Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MrKillmister

Domination mode - playing for A and C caps

22 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
3,293 posts
7,966 battles

If there's one mistake I see over and over again that proves the widespread idiocy of the player base it has to be teams that divide to fight for opposite capture zone.  The lack of common sense is almost amazing.  It's as though roughly a third to half of the player base has never heard of or doesn't understand the meaning of divided and conquered.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34
[AR15]
Members
280 posts
6,075 battles
9 minutes ago, lemekillmister said:

If there's one mistake I see over and over again that proves the widespread idiocy of the player base it has to be teams that divide to fight for opposite capture zone.  The lack of common sense is almost amazing.  It's as though roughly a third to half of the player base has never heard of or doesn't understand the meaning of divided and conquered.  

 

 

I see this a lot on Shatter and Mountain Range in particular

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,731 posts
5,464 battles
7 minutes ago, RevBC said:

I see this a lot on Shatter and Mountain Range in particular

Mountain Range is a bad map to play A and C on. Best strat for Mountain Range is to go for B/C, since fire support can be limited from A/B to either cap, and when the enemy team finally realizes they need to push for a second objective, they end up bottle-necked trying to move from A to B in between the line of tall islands.

Shatter, on the other hand, has a better chance with that strategy. Teams can quickly collapse if they push into B too soon, because there's no room to effectively maneuver. Each team is better off securing A or C, and delaying the other two caps from the other team, or hope you have confident destroyers and CLs that can quickly take B, as opposition is usually reluctant to push in and retake B cap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,293 posts
7,966 battles
15 minutes ago, RevBC said:

I see this a lot on Shatter and Mountain Range in particular

 

I find this to be more problematic on Tears of the Desert and Neighbors. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34
[AR15]
Members
280 posts
6,075 battles
Just now, lemekillmister said:

 

I find this to be more problematic on Tears of the Desert and Neighbors. 

Tears of the Desert is just poorly designed. Pushing into B, especially with radar and/or CVs, is a death sentence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,293 posts
7,966 battles
Just now, RevBC said:

Tears of the Desert is just poorly designed. Pushing into B, especially with radar and/or CVs, is a death sentence.

 

I think you mean without, right?  

 

Playing for A and C is virtually a guaranteed loss on Tears.  

 

In domination mode I'm a firm proponent of what I refer to as sweeping the table - working as a unified force from one side then over and through B cap, typically with a wedged or angled front line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,293 posts
7,966 battles

IMO, how your team works together, choosing the best priority objectives, is generally much more important than how good your ship is.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34
[AR15]
Members
280 posts
6,075 battles
4 minutes ago, lemekillmister said:

 

I think you mean without, right?  

 

Playing for A and C is virtually a guaranteed loss on Tears.  

 

In domination mode I'm a firm proponent of what I refer to as sweeping the table - working as a unified force from one side then over and through B cap, typically with a wedged or angled front line.

I should have been clearer. If the other team has radar and/or there are CVs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34
[AR15]
Members
280 posts
6,075 battles
2 minutes ago, LaffeyKaiNi said:

shot-15.07.08_16.20.png

Is this seriously a bug? It forgot to load "D"? LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,293 posts
7,966 battles
28 minutes ago, RevBC said:

I should have been clearer. If the other team has radar and/or there are CVs

 

Oh yeah, for sure.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0
[JURAI]
Members
5 posts
6,115 battles
17 minutes ago, LaffeyKaiNi said:

shot-15.07.08_16.20.png

Oh those diagonal spawns!  I'd kinda like to play that mode again, just like once or twice.

18 minutes ago, RevBC said:

Is this seriously a bug? It forgot to load "D"? LOL.

That's how Hotspot was back in the beta days.  Teams spawned diagonally.  It was chaotic and not well received.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,293 posts
7,966 battles
20 minutes ago, RevBC said:

Is this seriously a bug? It forgot to load "D"? LOL.

 

I believe that's a piece of early WoWS history.  Fitting for the 2nd anniversary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
375
[KOZ]
Beta Testers
1,485 posts
1,186 battles
31 minutes ago, RevBC said:

Is this seriously a bug? It forgot to load "D"? LOL.

No, that's old Hotspot.

The good ole "sucks to be a CV today" map.

CVs started in spotting range of enemy battleships, the spawns were diagonal, there was more asteroid field to pardon, and if both teams decide to charge forward from their spawn [which were sectioned by islands, you'd get a clusterfuck in the middle, and IIRC, the Encounter gametype could happen on that map with the center of the map being the cap. [TBF it wasn't just CVs and BBs lit along the middle line of split, DDs also started lit]

 

The old layout is why Hotspot had that "Go West" tactic that quickly became exemplar of "how to lose by CCing your own Team" when they fixed up the map.

Edited by AirshipCanon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
353
[CUTER]
[CUTER]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,607 posts
8,789 battles

you would hate to see people go D, or a battleship going into A.

456457.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34
[AR15]
Members
280 posts
6,075 battles
4 minutes ago, LaffeyKaiNi said:

you would hate to see people go D, or a battleship going into A.

456457.jpg

I miss the old Islands of Ice :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
375
[KOZ]
Beta Testers
1,485 posts
1,186 battles
21 minutes ago, LaffeyKaiNi said:

you would hate to see people go D, or a battleship going into A.

456457.jpg

Battleships could go through A, but that's DD alley down there. If the DDs were pushed out [it's Carrier hell down there too] it'd be all sorts of hilarious to see a BB go through A and ruin Cruisers near there.

A though was also the home of Kitakami, it was a very bad place to be with the Lesboat afoot. It could hide in there, and throw down 2 20 Torp Skill walls that delete DDs and CAs.

 

 

10 minutes ago, Nighthawk_604 said:

 

There is no meaning behind Divided and Conquered

There is, it's a strategy in the "How to: Lose" section.

 

But yes, outside of solo ninja caps, teams should commit to two adjacent caps, because splitting your force is a bad idea. Similarly, on Domination matches where you can circle [E.G. Two brothers] it's better to full commit to one side.

Edited by AirshipCanon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
26 posts
8,423 battles
36 minutes ago, AirshipCanon said:

Battleships could go through A, but that's DD alley down there. If the DDs were pushed out [it's Carrier hell down there too] it'd be all sorts of hilarious to see a BB go through A and ruin Cruisers near there.

A though was also the home of Kitakami, it was a very bad place to be with the Lesboat afoot. It could hide in there, and throw down 2 20 Torp Skill walls that delete DDs and CAs.

 

 

There is, it's a strategy in the "How to: Lose" section.

 

But yes, outside of solo ninja caps, teams should commit to two adjacent caps, because splitting your force is a bad idea. Similarly, on Domination matches where you can circle [E.G. Two brothers] it's better to full commit to one side.

I agree that teams should commit to 2 caps. But most times what you get is lemming trains that get bogged down at the 1 cap they sailed to. While the other team takes the other 2 facing light defense. A lemming train must NEVER STOP PUSHING to be successful. And what you find instead is players hiding behind islands, while those that are trying to push and cap, get focused and sunk because the other team is pushing effectively.

Not many like actually pushing a B cap. And to find BB and CA at higher tiers pushing a B cap at the beginning is a rare sight. I don't think that there is one strategy that can be held higher than others. Too many variables in game that make a great plan in the beginning become a bad plan real quick. I'm not trying to say that a no strategy game is smart. I think each flag must be tested with varying numbers of ships given spawn locations. A BB that spawns closer to C but sails to A at the beginning is D.U.M.B. And you see it happen almost every single game because of these so called "divided and conquered strats."  

Leaving uncontested caps to the other team is bad news. At least send a few ships to keep the cap reset so they have trouble capping it quick. Leaving caps uncontested will soon find yourself boxed in and losing more times than not. 

 

 

Edited by Nighthawk_604

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,731 posts
5,464 battles
2 hours ago, AirshipCanon said:

No, that's old Hotspot.

The good ole "sucks to be a CV today" map.

CVs started in spotting range of enemy battleships, the spawns were diagonal, there was more asteroid field to pardon, and if both teams decide to charge forward from their spawn [which were sectioned by islands, you'd get a clusterfuck in the middle, and IIRC, the Encounter gametype could happen on that map with the center of the map being the cap. [TBF it wasn't just CVs and BBs lit along the middle line of split, DDs also started lit]

 

The old layout is why Hotspot had that "Go West" tactic that quickly became exemplar of "how to lose by CCing your own Team" when they fixed up the map.

Hotspot had two variants with the split spawns. The one you see in that image, with 3 caps. The other one had 5 caps, one at each spawn location, and one slightly larger one in the center.

I thought the 5 cap map worked well. Each team essentially started with two bases, and the center was uncapped. It was up to the team to decide to pincer a flank or go for the center, but it definitely provided more variance as it was easier to sway cap advantage between teams. I'd personally like to see the old 5 cap Hotspot back, just to see how it would play in the current meta.

 

Edit: Here's an image of what the 5 base version looked like.

Spoiler

post-1002276027-0-19906200-1435865344.jp

I honestly thought that the above version of Hotspot was decent, even with the split spawns, simply because the base locations forced the teams to move differently than the standard or 3 cap version.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,293 posts
7,966 battles
5 hours ago, Nighthawk_604 said:

ROFL

There is no meaning behind Divided and Conquered

There is however meaning behind Divide and Conquer.

Where did you come up with that nonsense?

 

 

 

 

I've often observed teams that have become divided and subsequently conquered as a result.  That's simple past tense.  Neither divide nor conquer are proper nouns therefore they should not be capitalized unless they appear at the beginning of a sentence.  

 

The nonsense is all yours, indeed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×