You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Citrusss

Two engine setup

7 comments in this topic

Members
1,044 posts
8,288 battles

Back in their days, destroyers had a single engine setup, which was good until navies realized that losing a single engine will cause a big deal of problems while trying to fix it in the open sea and so at certain point two engine setup because standard increasing survivability. 

But i have a weird feeling that in WOWS 2 engine setup reduces it. By having 2 engine modules it knocks out the engine on DD twice as fast as the area to be hit is twice as big. Is that a correct assumption?

[HINON]
Members
8,809 posts

DDs are tin cans with thin armor and massive engines, so its easy to hit the engine room. Now thankfully you have magical captain skills and modules to negate this.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,674 posts
7,501 battles

What I'd like with 2 engines is having one full ahead the other full astern ... that succer would turn on a dime .. alas it'll never happen 

[-VT3-]
Members
1,606 posts
3,346 battles

I seem to recall the Nurnberg having this problem when it was first released.  IRL, Nurnberg had both a set of steam turbines as well as 4 two-stroke diesel engines.  I'm not entirely sure why such an arrangement was chosen, but in theory, it would allow the ship to continue functioning if one of the two systems failed.

Ingame, that was not the case.  At the time of its launch, Nurnberg was NOTORIOUS for losing its engine with nearly every salvo it took.  Front, sides, rear, it didn't matter.  You'd lose your engine on the first hit, only to lose it again on the next salvo if you repaired.  

It was theorized that the irl ship's dual-system arrangement resulted in an abnormally large engine hitbox.  Perhaps that was the case, and WG eventually cut that hitbox down to just the steam engines, or just the diesels.  Or, perhaps it was just a bug.  Regardless, the problem was addressed somewhat quickly.  

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,311 posts
9,395 battles
18 minutes ago, DerKrampus said:

I seem to recall the Nurnberg having this problem when it was first released.  IRL, Nurnberg had both a set of steam turbines as well as 4 two-stroke diesel engines.  I'm not entirely sure why such an arrangement was chosen, but in theory, it would allow the ship to continue functioning if one of the two systems failed.

The diesel's were for long range cruising, and a combination of the two were needed for maximum speed.

[-VT3-]
Members
1,606 posts
3,346 battles
8 hours ago, SgtBeltfed said:

The diesel's were for long range cruising, and a combination of the two were needed for maximum speed.

Ah, there we go.  Thank you.