You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
OldFrog75

Tier II DDs?

29 comments in this topic

Members
163 posts
411 battles

New player here.  Of the 4 options I see available on the Tech Tree, which is the best Tier II DD for learning how to play with torpedoes?

[HINON]
Supertester
18,902 posts
12,435 battles

The Japanese one. The German one is a good second option.

Members
6,620 posts
25,236 battles

I second the motion. Japanese DDs are all about torpedoes (except one higher up the tiers).

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,705 posts
11,320 battles

Yea, like Lert said.  I like the German one better though cause the forward torps are fun, allowing for a different playstyle.  The IJN DDs is still probably the "better" pure torpedo boat though.  

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Tacking on to the others, the IJN have been torpedo focused from the beginning. With good stealth, good torpedoes, and good maneuverability, they have been solid for a long time.

They can be tricky, and there is one destroyer that plays nothing like her national brethren, but they can pay out really well to a solid player.

Members
163 posts
411 battles

Thanks for the feedback.  I bought the Umikaze as suggested.   I'm going to transfer the Commander from the Tier I ship (and sell it to reopen the Port slot).   My guess is Free Training is probably a fairly quick grind in Tier II but I can't find anything in the Wiki (or Google) that specifically addresses the question:

How much XP is required to train a new Commander (without any skills) from 50% => 100%?    

Edited by OldFrog75

Members
163 posts
411 battles
1 hour ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander#Retraining_Commanders

The wiki has a chart on that. A commander with no skills requires zero XP to retrain. 

I reviewed the Wiki chart before I posted the thread but like many things in WG wiki, it didn't provide me with an unequivocal answer to my very specific question:

Does a Commander with 0 skills move to a new ship with 100% of his Major Qualification (Commander) intact without any decline in overall ship performance if you select the 50% Free Training option, or does he need to be retrained as a Commander?

If he does require new training, how big of a grind is it?

Edited by OldFrog75

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,128 posts
8,749 battles

The US and RU DD's are gunboats with torpedoes until the upper tiers which will teach you to maneuver while under fire.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,311 posts
11,415 battles

Umikaze is a beast.

30 sec reload on 3 double launchers 7km range.

She is the best ship at low tiers.

Her concealment is awesome. 

CORRECTION:

Torpedoes: 2 x 2 8 km range (mine reloads in 24 seconds)

Concealment, mine is 4.9 with cammo and concealment expert.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,705 posts
11,320 battles
1 hour ago, OldFrog75 said:

I reviewed the Wiki chart before I posted the thread but like many things in WG wiki, it didn't provide me with an unequivocal answer to my very specific question:

Does a Commander with 0 skills move to a new ship with 100% of his Major Qualification (Commander) intact without any decline in overall ship performance if you select the 50% Free Training option, or does he need to be retrained as a Commander?

If he does require new training, how big of a grind is it?

A zero skill commander shouldn't take more than a match to retrain (but he does still have to be retrained), even without the 50% option. While retraining a captains skills work at only 50% efficiency, but if he doesn't have any skill points then there is no difference in performance between trained or retraining.  I use the 50% option when retraining captains with skill points and it doesn't become much of a grind until after they have a high number of skill points. Using the gold option to retrain is something I reserve for only highly skilled (18/19pt) captains. 

Members
163 posts
411 battles
7 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

A zero skill commander shouldn't take more than a match to retrain (but he does still have to be retrained), even without the 50% option. While retraining a captains skills work at only 50% efficiency, but if he doesn't have any skill points then there is no difference in performance between trained or retraining.  I use the 50% option when retraining captains with skill points and it doesn't become much of a grind until after they have a high number of skill points. Using the gold option to retrain is something I reserve for only highly skilled (18/19pt) captains. 

Thanks  :cap_like:

[WOLF4]
Members
173 posts
1,280 battles

I found the Russian DD in low tier matches as the best so far especially with their wall of death they can lay down tier 2 gave you 3x3 and tier 5x2 but they are very low range. I found so far the Germans to be the best overall so far their torps seem to not be spotted as far out as the Japanese and as a result you get more hits. Plus you have guns that you can use when turning about if you need to. I will say that tier 6 on the German side has been a little ruff but I'm starting to get a feel for her.

[GLF]
Members
767 posts
9,000 battles
On 9/16/2017 at 11:51 AM, dEsTurbed1 said:

Umikaze is a beast.

30 sec reload on 3 double launchers 7km range.

She is the best ship at low tiers.

Her concealment is awesome. 

Dude.  What stats are you imagining? 

Umi does not have 3 launchers

Umi does not have 30 second reload

Umi does not have 7km torps

You nailed the trifecta of wrong.  

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
3,311 posts
11,415 battles
2 hours ago, AnimaL21 said:

Dude.  What stats are you imagining? 

Umi does not have 3 launchers

Umi does not have 30 second reload

Umi does not have 7km torps

You nailed the trifecta of wrong.  

I was going off memory, sorry.

Corrected my original post.

You are right,  launchers are 2 x 2.

You are right,  reload with skill is 24 seconds.

You are right, range is 8 km.

[GLF]
Members
767 posts
9,000 battles
1 hour ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

I was going off memory, sorry.

Corrected my original post.

You are right,  launchers are 2 x 2.

You are right,  reload with skill is 24 seconds.

You are right, range is 8 km.

24 is without skill btw, but I already blasted you for wrongness once.  lol  

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
3,311 posts
11,415 battles

Dang it. I thought I had reload boost on my commander, I was wrong. Leveling my 3rd commander for that ship.

:)

[GLF]
Members
767 posts
9,000 battles

Its a fun ship especially with TAE and AR and low health.   I always purposely get spotted early so I can start taking damage to get a good kick in AR.  Then I disappear for the rest of the match.  

My most recent Kraken/SoloWarrior was with umikaze.  Went 1 vs 5 and it was a bloodbath for that other team.  

Members
163 posts
411 battles
4 minutes ago, AnimaL21 said:

Its a fun ship especially with TAE and AR and low health.  

TAE and AR? 

[GLF]
Members
767 posts
9,000 battles

Sorry, i forgot, noobs look at these:

Tier 3 captain skill:   Torpedo armament expertise  (-10% to reload time)

Tier 2 captain skill:    Adrenaline rush (works its way up to -20% to reload time as you lose health)

These effects stack

Edited by AnimaL21

Members
163 posts
411 battles
2 minutes ago, AnimaL21 said:

Sorry, i forgot, noobs look at these:

Tier 3 captain skill:   Torpedo armament expertise  (-10% to reload time)

Tier 2 captain skill:    Adrenaline rush (works its way up to -20% to reload time as you lose health)

Actually a noob (or is it newb?) started this thread....:cap_cool:

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,796 battles
On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 8:27 AM, Lert said:

The Japanese one.

Umikaze is a great ship, easy to learn and fun to play. This is the ship you want to learn to IJN Torp with because it operates exactly like it's tier 9 and 10 brethren.

Some players like the Russian DD because of the many torps it carries (or is that the tier 3 DD?). Fun but dangerous because torps have no friends.

[GLF]
Members
767 posts
9,000 battles
21 hours ago, Umikami said:

Umikaze is a great ship, easy to learn and fun to play. This is the ship you want to learn to IJN Torp with because it operates exactly like it's tier 9 and 10 brethren.

Only without the broken 11+km radar [edited] you have to put up with at those levels.  

I do agree with your statements as a whole, but from a "learning IJNDD" standpoint, I think wakatake will teach you to pick your shots better than umi will.  With Umi more torps are such a short wait it teaches you to spam more.  Waka at least makes you wait 38 seconds with only 2 launchers.  You, or at least I, tend to watch opponents and pick shots more carefully.   This practice, ultimately to me, is what mid thru high tier IJN DD is all about because most of the boats in the grind only have 2 launchers so you need to make that work with extreme reload times.   Alas most people move through to isokaze after like 7 games of waka and I think they miss a lot there.  My game got a ton better when i went back to wakatake and learned more.  Isokaze and Minekaze let you spam again so the necessity to pick shots isn't there, but does teach stealth I suppose.  

All that said above, it was not about T2 boats.   Umi used to be my favorite ship in the game, and still has the first of my many 19pt captains assigned.  

Now, easily, favorite ship is v-25.  And hey, thats a T2 dd also, so it belongs here in discussion.   

V-25, 10 point captain with CE.  The detection!   The guns.  The torps, The trollz.  The lolz.    

I even just had a 8 kill, 145k damage game with it on wednesday.  

Members
163 posts
411 battles
1 hour ago, AnimaL21 said:

I do agree with your statements as a whole, but from a "learning IJNDD" standpoint, I think wakatake will teach you to pick your shots better than umi will.  With Umi more torps are such a short wait it teaches you to spam more.  Waka at least makes you wait 38 seconds with only 2 launchers.  You, or at least I, tend to watch opponents and pick shots more carefully.   This practice, ultimately to me, is what mid thru high tier IJN DD is all about because most of the boats in the grind only have 2 launchers so you need to make that work with extreme reload times.   Alas most people move through to isokaze after like 7 games of waka and I think they miss a lot there.  My game got a ton better when i went back to wakatake and learned more.  Isokaze and Minekaze let you spam again so the necessity to pick shots isn't there, but does teach stealth I suppose.  

All that said above, it was not about T2 boats.   Umi used to be my favorite ship in the game, and still has the first of my many 19pt captains assigned.  

Now, easily, favorite ship is v-25.  And hey, thats a T2 dd also, so it belongs here in discussion.   

V-25, 10 point captain with CE.  The detection!   The guns.  The torps, The trollz.  The lolz.    

I even just had a 8 kill, 145k damage game with it on wednesday.  

Too advanced for me to worry about at the moment.  :Smile_amazed:

I'm still trying to figure out how to:  target a ship, switch to Torps, line up the Green and Gray cones, fire my Torps, and get the hell out of Dodge without getting killed.  :Smile_Default: