Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Grathew

AP Bombs and Torpedo Replacement

13 comments in this topic

[M_L]
[M_L]
Beta Testers
321 posts
8,831 battles

I was playing the GZ TEST 1 and had a thought: WG wanted to remove the torpedoes because they weren't OP enough against battleships and too OP against Destroyers. now the first test has 18 AP bombers that are almost as accurate and reliable as torpedo bombers but they don't damage Destroyers due to their lack of armor. Now clearly this requires more testing to 'prove' that this is the point of GZ TEST 1 but I think it's what WG wanted with the AP bombs in the first place. Which if this is roughly what WG wants for AP bombs then I could see the USN being able to get a 0/1/1/2 or 0/1/2/1 depending on if we do Fighters/Torpedo Bombers/AP Dives/HE Dives or Fighters/Torpedo Bombers/HE Dives/AP Dives. Or swapping out the Torpedo bombers for AP bombers as the AP bombs do similar damage to a torpedo (8400 GZ AP vs 8567 IJN Torpedo). Now the AP bomb is more likely to deal a larger portion of that damage, but no fire/flood chance thus no DOT stacking. I could be wrong about WG's intention here but if that was an option in the future (maybe with the carrier rework that is coming in valve time). I'd take it, as I prefer more of an Alpha strike carrier to a DOT carrier. Yet to be honest this is all speculation right now. 

• Cool 1

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,465 posts
6,648 battles

I have understood things differently, as regards WG's intentions (long term) for GZ. They have not finished perfecting and testing the deep running torpedos, when they are ready, we can expect a torpedo option for GZ, but not before. Then we will have 2 viable loadouts for GZ, one with HE dive bombers that is flexible and tactically optimized for random battles involving all sorts of targets, from dds to bbs, and another with special TOP SECRET torpedos that are only effective against a specific class (like dds). In practice, like now, most players will still prefer the HE dive bombers, because they offer consistent point and click success versus ALL targets. (easy mode, for people like me)/

Why do I say this? Because WG has plans to shakeup the Carrier meta, I am sure of it.

I'll bet a full doublon on the matter.

planned Graf Zeppelin torpedos :

Members
64 posts
2 hours ago, nuttybiscuit said:

I have understood things differently, as regards WG's intentions (long term) for GZ. They have not finished perfecting and testing the deep running torpedos, when they are ready, we can expect a torpedo option for GZ, but not before. Then we will have 2 viable loadouts for GZ, one with HE dive bombers that is flexible and tactically optimized for random battles involving all sorts of targets, from dds to bbs, and another with special TOP SECRET torpedos that are only effective against a specific class (like dds). In practice, like now, most players will still prefer the HE dive bombers, because they offer consistent point and click success versus ALL targets. (easy mode, for people like me)/

Why do I say this? Because WG has plans to shakeup the Carrier meta, I am sure of it.

Reveal hidden contents

I agree. A 2 Fighter (buffed), 2 AP, 2 HE or 2 Fighter (buffed), 4 HE configuration might not be bad. Also, you can always add another loadout later that has TBs. Just need to test it and see that it is balanced an not OP. Thank goodness they are getting input from the player base. Also, I say this a lot, but WG please think about an audio file with the Jericho Trumphet that would sound when the DB are making their attack run. It would be really be cool, interesting, original, and it would make the GZ both fun to play and to play against. My 2 cents. 

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,465 posts
6,648 battles
13 minutes ago, Roamer0101 said:

So once I learned to Manual drop the AP bombs good things happened on GZ1.

shot-17.09.16_14.30.48-0721.jpg

shot-17.09.16_14.32.48-0528.jpg

That looks pretty good, if it were common and not exceptional. A good game with HE in the premium shop version gets the same or better with less effort.

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
175 posts
2,455 battles

2nd game with the GZ1. Yeah the BB crowd isnt going to like this setup, as this thing simply CAN delete BB's.The Colorado was a one shot. Curious to see if I can get these results against 9 and 10's. 

shot-17.09.16_14.49.47-0482.jpg

shot-17.09.16_14.49.53-0303.jpg

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
175 posts
2,455 battles
4 minutes ago, nuttybiscuit said:

That looks pretty good, if it were common and not exceptional. A good game with HE in the premium shop version gets the same or better with less effort.

Agree, 

But the HE loadout takes time. Right now I'm one shotting BB's of same tier in one pass. People aren't going to like that. Now these BB's were alone without CA cover so thats a bad play move by them. 

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,465 posts
6,648 battles
2 minutes ago, Roamer0101 said:

Agree, 

But the HE loadout takes time. Right now I'm one shotting BB's of same tier in one pass. People aren't going to like that. Now these BB's were alone without CA cover so thats a bad play move by them. 

What would happen in a match with t10s? At least with HE you are viable against t10 dds.

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
175 posts
2,455 battles
15 minutes ago, nuttybiscuit said:

What would happen in a match with t10s? At least with HE you are viable against t10 dds.

Aye,

So far no real luck against t10 with either ship and its AP. 

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,465 posts
6,648 battles
3 minutes ago, Roamer0101 said:

Aye,

So far no real luck against t10 with either ship and its AP. 

For me this is the big issue with the AP/HE debate, as long as we cannot switch from HE to AP on demand, like battleships can, then this means HE will remain the default loadout/

[DHO-2]
Alpha Tester
656 posts
1,550 battles

Still think that, after you drop your bombs & are returning, you should be able to select which type you'll get at reload.  ...Maybe add a slight reload time penalty if switching to a type different than what you just released.  

Hopefully someone one will suggest this on the FB page.

Edited by gbgentry

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,465 posts
6,648 battles
27 minutes ago, gbgentry said:

Still think that, after you drop your bombs & are returning, you should be able to select which type you'll get at reload.  ...Maybe add a slight reload time penalty if switching to a type different than what you just released.  

Hopefully someone one will suggest this on the FB page.

Maybe if several people did, completely spontaneously of course.

[M_L]
[M_L]
Beta Testers
321 posts
8,831 battles
10 hours ago, nuttybiscuit said:

The only upside to deep running torpedoes is stealth. Carrier torpedoes have no stealth. Thus putting those torpedoes on Graf or any other carrier would be a waste of time and effort, and I wouldn't use them. And to be blunt I'll fight that idea where ever and however I can because of it. AP bombs are simply an easier and better way of implementing an Anti BB weapon than a deep running torpedo for the aircraft carrier. 

Sign in to follow this