You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Flynag86

Scharnhorst vs Belfast

55 comments in this topic

Members
22 posts
3,052 battles

IF you were going to spend the money; which ship would you buy and why?  And which produces better credits. 

Looks like they are similar in that Scharnhorst is a light BB with torps and Belfast is a CA without torps but has radar and smoke. 

[FDK]
Members
1,070 posts
6,019 battles
Just now, Flynag86 said:

IF you were going to spend the money; which ship would you buy and why?  And which produces better credits. 

Looks like they are similar in that Scharnhorst is a light BB with torps and Belfast is a CA without torps but has radar and smoke. 

Why not both?

• Cool 1

Members
471 posts
1,992 battles
1 minute ago, Xwing_Red1 said:

Why not both?

Maybe the OP doesn't have 70 bucks to spare atm?

OP: It depends on what your looking for really. They are both Tier 7 so their potential for credits is around equal, however Bels get FF in most instances while Shinies can last much longer so take that into consideration.

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Scharnhorst would be my pick. She is fast, well armored, great secondaries, torpedoes, and withering firepower.

• Cool 1

[LANCE]
Members
288 posts
3,087 battles

I have both and so much better in my Shiny-horse than the Belfast. However, my skill level has much to do with that!!

i find in the Belfast that as soon as you're spotted, EVERY gun shoots at you!!

If you do well in cruisers then you'll probably do well in the Belfast. If you're a lower skill level player (sorry, not much into looking up people's stats) then get the Shiny-horse!

Members
341 posts
1,905 battles

I just went through that decision not long ago. Chose the Belfast simply because cruisers are more fun to me (the slowness of BBs in every way just got to me after a while). It fires fast, has radar, has smoke, setting fires isn't too hard.

I get why people call it OP.

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

I'd say the Belfast. It has a lot of tools, but you need a good Commander in it

You also need to learn the ship, but she'll pay dividends if you do.

If you want the same ol, same ol BB experience, then the Scharn is there.

• Cool 2

Members
7,047 posts
4,534 battles
3 minutes ago, Greenday4537 said:

the slowness of BBs in every way just got to me after a while

Just saying, but Scharnhorst is only 2.5 knots slower than the Belfast. 

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,369 posts
7,938 battles

Are you training a captain for either nation, if yes, get it for the one, if not, which line would you like to learn.

Both are good, but require very different skill sets and two very different playstyles. Scharn is a bit more forgiving. While she's classed a BB she really only plays as one against tier 8 or lower. A match with tier 8 BB's as it is, you need to be a bit more careful but against the tier 9 ships, it really is more of a super heavy cruiser. It has torps, don't rely on them. Scharn, and really, at least at tier 7 and 8, the BB's of Germany are cruiser hunters, that is their bread and butter, Scharn most of all.

Belfast, really, it's more like an oversized DD with no torps, relies on it's smoke, being smoked, abusing spotting mechanics, or the enemy being low health or a DD - what it's really meant to hunt.

[KP]
Members
1,991 posts
18,368 battles

My first 200K plus match was in a Belfast I have done 197K in the Scharn. As far as getting shot at in the Belfast it's all in how play and position your self. In over 500 battles I have been Dev strike like once or twice. Scharnhorst's has [edited] guns with [edited] dispersion. Belfast all day everyday. I have just under 300 battles in Scharn and haven't touched it in over 3 months.

[NDA]
Supertester
4,770 posts
13,562 battles

OP you just asked use to pick between to of the best ships at T7. 

Both, Both are good, heck in the right hands they are down right Over Powered.

The Scharnhorst is listed as a Battleship, plays like a heavy Cruiser but the ship has a Destroyer complex. If you like getting into peoples face and the Idea of great secondaries with a Torpedo trump card makes you smile than get this ship.

The Belfast needs some skill to keep alive but she packs the tools to ruin any ones day, Battleships burn them, Cruisers get AP to the Citadel and Destroyers are not safe. 

If you have the money get both. 

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,417 battles

I have both. While Belfast is a damn fun ship to play ans is very strong in capable hands, Scharnhorst is just the more user friendly and utility ship.

[DETN8]
Beta Testers
760 posts
5,783 battles

I have both and although I don't played them all that often, I find them both equally good and fun to play. If I was forced to keep only one, I would keep the Belfast. 

Members
22 posts
3,052 battles

I'm leaning toward Scharnhorst because one, I like BBs.  and two I'm not that skilled a player so maybe the shiny BB is the way to go.  I'd like to be able to train my German CC so that would be a plus as well.

Members
3,621 posts
13,402 battles

I've played both. I still have, and always will have, Scharnie. I wasn't impressed with Belfast, I think Fiji is better.

If you play Cruisers a lot, you'll do well with Scharnhorst. She's pretty much a Heavy Cruiser with Battleship armor.

[HELLS]
Members
1,684 posts
15,160 battles

I own both (if you can call owning pixels on a computer screen ownsership!).  I stink in Scharnhorst but do OK in Belfast. Depends on your play style or preference.

[--O--]
Members
186 posts
17,859 battles

Belfast can play any tier well enough, scharn cant, t9's which you will get all the time will do bad things to you as will enemy cvs

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,257 battles
1 hour ago, WanderingGhost said:

Are you training a captain for either nation, if yes, get it for the one, if not, which line would you like to learn.

Both are good, but require very different skill sets and two very different playstyles. Scharn is a bit more forgiving. While she's classed a BB she really only plays as one against tier 8 or lower. A match with tier 8 BB's as it is, you need to be a bit more careful but against the tier 9 ships, it really is more of a super heavy cruiser. It has torps, don't rely on them. Scharn, and really, at least at tier 7 and 8, the BB's of Germany are cruiser hunters, that is their bread and butter, Scharn most of all.

Belfast, really, it's more like an oversized DD with no torps, relies on it's smoke, being smoked, abusing spotting mechanics, or the enemy being low health or a DD - what it's really meant to hunt.

IMO, the Belfast is actually a less than optimal trainer ship.  Why?  Because its capabilities and skill needs for an optimal Belfast captain do not synergize well with the cruisers in the regular RN tech tree.  Belfasts have HE and regular AP, while the regular tech tree RN cruisers have no HE, and thus get no benefit from some of the usual cruiser skills, like IFHE or DE.  So if you want to get the most out of a Belfast, you might need a Belfast specific captain.

On the flip side, the Scharnhorst, in spite of it being what one might think of as a light battleship, doesn't appear to have this problem as a crew trainer.  I don't have it (at least, yet), but I have played the Gneisenau, Bismarck, and FDG and it seems to me that any captain who is optimized for those German BB's would do just fine in the Scharnhorst.

• Cool 1

[SCTFB]
[SCTFB]
Beta Testers
3,920 posts
14,604 battles

The look you get when the Belfast's smoke fades right in front of your  Scharnhorst's guns

1b2.png

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
3,457 posts
5,653 battles

Do you have a spare 14-point RN cruiser captain that you are willing to dedicate to a premium ship and cannot share with other tech tree cruisers? If yes, go mutilate and pulverize dds with Belfast and pull off stupid sh*t like this.

Screen_Shot_2017-09-14_at_22.31.37.png?w

If no, go drive and shoot like a drunk with impunity.

Edited by The_first_harbinger
  • Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,311 posts
11,415 battles

Shiny horse.

2ndary build.

Oh the tears.

Don't forget torpedoes for extra excitement.

Belfast getting nerfed next patch due to smoke mechanics.