts
10,293 battles
5 minutes ago, Dr_Powderfinger said:

This is basic but accurate, at least early in the match. Your guns are lasers and enemy BBs will struggle to return effective fire at 15km if you are aware of who is targeting you and dodging. Set the world on fire!

Later in the match you can be a bit more aggressive - push in a little closer and use torps, hunt DDs with hydro, or use your AP on broadside cruisers. FWIW the armor if angled properly is actually pretty decent for a cruiser.

indeed.... and you MUST have PT as a first tier skill.... there have been some intense discussions about it at length when the skills first came out.... and ALL my cruisers and DDs have this skill.... Hindy, Zao, Moskva.... Khab..... if you KNOW you are targetd you can make manuvers and stop firing and go stealth for a while....
so as said by me and the poster above.... HE the hell out of them and KNOW you are targeted... you will thank me later for that skill.... it WILL change the way you play the game... and the cruisers...

[CK5]
Members
780 posts
6,177 battles

The Zao's strength is long range HE as mentioned by several others.  Resist the temptation to push early in a match even if you are getting a lot of crap from team mates in chat about being a "coward".  Wait until you see an opening first and then move in,  preferably along with a couple of other ships.  The Zao has terrific guns but a loooong reload time, slow traversing turrets and a rainbow turning radius.  None of those features are good for knife fights.  Stay at arm's length and punish enemies.    

Edit:  By the way, definitely get Aiming Systems Mod 1.  The 7% reduction in dispersion seems to make a big difference in long range shooting for the Zao.  

Edited by PrairiePlayer

Members
7,047 posts
4,534 battles

The key to playing the Zao in my opinion, is to not be too passive or too aggressive. A lot of people tend to stick to the long range HE spamming too much. 

[R-R-R]
Members
969 posts
6,394 battles

Early game, you want to follow DD closely to a cap. You have amazing concealment and alpha HE  and can devastate most DDs with your first vollely.

After you are spotted, you will be the focus target. So you want to maneuver as the ship turns well and has good armor. If there is too much focus fire, get back into concealment. 

During mid game, you mostly want to HE spam to prevent enemy BBs pushing. Burn the world as hard as you can.

At late game, you want to play careful as Zao is not a good brawler. But as long as you can get into a kiting position, yon can take on any opponent. Also don't forget your strong AP and fast torps. They can really surprise some enemy.

[GRRR]
[GRRR]
Members
586 posts
20,544 battles

I used to be sub 50% in Zao but averaged like 120k damage. Not one to cherish damage so much any more, I too was wondering what to do, Then I started to aggressively push up to the caps just behind my DD's, abusing my 9.7 km concealment and checking fire at the first BB's and cruisers to show, turning out and waiting for that 1st DD. When that DD shows, slam 12 8" shells right over the head of your friendly DD and right into that 1st DD. Spool up your engines immediately and engage all targets but DD's first if they are under 13 km, a very hitable  distance. Go dark if you have to live, and engage generally after that. My damage is down to 100k but my win rate is heading north. The key here is to make your Zao more of an impact cruiser and less of a damage cruiser.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,543 posts
13,992 battles

Not a Zao Expert but play it enough to see some things, a well as of course facing her as an opponent.

Zao's armor is trollish.  There are times where you'd think, "I'm gong to die this BB salvo," but 'lo and behold, you're still around and in good health.  There are times when you're doing WASD Hax, Angling, using range as safety buffers against BB gunfire.  Despite all those precautions, some BB still nails you at range, ripping 80% of your HP in one go from Full HP.

It seems like Zao's armor is better the closer you are.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  When playing a BB and a Zao suddenly shows up and it's less than 10km, panic sets in.  A charging Zao is really stubborn to take down, esp. if they have a good HP buffer to take that initial salvo.  They'll angle to bounce BB AP, or at least mitigate the worst of the AP salvo, and then literally sail up to you and feed you a set of F3 Torp Launcher X2.  NO BB SURVIVES THAT, not even Yamato with her fabulous HP and high TDS.

It's very easy to fall into "Only Spam HE" mode with Zao.  For quite a bit of fighting, that may be the best answer, esp. when punishing BBs at range.  However, use AP at the right time.  Zao AP is underrated and punishing when given the chance.  Don't just HE that Cruiser, plant some AP.  See that German superstructure?  You got a side angle and see good hull profile?  Punish it with AP!

Also, Zao's range, esp. with GFCS2 upgrade, is very respectable.  But what really makes Zao's gunnery among the best in the game is that shell velocity.  I remember when the RU Cruisers came out with their "Russian Railguns" people seem to have forgotten Zao was already our first, bonafide high velocity, long range terror Cruiser.  Zao Lazorz lets her pull off hits at range where numerous others have difficulty.  This is absolutely great in finishing retreating ships that have built up range to get away, and ready to "disappear" into stealth.  Nail that f--ker with HE and burn his @ss!  You may just get him with fires!  Also, Zao Lazorz are also one of the best Anti-DD weapons in the game.  The combination of low shell arcs, high velocity shells, and IJN CA quality HE damage and super high fire chance makes her very dangerous to any DD.  The shells hit DDs hard, more importantly, they're easier to connect with.  Don't be afraid taking 15km or so shots on DDs... Zao will surprise you.  Other Cruisers you may say, "That's a low hit chance."  But Zao's guns make it a decent prospect.

Lastly, though it's very easy to get into HE spam, firing your guns every moment they come off reload, you need to know when it's time to stop firing, use that fabulous concealment range, and go back into hiding, and retreat, reposition.  When I really screw things up with Zao, it's because I get too greedy and not know until it's too late when it's time to cut my losses, hide, recover, and fight again later.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[-I-]
Members
721 posts
8,136 battles

Nobody expects the Zao AP Inquisition.

Edited by h_balck
  • Cool 1

Members
878 posts
8,950 battles
On 16/09/2017 at 5:57 PM, Aduial said:

The key to playing the Zao in my opinion, is to not be too passive or too aggressive. A lot of people tend to stick to the long range HE spamming too much. 

I'm way to agro, get focused and yolo die like a noob atago.  I really need to get more conservative again in almost all my ships.  Long range HE spam is good for healing tho. 

Members
139 posts
2,312 battles

In the right situations, the Zao is very good at following about 4km behind a DD that pushes the cap.  The reason you want to be about 4km behind your DD is that you will become spotted around the same time your friendly DD spots the enemy ship.  It also gets you close enough to see if there are a bunch of battleships behind the cap so you can pull back before getting destroyed.  If there aren't many battleships protecting the enemy DD that's pushing, you can wipe out any t10 DD with two well aimed HE salvos.  It's super effective.

Members
878 posts
8,950 battles
On 10/10/2017 at 11:43 PM, WidochMeirker said:

In the right situations, the Zao is very good at following about 4km behind a DD that pushes the cap.  The reason you want to be about 4km behind your DD is that you will become spotted around the same time your friendly DD spots the enemy ship.  It also gets you close enough to see if there are a bunch of battleships behind the cap so you can pull back before getting destroyed.  If there aren't many battleships protecting the enemy DD that's pushing, you can wipe out any t10 DD with two well aimed HE salvos.  It's super effective.

Caught u quoting recent Flamu vid?