Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

When to use the Sierra Mike Flag

14 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,807 battles

Had trouble at first with the Isokaze, but am getting better.  I also play USN and German dds, so the SM flag is pretty important.  It's been a given to use the flag in every battle, but I'm thinking now that I should be more judicious in my use.  What to you guys think?

The attached file is to show that my dd driving is getting better.

Capture.JPG

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

I tend to horde my signals, except for those that give credits, Xp, etc..

When I do use the others, it's usually for special occasions like Ranked, but this is just me and my view. I have a crap ton stored up over the years.

I guess it's just personal opinion on how you use them. Those signals can't be bought, you have to earn them in one way or another.

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 2

Members
4,743 posts
5,464 battles

When you gotta go fast.

But in all seriousness, the sierra mike signal gets more use, in my opinion, out of the slower IJN DDs. Fubuki, Shiratsuyu, Kagero, Akizuki, Yuugumo. Though the faster DDs also benefit from them greatly as it lets them reposition even quicker. Sierra mike will up Akatsuki to 40kts without engine boost, Minekaze/Kamikaze to over 40kts without engine boost.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[TF16B]
Members
8,063 posts
16,998 battles

What Ghost said; plus this; if it's some battle where you're trying to get a specific objective accomplished? Use a signal, take every advatage you ca. If it's just a 'meh, I'll fight a few rounds before work/bed/whatever,' then using signals isn't as critical. There are times where I won't use any signals because I'd prefer to same them for something else.

Ranked of course; fly every signal you can that's applicable.

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

I try to use it on my destroyers that are slower and need it. Like as said above, Shiratsuyu, Akizuki, etc.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,658 posts
8,045 battles

Putting speed flag on DD that goes  35kts or less is really useful.

Putting it on a DD with 36kts or more is still usefull but to me it's a waste. You have the speed to comfortably avoid incoming shells / bail out .

Also your stat just show that you have a better mastery of your ship. Having a speed flag or not isn't a big deal if you already know how to play the ship

Edited by AlcatrazNC

Members
1,634 posts
9,728 battles

I do not run any combat flags in randoms.  Even on my T10s.  I farm flags for ranked and competitive play.

This strategy paid off this last ranked season where flags were hard to get in the 5-2 bracket.

[CVA16]
Members
2,174 posts
9,626 battles

Shiratsuyu is one ship that desperately needs a speed flag. Without it most cruisers can out run you (with it all the DDs (except Shiratsuyu and Akizuki) can still out run you). Akizuki comes in a close second but it has the guns to make pursuit painful while the Shiratsuyu has the dilemma that using its guns means it is visible longer. Problem is I, and I assume most people, don't have an endless supply of the things. Waiting for 4 in a container hardly keeps up with demand. Wish I could trade those worthless ramming flags for speed flags. I'd even do a 2 or 3 for 1 swap. Anyway, I will tend to save them for battles where I have an objective like a mission or bonus XP. They can make a Fujin way more fun.

[PVE]
Members
5,311 posts
17,781 battles
On 9/16/2017 at 0:50 PM, Wulfgarn said:

I tend to horde my signals, except for those that give credits, Xp, etc..

When I do use the others, it's usually for special occasions like Ranked, but this is just me and my view. I have a crap ton stored up over the years.

I guess it's just personal opinion on how you use them. Those signals can't be bought, you have to earn them in one way or another.

I do the same thing with a couple of exceptions. I always use the speed flag on the Graf Spee and the Okhotnik. It really makes them great ships. I always use economic flags on the first wins for Tiripitz since the earnings are huge with her. Other than that I rarely use a signal or premium consumable and save them for ranked play. I have multiple hundreds of combat signals (most of them in the 500 - 800 range) and like 600 premium damage control consumables. The others I have really never paid attention to but I imagine the numbers of them are high as well. The economic signals is where I always feel poor, most are right around 100 or less. 

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,841 battles
On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 10:16 AM, AMajor said:

Had trouble at first with the Isokaze

Isokaze (and every other IJN DD you will play) is NOT about speed, it is about stealth. Not seen is ALWAYS preferable to sailing away fast.

[CVA16]
Members
2,174 posts
9,626 battles
1 hour ago, Umikami said:

Isokaze (and every other IJN DD you will play) is NOT about speed, it is about stealth. Not seen is ALWAYS preferable to sailing away fast.

I agree but speed plays a factor. You generally need to be faster than your prey. You will rarely be the fastest DD on the map and are faster than the BBs BUT you need the speed to outrun red cruisers heading your way so that you won't be spotted. Having a 33-34 knot ship when there are  cruisers that are faster and some BBs almost as fast can be problematic for remaining unseen and disastrous if you end up getting spotted. Since maneuvering bleeds speed, you often need a few extra knots to stay hidden.

Personally, I screw up regularly and end up closer than I intended to the target as I launch torps. The extra speed along with speed boost can make the difference in how many salvos come my way before I disappear.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,841 battles
6 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

I agree but speed plays a factor.

Sure it is, absolutely, and if I can please have some extra I won't complain a bit. But when it comes to want and need, stealth is a need, speed is a want.

6 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Personally, I screw up regularly and end up closer than I intended to the target as I launch torps. The extra speed along with speed boost can make the difference in how many salvos come my way before I disappear.

You, me, and every other DD captain in the game, LOL!!

[SCREW]
Members
28 posts
5,958 battles

Just wondering... how many times are Hotel Yankee flags are really useful?  I don't recall ever putting them on past using them on a T3  bb.  And I keep getting them in containers!  

Edited by Disciplyne
clarify

Members
623 posts
6,893 battles
On 9/16/2017 at 10:16 AM, AMajor said:

Had trouble at first with the Isokaze, but am getting better.  I also play USN and German dds, so the SM flag is pretty important.  It's been a given to use the flag in every battle, but I'm thinking now that I should be more judicious in my use.  What to you guys think?

The attached file is to show that my dd driving is getting better.

Capture.JPG

I save them for the higher tiers. There's so much more there that can go wrong, every advantage helps.

Sign in to follow this