You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lert

So what is an ocean journey actually like?

23 comments in this topic

[NDA]
Supertester
4,771 posts
13,562 battles
1 minute ago, nuttybiscuit said:

Need a good movie collection and onboard library.

Or just a really good internet connection than you can complain about playing the Ocean map while Crossing an Ocean lol. 

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Supertester, Supertest Coordinator
11,944 posts
3,863 battles

Last time I went out on the ocean I got seasick.

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,440 posts
6,631 battles
8 minutes ago, Goose21891 said:

I got very drunk and very sick, somewhere between Holyhead in North Wales and Dublin, in a very rough Irish Sea. Possibly the nastiest stretch of saltwater anywhere on planet earth. Luckily it did not last 30 days, but it felt like 12 years/

Members
2,378 posts
2,171 battles

Everything is so pretty. Amazing how nice the night sky looks with minimal light pollution. Also fun to see little boats zooming around and the various lights drifting about in the sea. 

[PVE]
Members
5,305 posts
17,730 battles

Coming back from the first Gulf War, we sailed from the Persian Gulf, hit a few ports, and crossed the Pacific to end up in San Fran. Being at sea is a lot less noisy than the game (talking weather). Sometimes the sea gets rough or you get storms, but for the most part is very quiet. The noise you get used to is the "hum" of the engines which is less a sound and more a feeling/vibration. Never been one to get motion sickness so being at sea was no big thing for me. I used to sit in a wheelchair in sick call when the waves were up and just roll across the floor back and forth. That didn't help the seasick ones at all but life at sea can be boring so you find stuff to entertain yourself. 

The big things about being at sea for me were just how quiet it all is and how dark night can be on the ocean. It also gives you a great idea of scale, the ocean is just so massive, that it really makes you feel like a tiny speck. The best things about it are the people you learn to depend on, almost like family. In the Navy we always use the term "shipmate" and it actually means something there. 

The other thing about the sea is just how empty it all looks. All you ever see is water. Understand this, you see more "rocks" in a 20 minute game of WoWS than I did in 5-6 months at sea. If someone sees something in the water, it causes everyone to come look as it is really rare. If someone sees lights on the horizon at night, everyone comes to look. If someone sees fish, everyone comes to look. If someone sees trash, everyone comes to look. Yes it is kinda boring but it is what we did before the internet and cell phones when you are sailing. 

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Supertester
18,902 posts
12,435 battles
1 minute ago, Chobittsu said:

Hoooooonk

PjP1RDC.jpg

[DOOP]
Members
856 posts
2,435 battles
4 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

:)

Being on deck at night during blue water ops was an experience that can't be dulicated in civilian life. 360° of of horizon to horizon stars on a blacked out ship will always stay with me.

Fair winds, shipmate.

[WOLF1]
Members
619 posts
12,920 battles

Best thing I ever saw out on the ocean happened when I was 15 fishing with my dad in the gulf stream off cape hatteras about 50-60 miles offshore on his friends 21 ft boat.  We ran through some thunderstorms then stopped and my dads friend goes hey check out those waterspouts. I look and there are sister waterspouts about 50 yards away. Needless to say someones ahole got a little tight..mine. 

Members
687 posts
3,667 battles

As a kid raised in the flatlands of the Great Plains, there were basically two dreams worth dreaming - mountains and ocean.  I got the chance to live both at some extreme.  I like the fact that those memories are bioanalog and stuck in my head.  They can only be shown around campfires, quiet pubs, and in bedrooms.  Shared via storytelling skills soon to be altered by the digital age of man.  It's a beautiful video...I wish I knew why it makes me a little sad.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,557 posts
14,005 battles
On 9/16/2017 at 4:04 PM, Goose21891 said:

When I was still in the USMC, for a time I was in a mixed Marine / Navy training squadron.  We regularly were out on a Carrier.  One of the Sailors that worked for me was a young guy (E3, AEAN, IIRC).  I remember when the ship was finally underway in open ocean for training, I found this poor guy hunched over the rails at the catwalk outside.

He was seasick on one of the Navy's largest, most stable vessels and it wasn't even stormy at all.  And he joined the Navy! :cap_old:

But that's okay.  I've known some Sailors who have never been on a ship before.  P-3 Orion personnel!  There was one Senior Chief in our Maintenance Dept that had never been on any boat in his life.  He had been from P-3 Airframes.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[BB-57]
Members
122 posts
7,387 battles

Aye, lots of water, and you only see the top of it.

Crossed the Pacific 8 times, Indian Ocean 6.  North to Alaska, South to Tasmania, East to Calif., West to Kenya.

Last time in '94... I do miss it.

[RKLES]
Members
7,093 posts
8,733 battles

Went on a nice cruise and it turned out to be hilarious since my sister who loves to go on any roller coaster over and over and I get feeling sick just thinking about it, well day 1 of the cruise she is the one feeling sick and I am having the time of my life lol talk about ironic.

Even one of the days the sea got rough and we had one of the stabilizers fail so Deck was tilting at what I considered fun angles did not bother me and the swimmIng pool had some fun waves, they had some nets that they put in  the pool edges I think for safety when that happened.

[WOLFX]
Beta Testers
226 posts
7,481 battles
20 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

When I was still in the USMC, for a time I was in a mixed Marine / Navy training squadron.  We regularly were out on a Carrier.  One of the Sailors that worked for me was a young guy (E3, AEAN, IIRC).  I remember when the ship was finally underway in open ocean for training, I found this poor guy hunched over the rails at the catwalk outside.

He was seasick on one of the Navy's largest, most stable vessels and it wasn't even stormy at all.  And he joined the Navy! :cap_old:

But that's okay.  I've known some Sailors who have never been on a ship before.  P-3 Orion personnel!  There was one Senior Chief in our Maintenance Dept that had never been on any boat in his life.  He had been from P-3 Airframes.

The cruiser I was on, we had a Missile tech who couldn't get over his sea sickness. Every time we left the dock he just got deathly sick and never figured it out.

All the money they spent training that guy, and they had to give him a medical discharge. C'est la vie.

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
224 posts
1,959 battles

Many of my relatives spent their careers on cargo ships, going from port to port.  Houston, Manila, Tokyo, the list goes on.  I, on the other hand, spend my days in the land-locked top of Texas, but I do miss the open seas.  It's been decades since I've gone, but I still remember the sensation of being on the open water.  I guess my family was made up of natural sailors.

[WGA]
[WGA]
1,117 posts
3,386 battles

My dad used to bring back home videos like this, but he never recorded through the whole voyage. He was an engineer who worked in the engine room of an oil tanker. 

Amazing video.