You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lert

The strangest battle of WWII, the battle for Castle Itter

14 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Supertester
18,898 posts
12,421 battles

Called 'the strangest battle of the war' by some, the Battle for Castle Itter marks what is believed to be the only time during the war where German Wehrmacht troops fought alongside US Army troops against a common enemy. Also the only time in history where US troops defended a medieval castle.

Read more about the battle here.

• Cool 6

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,703 posts
11,317 battles

Great story. Can't believe it hasn't been made a movie yet. I have heard the story told differently in some stories. The first time I heard the story of the battle it included that along with the French VIPs that were being held at the Castle, some of their mistresses were also held there. According the the story some of the mistress even took up arms.  That mental image of VIPs, French Mistresses, US & German troops defending a medieval castle together always tickled me. 

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
18,898 posts
12,421 battles
8 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Can't believe it hasn't been made a movie yet.

Agreed. Though the problem would be selling to a US audience that there's a difference between Wehrmacht and Nazis and not all Germans were racist white supremacists during WWII.

8 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

According the the story some of the mistress even took up arms.

I don't know about mistresses, just that the VIPs that were there also took up arms and fought alongside. I'm sure that if a movie were to be made Hollywood could invent a few mistresses.

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
40 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Great story. Can't believe it hasn't been made a movie yet.

It may not have been a movie, but Sabaton made a song about it.

Also yes Lert! I love this story! Thanks for sharing! :Smile_great:

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,703 posts
11,317 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

I don't know about mistresses, just that the VIPs that were there also took up arms and fought alongside. I'm sure that if a movie were to be made Hollywood could invent a few mistresses.

The mistresses could have very well been embellishment on behalf of the story teller but it's a little element of the story I liked and chose to believe. 

[-TAB-]
Members
1,597 posts
5,126 battles

so that's where south park got their animation style! I knew it had to be something strange and arcane like that... 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,106 posts
8,738 battles
1 hour ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Great story. Can't believe it hasn't been made a movie yet. I have heard the story told differently in some stories. The first time I heard the story of the battle it included that along with the French VIPs that were being held at the Castle, some of their mistresses were also held there. According the the story some of the mistress even took up arms.  That mental image of VIPs, French Mistresses, US & German troops defending a medieval castle together always tickled me. 

1 hour ago, Lert said:

Agreed. Though the problem would be selling to a US audience that there's a difference between Wehrmacht and Nazis and not all Germans were racist white supremacists during WWII.

The book, The Last Battle by Stephen Harding https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Battle_(Harding)  has the mistresses. As far selling it to an American audience I think the story itself would do that just fine with it being obvious that Gangl and his men are with the Austrian resistance.

There is a movie in the works.

Edit: How can it not be a great war movie with a tank named Besotten/Besotted Jenny.

1,542 posts
26 battles

Really interesting! This certainly would make a great movie (dare I say it, a comedy maybe! It sounds so bonkers! Like a Carry On movie! Carry On Rescuing maybe?)

Would be weird to see soldiers from an old castle like that! AND a tennis player running through gunfire for help! That's so crazy! 

Be nice to see a movie represent Germans and Americans as allies. I feel like movies often cast Germans only in a poor light, or as the villains, and this would be a nice way to introduce them to the hero roles.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,538 posts
13,977 battles

I remember running into the wikipedia article on this somehow a year or two ago.  Very strange battle.  If you told me the story and I didn't know of the event beforehand, I'd tell you you were telling me the plot of some action movie.  Actual history is full of crazy stuff.

On 10/19/2017 at 8:44 AM, WolfofWarship said:

Really interesting! This certainly would make a great movie (dare I say it, a comedy maybe! It sounds so bonkers! Like a Carry On movie! Carry On Rescuing maybe?)

Would be weird to see soldiers from an old castle like that! AND a tennis player running through gunfire for help! That's so crazy! 

Be nice to see a movie represent Germans and Americans as allies. I feel like movies often cast Germans only in a poor light, or as the villains, and this would be a nice way to introduce them to the hero roles.

It'll be weird to watch.  American soldiers and German Heer on the same side fighting against Waffen-SS in some sort of rescue mission.  Honestly, the idea really looked like it could have been done in some of the crazy WWII films done in the 1960s-1970s.  Surprised it never happened.

As for the depiction of a military outside of a nation's movie producing demographic, that's pretty hard to come across, at least for WWII and later conflict.  For Hollywood, that hasn't really happened since the first few decades after WWII.  The closest Hollywood has gotten for a wider aspect in a war movie was, IMO, The Longest Day.  Lots of different scenes showcasing different nationalities.  The different Allied beach landings, airborne drops.  The Germans get some good screentime also.  I really did like how the movie tried to show as many angles as possible.

Then you also had Tora! Tora! Tora!, though it was a bit more US-centric but it went into both US & Japanese perspectives leading to the attack.

A rarity was The Eagle Has Landed with Michael Caine as an officer of Fallschirmjager on a crazy mission in Britain.  My only caveat to this was they weren't Germans speaking German at the beginning while outside the UK, something I like in war movies where people are speaking in their native tongue.

All this was 60s-70s.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,106 posts
8,738 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I remember running into the wikipedia article on this somehow a year or two ago.  Very strange battle.  If you told me the story and I didn't know of the event beforehand, I'd tell you you were telling me the plot of some action movie.  Actual history is full of crazy stuff.

It'll be weird to watch.  American soldiers and German Heer on the same side fighting against Waffen-SS in some sort of rescue mission.  Honestly, the idea really looked like it could have been done in some of the crazy WWII films done in the 1960s-1970s.  Surprised it never happened.

As for the depiction of a military outside of a nation's movie producing demographic, that's pretty hard to come across, at least for WWII and later conflict.  For Hollywood, that hasn't really happened since the first few decades after WWII.  The closest Hollywood has gotten for a wider aspect in a war movie was, IMO, The Longest Day.  Lots of different scenes showcasing different nationalities.  The different Allied beach landings, airborne drops.  The Germans get some good screentime also.  I really did like how the movie tried to show as many angles as possible.

Then you also had Tora! Tora! Tora!, though it was a bit more US-centric but it went into both US & Japanese perspectives leading to the attack.

A rarity was The Eagle Has Landed with Michael Caine as an officer of Fallschirmjager on a crazy mission in Britain.  My only caveat to this was they weren't Germans speaking German at the beginning while outside the UK, something I like in war movies where people are speaking in their native tongue.

All this was 60s-70s.

To be done right something like this would need to be mostly produced outside of Hollywood and only use them for distribution sort of like Master and Commander: the Far Side of the World