You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
jammer476

Des Moines Captain skills advice

18 comments in this topic

Members
4 posts
1,679 battles

I would like some advice for skill points . I see folks skilling Expert Marksman when you only get 0.7 sec for the caliber of the main gun. Is it worth it for two points. Any other suggestions?

Currently:

Priority Target

Incoming Fire Alert

Expert Marksman

Survivability

Demolition.

Want IF for HE as my next skill and then Concealment. 

thanks for advice

Edited by jammer476

Members
1,130 posts
6,721 battles

you dont want IFHE on the DM and   You will want concealment as your first tier 4 skill.  The DM is a very squishy ship, and one that gets targeted the moment it is spotted.  It also makes your radar range closer to your concealment, which makes it easier to use said radar.

incoming fire alert is a waste of a point.  you do not want to be waiting until someone is shooting at you to evade.  you want to be doing it before they fire, which is something PT helps with. 

survivability as in the one that gives you HP per tier?  if that is the case, that is a no as well.  there are much better skills to take over that one at tier 3. 

DE is not a bad choice, but i prefer other skills.  the DM fires fast enough that you will get your fires if you aim accurately. 

expert marksmen is not a bad skill either, but also not necessary. 

here is mine.

22769DD39BEA80FA0838179A9223189BA9A3AA30

PT to know if or how many people are aiming at me.  also useful to see if DDs are torping you. 

AR to fire faster the more damage i take.  the guns turn well enough without making EM necessary

Super intendent for the extra radar, heal, and DF.

concealment as i said above.

from there, i think i went for AFT for better AA

then i went vigilance.  as a DD hunter, it is nice knowing when those torps are coming.   though if you run hydro rather DF because of how rare CVs are, it may not be as worth it.

i then took EM because why not.  makes it a little easier to spin the guns around.   jack of all trades wouldn't be too bad either.

other useful skills would be faster ammo switching, less time on fire and what not, DE for more fires, jack of all trades, BFT for better AA, same for manual AA.  if you are a big believer in RPF, maybe that as well to track down DDs.  how you play and if you play in divs will make some of these skills more or less useful.  

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,950 posts
1,487 battles
14 minutes ago, Frederick_The_Great said:

you dont want IFHE on the DM and   You will want concealment as your first tier 4 skill.  The DM is a very squishy ship, and one that gets targeted the moment it is spotted.  It also makes your radar range closer to your concealment, which makes it easier to use said radar.

incoming fire alert is a waste of a point.  you do not want to be waiting until someone is shooting at you to evade.  you want to be doing it before they fire, which is something PT helps with. 

survivability as in the one that gives you HP per tier?  if that is the case, that is a no as well.  there are much better skills to take over that one at tier 3. 

DE is not a bad choice, but i prefer other skills.  the DM fires fast enough that you will get your fires if you aim accurately. 

expert marksmen is not a bad skill either, but also not necessary. 

here is mine.

22769DD39BEA80FA0838179A9223189BA9A3AA30

PT to know if or how many people are aiming at me.  also useful to see if DDs are torping you. 

AR to fire faster the more damage i take.  the guns turn well enough without making EM necessary

Super intendent for the extra radar, heal, and DF.

concealment as i said above.

from there, i think i went for AFT for better AA

then i went vigilance.  as a DD hunter, it is nice knowing when those torps are coming.   though if you run hydro rather DF because of how rare CVs are, it may not be as worth it.

i then took EM because why not.  makes it a little easier to spin the guns around.   jack of all trades wouldn't be too bad either.

other useful skills would be faster ammo switching, less time on fire and what not, DE for more fires, jack of all trades, BFT for better AA, same for manual AA.  if you are a big believer in RPF, maybe that as well to track down DDs.  how you play and if you play in divs will make some of these skills more or less useful.  

It's possibble he has SE from the prior ships, pepsi and especially NO really need it IMO.

Members
2,459 posts
12,213 battles

1 Priority Target, expert loader

2 Adrenaline rush

3 Superintendent

4 AFT, RPF and concealment 

I used to laugh at cruisers with RPF now called Radio Location until I watched Cat on Board play his.

Members
1,130 posts
6,721 battles
Just now, Carl said:

It's possibble he has SE from the prior ships, pepsi and especially NO really need it IMO.

eh, i wouldn't say so.  SI would still be better on the NO, or DE than the hp perk,

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,950 posts
1,487 battles

SI is a complete waste on the NO, you've nothing you should ever be running out of. DE is a maybe but the NO is the lowest HP cruiser in her tier and the Pepsi doesn't really have enough of anything else so anything you can buff up is a really good idea.

[RUST]
Alpha Tester
884 posts
3,403 battles

This is how I have my DM Captain built and modules equipped.

Yes, I could probably eek out a little more performance going for a straight gun build, but the DM is already pretty vicious if you play to her strengths, and I enjoy shooting down entire strike waves so I went with a hybrid Gun/AA build.

I also like this build as I can stick this captain in any Premium USN ship and he work fairly well, allowing me to collect Elite XP just a bit faster which I then use on other nations captains.

One note on the modules. Once I get the Radar Special module, thats going in. Nothing like 56 seconds of radar.

DM Build.png

[-K-]
Members
663 posts
6,931 battles

Expert Marksman works well for my build with Steven Seagal. Utilizing his perks has made my build kind of funky though, but it works.

Here is the rest of my build for 17 points. The last 2 points will probably go to Jack of All Trades or I'll just respec the whole build.

Spoiler

shot-17_09.16_08_35.18-0544.thumb.jpg.28cb92393323393331acc091cd458f04.jpg

Members
1,130 posts
6,721 battles
27 minutes ago, Carl said:

SI is a complete waste on the NO, you've nothing you should ever be running out of. DE is a maybe but the NO is the lowest HP cruiser in her tier and the Pepsi doesn't really have enough of anything else so anything you can buff up is a really good idea.

Radar?  I've gone through all my radars before.  I even ran hydro on my NO, and it was pretty useful.  I spotted a lot of torps, and hunted a lot of DDs.  Tier 10 matches every match didn't help, but that is the nature of tier 8.  find some nice island with your great concealment, and go to town spotting everything.  you can get to spots that your DM or balti cant, or at least not as easily. 

you gain something like 2800 or so Hp from that perk?  not a lot on a squishy cruiser.  DE will help you get more damage per battle from fires, and helps make up for the slow ROF on the NO anyways.  SI for the extra team support via radar.  you will want to spec out of SE anyways at tier 9 for SI.   for the extra heal  i doubt the extra HP will help that much on such a squishy ship.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,950 posts
1,487 battles
34 minutes ago, Frederick_The_Great said:

Radar?  I've gone through all my radars before.  I even ran hydro on my NO, and it was pretty useful.  I spotted a lot of torps, and hunted a lot of DDs.  Tier 10 matches every match didn't help, but that is the nature of tier 8.  find some nice island with your great concealment, and go to town spotting everything.  you can get to spots that your DM or balti cant, or at least not as easily. 

you gain something like 2800 or so Hp from that perk?  not a lot on a squishy cruiser.  DE will help you get more damage per battle from fires, and helps make up for the slow ROF on the NO anyways.  SI for the extra team support via radar.  you will want to spec out of SE anyways at tier 9 for SI.   for the extra heal  i doubt the extra HP will help that much on such a squishy ship.

If your reguarly running out of radars your firing them off when you shouldn't be. 

And the fact the ships is squashy is exactly why SE is so powerful. It will keep you alive in a lot of situations where you'd otherwise be dead. SE's power is inversely proportional to your max health, on a ship like NO thats got the worst in tier it's incredible.

[-K-]
Members
663 posts
6,931 battles
17 minutes ago, Carl said:

If your reguarly running out of radars your firing them off when you shouldn't be. 

And the fact the ships is squashy is exactly why SE is so powerful. It will keep you alive in a lot of situations where you'd otherwise be dead. SE's power is inversely proportional to your max health, on a ship like NO thats got the worst in tier it's incredible.

I only recommend SE on DD's, where the % increase in health makes it more worthwhile. For a cruiser, it's usefulness is not nearly as noticeable. Sure you will find yourself alive in situations where you otherwise would not be, but I'd still prefer to have Superintendent for when that captain makes its way into the Baltimore with a heal. There are more important places for those 3 points in your build.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,950 posts
1,487 battles
1 minute ago, mmfullen said:

I only recommend SE on DD's, where the % increase in health makes it more worthwhile. For a cruiser, it's usefulness is not nearly as noticeable. Sure you will find yourself alive in situations where you otherwise would not be, but I'd still prefer to have Superintendent for when that captain makes its way into the Baltimore with a heal. There are more important places for those 3 points in your build.

I'd never recommend using the captain you'd use in your Baltimore in your NO. They have completely different priorities.

[-K-]
Members
663 posts
6,931 battles
7 minutes ago, Carl said:

I'd never recommend using the captain you'd use in your Baltimore in your NO. They have completely different priorities.

Some people don't have the doubloons to respec a captain or the patience to start over. I still wouldn't recommend using SE on the New Orleans. For a 3 point perk with more importance I'd say either BFT for buffing the "meh" AA or Demo Expert. Vigilance would have more use as a passive hydro since I run Defensive Fire on all of mine.

I'll have to buy back the New Orleans regardless since I just got the new camo for it. I sold it as soon as I could, because I did not enjoy that ship back in the day.

Members
1,130 posts
6,721 battles
9 minutes ago, Carl said:

what?  with all the smoked up ships, and DDs in general, you should be using your radar often, and properly.  Not sure why your first thought to using all your Radars was that you aren't using them properly.  the amount of radars used does not = poor play.   4 quality radars in a match is great.  it can win matches.  not to mention with 4 radars, you can be a little more free with how you use them.  with 2 or 3, you have to make sure they all count and be even more careful when you pop them, as you don't want to be at the end of a match with no Radars left vs a DD.  the radar range on the NO is practically the same as its detection range(like half a kilometer.) which makes you really deadly when you ambush someone. 

as for SE, that is more useful on ships with very low health, aka DDs.  on cruisers and up the benefits are minor.(35k to 38k roughly on the NO)  there are other skills you can take that would more than make up for the extra 2k+ in health in a battle.  sure, there will always be times where you live with a few hundred health, or a thousand or 2.(even without the skill)  but how often will those come up?  how often will that thousand or 2 Hp win you the match?  not that often.  more than likely, you will barely live, maybe get one more shot off before you die.  if you are lucky, you will manage to get into cover, and spend most of the match hiding in smoke or lobbing shells over mountains hoping you don't eat the one shell that would kill you,  

anyways, yes, you can spec your captain differently depending on the ship instead of planning ahead on the line.   i dont like wasting doubloons, or com xp to change my commanders skills.  so i build my captain for the ship i plan on stopping at in the line.(so i made my captain ready for when he gets to the DM.  well, i have the DM, but that is what i did)  In the OPs case, they didn't do that.  they want IFHE, which isn't useful past the cleveland.  SE isn't that useful on a DM.  SI is. 

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,950 posts
1,487 battles
2 minutes ago, mmfullen said:

Some people don't have the doubloons to respec a captain or the patience to start over. I still wouldn't recommend using SE on the New Orleans. For a 3 point perk with more importance I'd say either BFT for buffing the "meh" AA or Demo Expert. Vigilance would have more use as a passive hydro since I run Defensive Fire on all of mine.

I'll have to buy back the New Orleans regardless since I just got the new camo for it. I sold it as soon as I could, because I did not enjoy that ship back in the day.

BFt is worthless, AFT or Manual AA would add more for just one point more and the AAA is so meh it just totally isn't worth bothering. The only T8 with worse AAA is the Mogami, and thats entierly a side effect of the beta switchero.

3 minutes ago, Frederick_The_Great said:

what?  with all the smoked up ships, and DDs in general, you should be using your radar often, and properly.  Not sure why your first thought to using all your Radars was that you aren't using them properly.  the amount of radars used does not = poor play.   4 quality radars in a match is great.  it can win matches.  not to mention with 4 radars, you can be a little more free with how you use them.  with 2 or 3, you have to make sure they all count and be even more careful when you pop them, as you don't want to be at the end of a match with no Radars left vs a DD.  the radar range on the NO is practically the same as its detection range(like half a kilometer.) which makes you really deadly when you ambush someone. 

as for SE, that is more useful on ships with very low health, aka DDs.  on cruisers and up the benefits are minor.(35k to 38k roughly on the NO)  there are other skills you can take that would more than make up for the extra 2k+ in health in a battle.  sure, there will always be times where you live with a few hundred health, or a thousand or 2.(even without the skill)  but how often will those come up?  how often will that thousand or 2 Hp win you the match?  not that often.  more than likely, you will barely live, maybe get one more shot off before you die.  if you are lucky, you will manage to get into cover, and spend most of the match hiding in smoke or lobbing shells over mountains hoping you don't eat the one shell that would kill you,  

anyways, yes, you can spec your captain differently depending on the ship instead of planning ahead on the line.   i dont like wasting doubloons, or com xp to change my commanders skills.  so i build my captain for the ship i plan on stopping at in the line.(so i made my captain ready for when he gets to the DM.  well, i have the DM, but that is what i did)  In the OPs case, they didn't do that.  they want IFHE, which isn't useful past the cleveland.  SE isn't that useful on a DM.  SI is. 

I say your not using it properly, because thats what it take to burn them all in a match on a regular enough basis that you would need SI.

Radar requires 3 things.

1. Be in range. Your a cruiser, not a DD, if your reguarly within 10km of a large chunk of the enemy team your win rate, average damage, and survival will suck because your going to die quick and early. A lot. Getting that close requires specific circumstances and team backup to make it work unless you can somehow get yourself and an enemy isolated on one flank. Random teammate will not allways oblige you. All of my worst NO matches where games where i got aggressive positioning early on and the team turned and ran after i got in position leaving me hung out to dry. So i got very cagey about getting into those situations unless i was sure of support.

2. Be in a position where lighting the radar will offer a tangible benefit. Spotting enemies behind an island or in a smoke cloud is not a benefit. Spotting enemies in a smoke cloud or behind an island that can be shot at and either killed or, (and only if their occupying an appropriately problematic position like island/smoke near a friendly BB or a cap), driven off is a benefit. I see a lot of radar users waste charges lighting stuff in any smoke cloud or behind any island in rnage regardless of weather they or their team can achieve anything useful on what they light up. Thats a wasted radar charge.

Don't get me wrong, i've had plenty of matches where i've run out and a few of those where i could have used another charge late on. But it's a rare enough occurrence i just never felt the need. Now if your playing division that may shake things up, your more likely to have people in place to take advantage of what you light and the support to make being highly aggressive in your positioning work. But i assume no div's. Coordinated Div's are fairly rare compared to random players.

Members
1,130 posts
6,721 battles
7 minutes ago, Carl said:

BFt is worthless, AFT or Manual AA would add more for just one point more and the AAA is so meh it just totally isn't worth bothering. The only T8 with worse AAA is the Mogami, and thats entierly a side effect of the beta switchero.

I say your not using it properly, because thats what it take to burn them all in a match on a regular enough basis that you would need SI.

Radar requires 3 things.

1. Be in range. Your a cruiser, not a DD, if your reguarly within 10km of a large chunk of the enemy team your win rate, average damage, and survival will suck because your going to die quick and early. A lot. Getting that close requires specific circumstances and team backup to make it work unless you can somehow get yourself and an enemy isolated on one flank. Random teammate will not allways oblige you. All of my worst NO matches where games where i got aggressive positioning early on and the team turned and ran after i got in position leaving me hung out to dry. So i got very cagey about getting into those situations unless i was sure of support.

2. Be in a position where lighting the radar will offer a tangible benefit. Spotting enemies behind an island or in a smoke cloud is not a benefit. Spotting enemies in a smoke cloud or behind an island that can be shot at and either killed or, (and only if their occupying an appropriately problematic position like island/smoke near a friendly BB or a cap), driven off is a benefit. I see a lot of radar users waste charges lighting stuff in any smoke cloud or behind any island in rnage regardless of weather they or their team can achieve anything useful on what they light up. Thats a wasted radar charge.

Don't get me wrong, i've had plenty of matches where i've run out and a few of those where i could have used another charge late on. But it's a rare enough occurrence i just never felt the need. Now if your playing division that may shake things up, your more likely to have people in place to take advantage of what you light and the support to make being highly aggressive in your positioning work. But i assume no div's. Coordinated Div's are fairly rare compared to random players.

I too found the AA worthless on the NO outside of DF.   and with CVs being really rare at that time, it is why i ran hydro instead.

as for radar usage.  I am well aware when it should be used.  i often type when i will be using it, and i make sure the target i am radaring is somewhere i or others can shoot it. 

i too know the feeling of having teamamtes just up and run away for no reason, leaving you in a bad spot.  it has gotten me killed several times.  at the same time, if you have a decent team, if you are in that spot, you can make a big impact.   high risk and reward at times.  i like to think i am pretty aggressive as a US CA player, so i dont mind taking the risk.   sadly, there are some maps being aggressive is not an option.  i don't play with divs either. 

The NO having 9km or so of detection means you have a lot more room to move around the map, even get close to caps without being seen.   and if you are seen, you can pop radar and almost be guaranteed they will be spotted. 

as for teammates.  Yea, relying on randoms suck.  when i had the NO, teammates were more likely to smoke you up compared to today.  near the end before i got the balti, i really started to enjoy the NO.  sadly, i think the last buff it received was just after i got the balti or around that time, so i didn't get to experience that.  same goes for the pepsi buffs. 

but yea, i see a lot of bad radar uses.   I try to make sure each one of mine counts, and for the most part they always do.  though, i will say that a radar that people cant use to damage, but just threaten to do damage will make DDs or what not run away, even if they weren't in any real danger.  just the idea of being radared and targeted is enough to scare them off.  it takes a good captain to know that they arent in any danger in their DD or whatever, and stay where they are rather than run away.