Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ikeystonei

Hindenburg Tips Please

16 comments in this topic

[PLPT]
Members
9,915 posts
10,450 battles

HE........ Kite.......... HE.......... KITE..........did I mention HE???

this might help too

Edited by pmgaudio

[-VT3-]
Members
1,628 posts
3,364 battles

I've found the Hindenburg a bit tough to nail down.  It does most things quite well, but only excels at a few of them.

For example, it has long-range, high-velocity guns that are very good at picking off targets at a distance.  But on the other hand, it has a turtleback citadel, good armor (for a cruiser) and a fantastic torpedo set that make it very fearsome up close.  

That said, the safe money for any cruiser is to remain as far away from any potential death-machines as you possibly can, whilst still being able to land shells onto them,

[ANKER]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
1,088 posts
3,292 battles

Don't forget the 2 key exists. Hindy is one of the best cruisers for firing AP at opportunistic targets.

• Cool 1

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,827 posts
9,948 battles

Welcome to the t10 club, i just got my Hindy as well, and due to personal problem, i had no credit to buy upgrades, so i played her at STOCK :Smile_izmena:

I found that she is an upgrade from the Roon, and if a player had grind enough to t10, the experiences are already there. It inside of you urging to come out, dont hold back

xyv7WQH.jpg 

[PLPT]
Members
9,915 posts
10,450 battles
20 hours ago, danredda1616 said:

Don't forget the 2 key exists. Hindy is one of the best cruisers for firing AP at opportunistic targets.

this too...
I mean IMHO the Moskva AP is the only tier ten cruiser AP better than Hindy....but being silver medal AP aint all that bad

Members
317 posts
5,572 battles

Thanks for the tips!

I've been out in 3-4 matches, nothing special yet, but have managed to finish with positive credits in all three, which for me is a win.

[R-R-R]
Members
975 posts
6,656 battles

I think Hindy is currently the best damage dealer among T10 cruisers. Her average damage potential rivals T10 BBs.

I equip reload mod. 8.8 sec reload makes her a monster at mid to close range. I also take spotter plane as occasionally you need longer range to shoot camping BBs. I think range mod should be an okay choice as well if you like staying back more often.

In addition I use steering gear mod 3 + propulsion mod instead of concealment mod. True that I have 13.7km concealment which seems awful. However, my ship's maneuverability is top-notch. Combine this with hindenburg's strong armor, I have no problem dealing with any BB except for Yamatos.

Hindy.PNG

[PVE]
Members
108 posts
10,350 battles

Its taken me 21 months of WOWS but I too have just unlocked my first Tier 10....of course the Hindy. I love it already and its everything I have seen others do with it even with my average ability!...Good Luck to all with the Hindy!

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,209 posts
14,630 battles

Hindenburg has high AP damage value but you don't have favorable bounce angles that RN CL & USN Cruiser AP get.

Hindenburg has high velocity, low shell arcs.  However, a nice "thing" with German AP is unlike the heavier USN Cruiser AP of these tiers, your shells lose their power as they float more at range.  This became evident starting with even Tier V & VI German Cruisers.  Firing AP at long range gets very weak results.

Hindenburg has low HE damage values, Tier VII Yorck, shell for shell, has higher HE damage per shell.  However, Hindy can shoot faster, 8.8 seconds to reload if MBM3 is used.

A little while ago, all German Cruisers got the HE pen buff, basically a "Free IFHE but with no Fire Chance Penalty."

===

What all this means in gunnery is that HE with Hindenburg is your main tool.  Unless you anticipate favorable angles, in which case, unload with AP.  Otherwise, HE them all for consistent damage.  I stress that you need to keep that AP in the back of your mind.  Those opportunities of side salvos into BBs, Cruisers are what really do the big damage numbers.  People can repair back Fire damage.  But citadel strikes, very solid AP salvos are not easy to recover from.  Numerous Cruisers you encounter fall apart with AP into the sides.

===

If Hindenburg has to fight at short range, she's very dangerous, only DM at Tier X Cruisers is more threatening.  DM will out DPS you, Hindenburg has solid armor for short range fighting, torpedoes with great arcs, and guns dangerous for that range.  Hindy is more rounded, DM will turn into an Atlanta slinging 8" shells (DM has sh*t armor but those guns are absolutely dangerous under 10km to anything).

If Hindy can get into a knife fight with a BB, it's over, you won, or at least you've ensured taking the BB with you.  If you get the drop on a BB with Hindy, you can immediately sense the panic of the BB player because Hindy isn't easy to quickly take down in a knife fight, and you are bristling with secondaries, spammy strong guns, and loads of 6km torps.  Unlike Zao who has stronger torps, Hindy has great launch angles for her double sets of torps per side.  Unlike Minotaur who has even better torps with longer range and great launch angles, Hindenburg has armor and not get 1-salvo'd by a BB the way Mino does.  Moskva is a clumsy brute at short range, also lacking in torpedoes and her side protection is nonexistent.

===

Hindenburg access the best hydro in the game, Tier X German Hydro.  The catch is Defensive Fire is in the same consumable slot.  You rarely get to truly exercise Hindy's powerful AA capability as Tier IX-X CVs are so rarely seen.  But if you do an AA Build and have Defensive Fire, Hindy becomes a "No Fly Zone."  However, if you do go with Hydro route, you have peace of mind to use it in more situations than Defensive Fire.  You can always use hydro for flushing out close smoked out targets, torpedo warning.  When Hindenburg gets into island infested parts of a map, that Tier X German Hydro is AMAZING.

So DF or Hydro, AA Build or not, there's merits to either routes.  Take your pick.  There's also choices in between with compromises.

AFT+BFT for decent AA, ASM1+MBM3 for accurate, spammy guns, and Hydro.

Same as before but with Defensive Fire.

AFT+BFT, AAGM2+AAGM3, Defensive Fire for the AA Build

AFT+BFT, SBM2, MBM3, Hydro - Yes, some guys do secondary spec Hindenburg, coupled with that Hydro, she's very nasty in congested maps.

And more varied mixes out there.

Hindenburg can do tons of things.  Have fun in deciding what to make her proficient in.

• Cool 1

[HEROS]
Supertester
1,453 posts
5,532 battles

Not the only video I have on this beast of a ship!  As others have said, the HE and AP dynamic requires constant maintenance to make the most of.  What I mean is that you really have to know when to use AP and when to use HE.  If you can figure that out, there is very little this ship has to feat outside of a Mosvka or Zao at long range spamming you.

Hindenburg is the ONLY T10 I bought the premium camo for (although Shimakaze may be the second one) because she prints huge damage games with high XP and lots of credits.  Currently, on my channel, I have SIX epic battle games, including the one used in the above video.  That's more than any other ship that has been featured in an Epic Battle Replay.

Here is one from a year ago:

And my best game in her to date:

I hope they are of help! :)

Members
187 posts
12,314 battles
On 9/15/2017 at 9:08 PM, DerKrampus said:

remain as far away from any potential death-machines as you possibly can

^Kind of hard when you are one of the "death-machines". :trollface:

[-VT3-]
Members
1,628 posts
3,364 battles
21 minutes ago, Teske said:

^Kind of hard when you are one of the "death-machines". :trollface:

Difference is, a cruiser can be an effective death machine from long range.  At least with the Hindenberg's ballistics.  What I was getting at is that it's a jack of all trades.  It's an adaptable ship, but you need to be able to shift gears and change your play style on the fly if necessary.  One-trick ponies are simple.  Kutuzov? Spam HE from long range, in smoke.  DesMoines?  Get in close, hug some cover, and bully a cap.  Moskva?  Go bow-in and pretend you're a BB.  But Hindenberg?  It's harder to decide just what needs doing.

Members
187 posts
12,314 battles

I know, I'm a proud member of the church of Hindenburg, and I love that I can look at any ship 1v1 and say yep I can take'em. Mine is setup as a "what do you need done?"

[CUTER]
Members
703 posts
19,087 battles

Hinde...tips...murder death kill them all...this thing is a beast.  He on BBs early, AP is ridiculous when used on broadside ships (to include DDs).  12 guns and the quick reload...not to be underestimated.

Hinde1.png

[PVE]
Members
108 posts
10,350 battles

I am now a convert from the Concealment Mod to the Rudder Module. It is making a difference in my results. I still have the Captains Skill however but the added maneuverability  is making a huge difference and I am gonna stick with it.

Sign in to follow this