You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ctrl_alt_derp

Installer unable to move cef_browser_process.exe file to cef folder

2 comments in this topic

[-RF-]
Beta Testers
2 posts
1,714 battles

I am having an error when trying to update or install the game.  The Launcher shows a critical error during install.

When I checked the log I see this error:

"16/09/2017 16:36:30          move safe: rename: from="C:\Games\World_of_Warships\UpdatesData\client\wows.na_0.6.10.0.278489_client.wgpkg\cef\cef_browser_process.exe" to="C:\Games\World_of_Warships\cef\cef_browser_process.exe", what="move file", msg=""C:\Games\World_of_Warships\UpdatesData\client\wows.na_0.6.10.0.278489_client.wgpkg\cef\cef_browser_process.exe" to "C:\Games\World_of_Warships\cef\cef_browser_process.exe"
system error: (0x5)"Access is denied."" ... retrying in 1 sec (retry 1 of 5)"

I attempted to manually move the file myself and get an error that permission is needed to move the file but get no option to allow it an an administrator.  I am the administrator.

I checked the permissions on the C:\Games\World_of_Warships\cef folder and confirmed that I have full control of the folder.

I re-ran the launcher as admin with no change.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the game completely, no change.

I tried to move another .exe file into the C:\Games\World_of_Warships\cef and it moved fine.

I tried to move the cef_browser_process.exe file to a different folder and it moves fine.

But I cannot move the cef_browser_process.exe file to the C:\Games\World_of_Warships\cef no matter what I try.

Log files attached.

WoWSLauncher.log

WargamingGameUpdater.log

WargamingGameUpdater_host.log

[-RF-]
Beta Testers
2 posts
1,714 battles

So I think I found a solution,

I renamed the "cef" folder to "cef2" then copied the cef_browser_process.exe file and it copied fine.  Then I renamed the folder back to cef and it was fine.  I re-launched the launcher and it is proceeding with the next download of the install.

It appears that my AVG antivirus flagged cef_browser_process.exe as a threat called "IDP.Generic" and put the file in quarantine.  When the installer (and me) tried to put the file back it blocked it.  I added the file path to AVG's exceptions and hopefully that will prevent further issues.