Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Saxxonknight

Fighter Strafe & Dogfights

8 comments in this topic

[SXXKT]
Members
49 posts
3,699 battles

Apparently sometime over several months a change was made allowing fighters to strafe out of a dogfight.  I've had enemy squadrons tied up with numerical superiority and then they dash off in a strafe while my fighters sit still.  They should be at the least following the enemy formation, not stationary on the map fighting against nothing.  Further, if the enemy is going to run and show their tails, they should take some heavy damage (or annihilation to faster fighters.)

Not sure when the change was put in, I know a year or so ago I'd tried to strafe passing bombers with fighters engaged in a dogfight and they wouldn't move, so this must be newer (hadn't tried that since).

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,335 posts
9,424 battles

I've played with it a bit.

Most of the time, RNG determines what happens.  In random, I've had manual strafes delayed by more than one second after command.

It only works reliably in Co-OP.

If two players disengage by strafe, ONLY the first one Alt-Clicked will disengage.  The other squad is frozen and is subject to immediate re-strafe by the one who disengaged -- frozen for an 'RNG' period of time.

Some missions I can do it with devastating effect, some are a complete waste of effort.

And so the rules change in the game.  You learn to fight a certain way..  then..  OH SURPRISE.  someone changes it, doesn't announce it, and thus learn the hard way until you finally get a clue and try it.

Please review the extensive CV training videos (from 3 years ago) found on-line.  You will find yourself screaming...

"WHAT THE $%#^ BUTTONS ARE YOU PRESSING TO DO THAT??"

Members
7,047 posts
4,534 battles
29 minutes ago, Saxxonknight said:

Apparently sometime over several months a change was made allowing fighters to strafe out of a dogfight.  I've had enemy squadrons tied up with numerical superiority and then they dash off in a strafe while my fighters sit still.  They should be at the least following the enemy formation, not stationary on the map fighting against nothing.  Further, if the enemy is going to run and show their tails, they should take some heavy damage (or annihilation to faster fighters.)

Not sure when the change was put in, I know a year or so ago I'd tried to strafe passing bombers with fighters engaged in a dogfight and they wouldn't move, so this must be newer (hadn't tried that since).

They do. With the exception of the Saipan, all other carriers lose one plane from the squadron for exit strafing. 

Members
1,604 posts
3,573 battles
3 hours ago, Aduial said:

They do. With the exception of the Saipan, all other carriers lose one plane from the squadron for exit strafing. 

Losing a single plane is hardly heavy damage and it defeats the purpose of using fighters to protect your bombers.  The only counter to strafing is strafing and it makes for a very lack luster,  twitch gameplay environment that runs counter to the more strategic gameplay CV's are supposed to embody.  Further its one more element that CV players have to pay attention to on a class that already has to pay attention to everything.  Basically all its doing is chasing away more CV players at this point,  people who are already tired of potentially astronomical AA numbers who don't also want to have to worry about the enemy CV plowing down their planes while they were busy maneuvering their ship or trying to line up a bombing run while under AA fire.

• Cool 2

[SXXKT]
Members
49 posts
3,699 battles
20 hours ago, Palladia said:

Losing a single plane is hardly heavy damage and it defeats the purpose of using fighters to protect your bombers.  The only counter to strafing is strafing and it makes for a very lack luster,  twitch gameplay environment that runs counter to the more strategic gameplay CV's are supposed to embody.  Further its one more element that CV players have to pay attention to on a class that already has to pay attention to everything.  Basically all its doing is chasing away more CV players at this point,  people who are already tired of potentially astronomical AA numbers who don't also want to have to worry about the enemy CV plowing down their planes while they were busy maneuvering their ship or trying to line up a bombing run while under AA fire.

The thing that bugs me the most about AA fire is ships that are firing it - yet aren't visible while doing it.  IE behind a mountain (if the mountain was in the way of view, their guns couldn't/shouldn't physically hit you), or sitting in smoke (planes hovering right above would see the ship and gun flashes as a smoke screen is that, a screen against surface detection - it was in fact of limited use against aircraft and if it obscured their view it also obscured yours).  Having a Des Moines 8km distant shooting thru a mountain while shielded from view controls their entire center of some maps from aircraft, if you venture near you lose most of your planes.

I'd say the penalty for strafing out of a fight is too light.  If you ignore the fighters attacking you to go after the bombers they are going to take a heavy toll, its not like they don't have the same or similar ability to follow.  Definitely a broken mechanic.

[EASY]
[EASY]
Members
80 posts
12,442 battles

I have a CV questions.  Don't know i turn it on - wish i could disable it and filed tickets asking wth but somehow multiple waypoints gets turned on for my aircraft which means no matter what i tell them - once activated the will got to the first place then second and I CAN'T for the life of me figure out HOW TO TURN THIS OFF.  i have highlighted the squadron - clicked esc key - ctl+A -- Shift+A -- tried everything but still my planes circle around like IDIOTS ---please HOW DO YOU AT LEAST STOP THE MADNESS

Members
5 posts

I just noticed this too, just now, in a match against a Saipan. I'm playing AS Ranger against a strike Saipan, and when my fighters engaged his, he strafed out of the fight while my fighters just sat there. This is absolute nonsense! No engaged squadron would let another just disengage and fly away no matter what the disengaging flight leader might hope for, nor would the engaged squadron just SIT THERE and beg to be strafed from the same planes with which they were JUST engaged!. 

• Cool 1

[SXXKT]
Members
49 posts
3,699 battles

Interesting turn in another thread on this which was something of thought long ago.

Straying should be a fighter attack on ships, more dangerous to a DD with its thinner armor vs .50cal/20mm.  Damage vs ships light to moderate, but good chance at disabling AA guns with exposed crews and starting fires.  Thus woukd make AS more versatile with better damage potential and given that option make AS on other side less ruinous to a Strike captains game (fighters that attack ship won't have ammo to last a dog fight).

Sign in to follow this