You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ir_killer

not enough cruiser variety

34 comments in this topic

Members
56 posts
899 battles

so all the cruisers are seriously either he spamming [edited], or battleships. why not add more variety, like medium cruisers. some cruisers will be like the british cruisers but a bit more beefier and dont totally look like a battleship. add more cruiser variety id like to have for instance a rapid firing short range cruiser that doesnt die so fast from citadels and fires torps. like a medium range cruiser. just do what the russian dds did branch off into a second branch in a cruiser line for lets say umm... japs or the russians. give them cruisers that are actuall CRUISERS. Like 90% of all cruisers are just watered down bb's that have rapid firing ability.

Members
1,780 posts
5,641 battles

You miss the point of this game. The ships are modeled to represent the actual ship, in ballistics and Armour. There are small tweaks for balance but its your job to use the ability of the ship. This game is trying not to be sci-fi with laser's or shields. :cap_look:

Members
56 posts
899 battles
Just now, Raven114 said:

You miss the point of this game. The ships are modeled to represent the actual ship, in ballistics and Armour. There are small tweaks for balance but its your job to use the ability of the ship. This game is trying not to be sci-fi with laser's or shields. :cap_look:

wat.

[HINON]
Supertester
7,520 posts
7,578 battles

There is plenty of cruiser variety. The devs have also stated that with the exception of the USN cruiser split in 2018, there won't be any more line splits until all the tech trees are filled up for the major nations. So you're going to be waiting a good long while. At least another 2 years.

Edited by renegadestatuz
  • Cool 3

[USCC2]
Members
3,432 posts
55 minutes ago, renegadestatuz said:

There is plenty of cruiser variety. The devs have also stated that with the exception of the USN cruiser split in 2018, there won't be any more line splits until all the tech trees are filled up for the major nations. So you're going to waiting a good long while. At least another 2 years.

This!

You have long range, short range, weak armour, strong armour, slow and fast ships, different torps and consumables. The Cruiser is one of the most varied and versatile ships out there.

• Cool 5

[HINON]
Supertester
7,520 posts
7,578 battles
3 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

This!

You have long range, short range, weak armour, strong armour, slow and fast ships, different torps and consumables. The Cruiser is one of the most varied and versatile ships out there.

:Smile_great: And an upvote for you.

Members
17,791 posts
5,084 battles
1 hour ago, ir_killer said:

wat.

What he's saying is that, to get the kind of cruisers you want, somebody has to have ben built or planned, or at least drawn on a napkin by a naval engineer, because the ships in game are all modelled after real ones.

Cruisers are like they are in the game because that's what cruisers were actually like.

Members
17,791 posts
5,084 battles
5 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

This!

I love my cruisers. I really like Roon. I just unlocked FdG, and I'm scared to buy it in case I don't like it anywhere near as much lol.

[USCC2]
Members
3,432 posts
6 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I love my cruisers. I really like Roon. I just unlocked FdG, and I'm scared to buy it in case I don't like it anywhere near as much lol.

I've got to the Fiji - researched but have been waiting for the sale. Seems the sale starts at Tier VIII lol.

Sure the last sale was for Tiers I-V. Maybe, they aren't going to put Fiji on discount as it's at a popular Tier(?). Was hoping to put Jack in it, he's getting board sitting in port. :Smile_Default:

Members
17,791 posts
5,084 battles
21 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

I've got to the Fiji - researched but have been waiting for the sale. Seems the sale starts at Tier VIII lol.

Sure the last sale was for Tiers I-V. Maybe, they aren't going to put Fiji on discount as it's at a popular Tier(?). Was hoping to put Jack in it, he's getting board sitting in port. :Smile_Default:

You sure? I seem to remember going to sell Tier 7 ships and being warned they were on sale. It was late though, could be misremembering. I want to say T5 and up are on sale.

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Who Is talking scrap about my cruisers?

Cruisers are some of the funnest ships to play due to their versatility, usability, and fun factor. 

I don't see what the problem is. :fish_book:

• Cool 1

[USCC2]
Members
3,432 posts
14 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

You sure? I seem to remember going to sell Tier 7 ships and being warned they were on sale. It was late though, could be misremembering. I want to say T5 and up are on sale.

Possibly my mind going lol.

I know I got the points for Fiji just as the Jack Dunkirk info came out (just before Dunkirk started; maybe when being tested on PTS?). Been looking for the sale - a couple of weeks back it was the lower tiers, now it seems the higher tiers (except for Russian and Japanese ships - all on sale). Not to worry, I'm patient. :Smile_honoring:

Edited by _WaveRider_

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,298 battles
2 hours ago, ir_killer said:

wat.

wat?  You're asking for the unrealistic.  There's already too much fake crap in the game due to this national flavor nonsense.

Members
17,791 posts
5,084 battles

Your patience will be rewarded.

I like Fiji a lot, and I don't even like or use offensive smoke that much....

Members
17,791 posts
5,084 battles

give them cruisers that are actuall CRUISERS. 

Lol that's not what you want at all, because that's what we have already....

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,298 battles
4 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Your patience will be rewarded.

I like Fiji a lot, and I don't even like or use offensive smoke that much....

Yeah, I dislike the entire RN CL line meta of using offensive smoke, mostly because I hate offensive smoke with a bloody passion and would love to see the devs turn smoke into what it always was ... a defensive tool, used for hiding yourself and disengaging from the enemy.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,298 battles

so all the cruisers are seriously either he spamming [edited], or battleships. why not add more variety, like medium cruisers. some cruisers will be like the british cruisers but a bit more beefier and dont totally look like a battleship. add more cruiser variety id like to have for instance a rapid firing short range cruiser that doesnt die so fast from citadels and fires torps. like a medium range cruiser. just do what the russian dds did branch off into a second branch in a cruiser line for lets say umm... japs or the russians. give them cruisers that are actuall CRUISERS. Like 90% of all cruisers are just watered down bb's that have rapid firing ability.

And what do you think are "cruisers that are actually CRUISERS"?  The cruisers the Russians have prior to tier 9 are light cruisers, and the ones after are heavy cruisers.  As for the Japanese, exactly what about the existing IJN cruisers makes them NOT cruisers?  They're certainly cruisers.  They're the cruisers the IJN actually built, for crying out loud!!!  Do you think that the IJN didn't know what an "actual" cruiser really was?

Alpha Tester
2,285 posts
4,368 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

Yeah, I dislike the entire RN CL line meta of using offensive smoke, mostly because I hate offensive smoke with a bloody passion and would love to see the devs turn smoke into what it always was ... a defensive tool, used for hiding yourself and disengaging from the enemy.

I agree, and far be it from me to cite reality in this game, but in my mind, a little bit of reality here would be good..    using smoke should, in my mind and as a suggestion, disable your guns from firing, or your torpedoes launching for the duration of the smoke.

That is how it was used for a single ship..  and for anything looking through smoke should not be able to see ship positions on minimap where obscured by smoke.

However thats just me  ya know? :)

M

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,430 battles

Levy5W6.jpg

Members
17,791 posts
5,084 battles
6 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Usually what I do, is use it for island ambushes. Shoot the enemy as they come around an island at 7-8km, pop smoke, and GTFO while shooting, keeping the smoke between us, and then stop as soon as I get to 11km, so I'm dark when it clears.

Some of my favorite targets are RN CLs that you fire at, and then hold off on the next salvo until they slow down to hide in their smoke cloud. And once they stop, they make great torp targets.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,298 battles
4 minutes ago, MaliceA4Thought said:

I agree, and far be it from me to cite reality in this game, but in my mind, a little bit of reality here would be good..    using smoke should, in my mind and as a suggestion, disable your guns from firing, or your torpedoes launching for the duration of the smoke.

That is how it was used for a single ship..  and for anything looking through smoke should not be able to see ship positions on minimap where obscured by smoke.

However thats just me  ya know? :)

M

What I'd do if I had my druthers regarding smoke would be some or all of the following.

1. If you're in the smoke, you can't see anything and will not see any ships on your HUD.  And thus have nothing to fire at.  You can fire your weapons all you want, but since you see nothing, you'd be truly firing blind.

2. If an friendly outside the smoke spots anything, it shows up on the minimap only.  Thus, you know roughly where they are, but since you can't see them on the HUD, you can't target them.

3. You can use radar or hydro to try to spot stuff outside the smoke, and anything you spot using Radar or Hydro will show up on the HUD and is targetable. 

And in the category of "if I really had my druthers"...

A. You would only be able to shoot at things your own ship spots.  Enemies spotted by friendlies (by any means) would only show up on the minimap, nothing more.  

B. No more spotting planes or cat fighters spotting things in a way that makes them targetable.  They can spot, but only put what they see on the minimap.  Information given to you verbally (over a radio) by some guy in a plane is simply not sufficiently good enough to generate a targeting solution on any enemy he spots.

Would this make spotting planes pointless?  Yeah, probably.  Too bad.  They were scout planes, not range extending miracle workers.  

Combining points A and B, would this mean that ships hiding behind islands would be able to see enemies and thus target them?  No, of course not.  And nor should they.  Also, radar or hydro probably shouldn't work through islands either, but I'd probably see that as a corner case due to outside of game issues, though I wish that it would be fixed.

Now, do I think that any of this would happen?  Probably not.  But I think the game would be much better if it did.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,298 battles
11 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Usually what I do, is use it for island ambushes. Shoot the enemy as they come around an island at 7-8km, pop smoke, and GTFO while shooting, keeping the smoke between us, and then stop as soon as I get to 11km, so I'm dark when it clears.

Some of my favorite targets are RN CLs that you fire at, and then hold off on the next salvo until they slow down to hide in their smoke cloud. And once they stop, they make great torp targets.

Skp, to be honest, much as I hate offensive smoke, I won't refuse to use a tool that's in the game as long as it's available.  I just wish that offensive smoke was changed into defensive smoke.  

Not only do I hate having ships being able to fire at will unseen from smoke, I hate how offensive smoke really ruins the game by making game play so much more static and passive.  It's probably the worst thing about ranked game play.

[PROJX]
Members
967 posts
15,484 battles
2 hours ago, renegadestatuz said:

There is plenty of cruiser variety. The devs have also stated that with the exception of the USN cruiser split in 2018, there won't be any more line splits until all the tech trees are filled up for the major nations. So you're going to waiting a good long while. At least another 2 years.

For those who haven't been thru how WG has done line splits in the past - this is a fantastic opportunity to pick up free Cruisers if you already have the cruiser at a Tier affected by the line split.  WG in the past will provide you the split line ship if you have a ship in port that is affected by the line split or changes tiers due to the line split.  Though you have to complete upgrading & adding the modules to fully upgrade the ship, you'll get the new ship for free if you have the right ships in port at the time of the split.   This is what WG did when they split/retiered the Russian & IJN DD lines.

To make sure you're positioned for this, when the announcement re: details of the split are released, make sure you have the ships affected by the split in port (i.e. Ships in the affected tiers & those that will be moving tiers) & this will get you the new ships when the line split actually happens.